You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help! :-)

Adam Johnson 1012871

Adam Johnson 1012871
Posted
Posted

Hi all!

After playing around with FSX demo for a few hours i bought myself a copy of FS2004. Having some good fun with it at the moment but i want to try out the multiplayer aspect of the game.

As you can tell, i've registered on VATSIM but that's about as far as this yellow brick road goes. I'm lost. I've been on the VATPAC site but it's just all too confusing.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction/s? I'm a "Pilot / Observer" and i'd just like to have a fly around with some other people.

Regards,

Adam.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Hi Adam,

you need to go to the Pilot Resource Center, whose front page you should have seen when you first joined. The direct link is www.vatsim.net/prc You cna also get to it from www.vatsim.net by clicking on "New Pilots Start Here"

There are tutorials on what VATSIM is, what software you need, how to get it all set up, basic r/t .. and loads more if you have the time to read it all!

and above all enjoy!

Ruth

VATGOV7

Vice president - Communications, VATSIM

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

Hi Adam,

Welcome to VATSIM.

Aunty Ruth has practically summed up everything, but I understand you are interested in VATPAC?

Excellent decision, as n VATPAC you are provided with some of the most highly trained Air Traffic Controllers on the VATSIM network. If you ever require any [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istnce do not be afraid to ask someone, for your questions we have answers. And lastly come for a fly in my airpsace, it would be great to see ya.

You will need some software, Squarkbox being my favourite. http://www.squarkbox.ca download from there, install and whalla. Well nott really you also need FSUPIC. Its being so long I cant remember where to download it from.

Good luck,

Johno

955672.png

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

I can never bloody spell it right! Thanks Norbert.

955672.png

Norbert Pflug 899571
Posted
Posted
I can never bloody spell it right! Thanks Norbert.

No worries (had to look up the website myself and copy/paste )

Cheers,

Norbert

wf2010banner.jpg

>>>>>> http://www.fly737.com <<<<<<

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

I know theres nothing worse then reading manuals, trust me im a culprit, i fiddle myself and work things out, then ask questions,

Before you get started read through the PRC, give yourself some time dont rush, then once thats done sit on the ground and observe at an airport with ATC. Then File for VFR and get set.

You might want to download serve info, sorry i dont have a link,

Regards

Rodney

• 1 month later...
Richard Sims 1021267
Posted
Posted

Hello all and especially Adam.

I am also new to the whole online flying thing and would also love a hand with some simple exercises re getting online and having a listen to ATC and maybe some basic flying at a quiet but controlled field etc.

I've got my ID sorted out and I am also using Rogerwilco which I think is ok to use on VATSIM. I am always open to suggestions so please feel free to bag me if I step out of line.

Regards.

Richard

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted
Hello all and especially Adam.

I am also new to the whole online flying thing and would also love a hand with some simple exercises re getting online and having a listen to ATC and maybe some basic flying at a quiet but controlled field etc.

I've got my ID sorted out and I am also using Rogerwilco which I think is ok to use on VATSIM. I am always open to suggestions so please feel free to bag me if I step out of line.

Regards.

Richard

Rogerwilco...ahh...the memories...

i suggest you download either squawkbox or fsinn though Richard,

Rogerwilco is part of Vatsim's history if i recall correctly,

so i think it wouldn't work...

besides,inbuilt voice is a lot better,i believe.

cheers

Tom.

p.s welcome to your new addiction,both of you

f1cert.gif

Richard Sims 1021267
Posted
Posted

Hello Tom good to hear from you.

I actually meant to type FSInn but I've been bashing my head on the keyboard so much lately trying to setup everything that I was bound to hit a few wrong keys along the way.

Thanks for the tip though.

Richard.

Matt Chase 974571
Posted
Posted

Gday Richard.

Since you posted in the Australia forum, I'd [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you want to fly here!

On most nights, either ML-SNO_CTR or ML-BIK_CTR will be online, and they generally cover Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra. Canberra would be a great place to practice with ATC, yet still stay out of the way. You can always visit the VATPACwebsite, join the forums and ask for ATC, most times they will help you out.

Matt Chase

VATPAC C1 /O

Richard Sims 1021267
Posted
Posted

Hi Matt.

I'm actually a Brisbane resident and do lots of VFR around Watts Bridge (YWSG) and also Caboolture (YCAB) which are both great GA airports thanks to Vista Australis. Thanks for the tip and if I can actaully get VATSIM to work right with FS2004 I'll check it out. Still learning rather than flying but I've got to start somewhere.

Regards.

Richard

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted
Hi Matt.

I'm actually a Brisbane resident and do lots of VFR around Watts Bridge (YWSG) and also Caboolture (YCAB) which are both great GA airports thanks to Vista Australis. Thanks for the tip and if I can actaully get VATSIM to work right with FS2004 I'll check it out. Still learning rather than flying but I've got to start somewhere.

Regards.

Richard

and...if starting on VATSIM...it's even FUN to learn

have a good one Richard

and if you ever spot me flying,my advice is...

keep at minimum 20nm between you and me,

the more the better,also,

as i'll probably never learn

oh well,at least i try

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Richard Sims 1021267
Posted
Posted

Hi Tom.

If I can get myself sorted out it would be great to fly up your way but I'm still having teething problems and also hardware probs now so I'll let you know when I finally get it all going.

Thanks for the welcome, its much appreciated.

Best wishes.

Richard

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

hardware issues are not very nice,

been there done that,

but sofar it seems to be running here (knock on wood)

if you get the hardware figured out,

it should be fairly simple,

i mean,even I managed it,and that was BEFORE

we had the easy stuff like SB3 and FSinn.

i still remember having to install a lot of programs.

(well...not a lot,but more then one,which for me IS a lot )

also,i suggest you post about your hardware troubles here as well,

there are a lot of folks that know around here,

so maybe that's an idea.

good luck.

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Richard Sims 1021267
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much Tom and apologies to Adam who started this thread. I just got carried away Adam and didnt actually mean to take over and steal your thunder.

Cheers.

Richard