You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FNO Motored to Detroit, MI (KDTW), June 1, 2007

Karen Dunbar 1002434

Karen Dunbar 1002434
Posted
Posted

Well, the engines were roaring as all kinds of makes and models started to roll into Motor City. This week, we had representatives from 62 different VAs, judging from the callsigns. American again led the stats on the number of aircraft operating in the airspace at one time, with United close behind, and Delta and Northwest tied for third. Lots of Canadian VAs made a showing, which makes sense, because Detroit is right in their backyard.

The ATC coverage was just amazing: Detroit staffed 17 positions throughout the ARTCC, with 6 center sectors dividing up the airspace, standard tower and approach services at Cleveland and Pittsburg, and 5 Approach controllers keeping the Detroit tower and ground guys busy. Chicago, Minneapolis and Covington-Cincinnati airports staffed multiple positions in support of the event, along with a lot of other ARTCCs. Canadian ATC was hot, too, as they had a number of departures bound for Detroit.

As far as the traffic goes, there were 172s taking tours up the river, Dach8’s, experimental jets, Learjets, Citations, Falcons, Gulfstreams and a F-15 to round out the small p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger loads. The guys flying the heavy metal were in 737s, 757s, 767s, regional jets, MD88s, as well as A320s and A380s. Sorry if I missed your a/c type, but there were a lot of radar tags to sort through!

Again, we had lots of visitors from other divisions who joined in the event. Argentina, Australia (Melbourne), Brazil, Canada (Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Moncton, Ottowa, Halifax), Chile, Curacao, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, Japan, New Zealand (Auckland, Hamilton), Norway, Pakistan, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Trinidad, UK (London), and Venezuela.

Comments heard throughout the night included “This keeps me sane after a long week of workâ€

Karen Dunbar

Events Director

VATUSA

Diego Pedraglio
Posted
Posted

As far as the traffic goes, there were 172s taking tours up the river,

hehe that was me great ATC on tower, nice way of letting me into the Bravo Airspace and as soon as I get close to the airport I get a vector that keeps me away from the airport LOL didn't get a chance for a picture

Diego Pedraglio

Edward McCoy 904185
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sweet, Im famous. Thats me at 6000 on the downwind on the east side. TRS251

Edited by Guest

Edward J. McCoy

Albuquerque ARTCC DATM

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted

I was CLE_28_CTR, and I had a blast! There were a ton of enroutes flying over KDTW just to see the traffic, lol

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif