You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Lost Voice Abilities

Darryl Roach 988606

Darryl Roach 988606
Posted
Posted

I have not had a complaint with the new launch of VRC up until now. I've been using it since the day it was made public and it has worked relatively flawless for me until last night. Voice ATIS has functioned well too.

Last night however when I tried to record my ATIS, all I got was pieces of what I'd tried to record. I didn't log in or do anything different to the client in any way than I normally do. So, I decided to just use the old text ATIS and didn't think anymore of it. However when I came back on to control this morning, it seemed I had lost not only the voice ATIS, but also my ability to transmit via the mic. Voice ATIS was no longer recording anything and thanks to a pilot whom called for a radio check, I found that I was transmitting silence. He couldn't hear me over voice.

I checked everything; settings, transmit/recieve buttons, mic/ouput volumes, etc. I began to think it was another case of a dead headset. But I proved that theory wrong when I logged onto a VA voice server and was able to speak clearly with one of my friends without incident.

Is there anything else that I should check? Would a firewall have something possibly to do with it? I do have one but how come it's worked with VRC just fine up until now? I don't think it's that. I would certainly hope to resolve this issue by tommorow evening or I may have to drop one (or more) of my event reservations.

Darryl Roach

0[/url]

David Jedrejcic
Posted
Posted

Darryl,

I have had voice issues with VRC since the last release - I lose the ability to receive any audio at a random point in time when I'm controlling. Not only does the rx light work and other people are talking to me but I can't hear them, but all of my audio capabilities are gone (outside of VRC as well). What I do is log off and log back on to windows and restart as quick as I can, and everything is usually fine. I have yet to isolate what it is that does this, because I can be on VRC for two minutes and my sound will go out, I can reload again and it will go out in three seconds, or I can be on VRC for five hours without a sinngle problem. People have told me to check my router and all kinds of things, and I have everything set up right. I've wanted to ask the VRC developer about it, but I just haven't had the gumption to write up all the details about my hardware and whatnot and have to ask someone to debug my problem. I just log off and back on, and hope it works longer than it did the last time. Not for nothing, but it didn't do this until the LAST last release (1.1?) or whatever. The one before that I never had this issue. It's a small price to pay for an incredible software package I guess is the way I look at it.

Sorry I'm not of any help - perhaps I'm just jumping on your bandwagon here in case someone knows how to solve MY problem

Is your issue recurring? Can you make it go away by rebooting your machine or something?

David Jedrejcic

vZDC DATM

UVA DCAFO [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant Manager

Darryl Roach 988606
Posted
Posted

Well it's good to know that I'm not the only person with the problem. So far restarting hasn't seemed to solve it. Last night I was getting half of everything I said, then this morning I got absolutely nothing. Maybe I'll try a reboot once more to see if it works.

Darryl Roach

0[/url]

Darryl Roach 988606
Posted
Posted

After more playing around with it and whatnot, I have come to the conclusion that it's a bug that has to do with the voice ATIS. Every time I try to start the radar client and record an ATIS, I get bits and pieces (and on rare occasions the full thing) or what I tried to record. But then if I have to talk on frequency or update the ATIS, all I get is static. This needs to be fixed.

Darryl Roach

0[/url]

Darryl Roach 988606
Posted
Posted

Never mind...turns out it was my headset after all. This is the second one to go out on me in four months. David, I certainly hope you get your problem resolved whatever it may be.

Darryl Roach

0[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
David Jedrejcic
Posted
Posted

Nah, I've given up hope on it. Imight write the VRC developer one day, but I'll just deal. Glad your setup is working finally (again).

David Jedrejcic

vZDC DATM

UVA DCAFO [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant Manager