You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Welcome to the screenshots forum - read this before posting

Ruth McTighe 824054

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted (edited)

This forum is for members to post their screen shots for general interest. Competition entries should be posted in the Monthly Screen Shot Contest forum.

You must observe the following rules, mainly out of courtesy to your fellow members:

(they have now been tightened up, as some posters have been ignoring them)

1. Screenshots must be VATSIM related

2. Members will be responsible for hosting their own pictures. For those that don't have server space or the bandwidth, http://www.imageshack.us/ is a viable option.

3. Image size will be limited to 500kb to keep download time reasonable for dial-up. Images above the limit will be removed.

4. For the same reason any one thread should contain no more than 10 pictures. We would like to see your best pictures, not a random collection. Multiple threads posted to avoid this rule will be treated as a single thread.

5. File format should normally be jpg.

6. Video links may be posted, but videos may not be embedded in the post.

Posts not conforming to these rules will be deleted without warning, includinig those already posted at the time the rules were edited on 22nd June 07.

Ruth McTighe

VATGOV7

Vice President - Communications

Edited by Guest

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

Yippeee! At last

Controllers have feelings too...

Tony Evans
Posted
Posted

wow let me start the occasion with my latest greatest

David Reimer 913748
Posted
Posted

TOTALLY AWSOME! This is a awsome new feature. Thanks VATSIM!

signiture.jpg

Robert Cosgrove 936059
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ruth!

Bobby Cosgrove

sigBCosgrove-1year.png

Ben Zwebner 906832
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ruth !

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted

Cheers Ruth!

Michael Smith
Posted
Posted

thank you Ruth

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

YAY!

955672.png

Andre Campbell 970821
Posted
Posted

Yea beyy.

aircanadalogocopy.jpg

www.vacanada.org - proper virtual airline

www.thecubehost.com - proper web hosting

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the positive responses, guys.

However sadly, in the first 5 days of this forum being open, 6 posters out of 25 have failed to follow the posting guidelines. Three of them posted introductions which basically translated "I know what the guidelines say, but I'm going to ignore them". So far we've had five posters put up excessive numbers of pictures, and one has posted a picture that was nothing to do with VATSIM.

My trust in members' commonsense was obviously misplaced, so from now on these are no longer guidelines, but rules and I will enforce them firmly. Any post breaching the rules will be deleted without warning.

Those who have already posted threads with over 10 pictures are asked to reduce them to 10 by 2359z on Sunday 24th June or I will delete them.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Vice president - Communications

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't call posting one or two more than ten, excessive. But whatever floats your boat.

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted (edited)
I wouldn't call posting one or two more than ten, excessive. But whatever floats your boat.

In fairness though some did exceed the guidline amount excessively and I think shes just treating everyone who went over the guidline amount of 10 equally, even though some may have exceeded it way more than others. Though I think maybe the excessive posting of screenshots was down to people not being aware of the rules as opposed to them ignoring them(some did but most didn't), as the thread that the rules were in was a welcome thread and should probably have been entitled something along the lines of 'IMPORTANT - RULES PLEASE READ!', which grabs peoples attention and would probably have made them more aware of the rules.

Edited by Guest

Adam Walker
Posted
Posted

I guess the problem is, if one person posts 15 then the next person thinks, why shouldnt I?

Yes they may be breaking it by 1 or 2, but this can soonlead to 3 or 3 or so on.

Adam Walker

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Ruth,

Here's a suggestion that may be a decent compromise for people that want to post more than 10 shots per thread.

There's a max of 15 posts per page on each thread. Maybe if someone has more than 10 shots, they could put up to 10 shots with 1 shot per post, get a 3 or 4 replies to the photos and once it hits the second page, they are allowed 10 more and then that is the absolute maximum per thread. This way you still get the max 10 shots being loaded per page, it will keep the dial up users satisfied, keep the users that want to post more than 10 shots happy and also stop threads from going too over the top page wise.

So to recap. Maximum per page = 10, Maximum per thread = 20

What do you think?

Cheers!

Paul.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

At the moment I'm going to be rigid on this. As several people commented, whatever number you pick, one person will go over by one or two, then one person goes over by five, then one by 10. Where do we draw the line? If it's ok to go over by two, then I should have set the limit at 12 in the first place. Then someone will try and post 14, and so it goes on.......

I would normally expect people posting in a forum for the first time to read the opening welcome announcement, but I take Seamus's point and will change the title.

I'm not going down the route of allowing more pictures on later pages of a thread. This isn't a photo album - if you want to post lots of photos then use flickr or something like that and post a link.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted

I'd like to give a helpful tip to thread posters. When you post, please name your thread according to the theme of your pics instead of a generic "My Screen Shots" or "Some VATSIM pics" etc.

I'm more likely to look at a thread if I have some idea of what I'm about to see.

And this is not a rule, just a suggestion to help you get more views.

Joe Landers 992630
Posted
Posted

Just a suggestion as i have seen this implemented elsewhere and it works a treat. Impose a file size limit rather than a limit on the number of shots. That way if people wanted to post more they could just reduce the file sizes to fit.

3712.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
Impose a file size limit rather than a limit on the number of shots.

Joe,

Perhaps you missed the initial rules where this was also a requirement.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted
Impose a file size limit rather than a limit on the number of shots.

Joe,

Perhaps you missed the initial rules where this was also a requirement.

I think what he means is the total file size of all the files.

For example setting a 800kb limit for all images. For example if you have 5 images, if you add the file sizes of those images they must add up to a maximum of 800kb.

I may be wrong, but thats what I thought he meant.

I think that suggestion would cause too many problems anyway, I agree that we should set a limit and stick to the limit.

Scott

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

The problem with setting a total file size limit is monitoring it. I really don't fancy having to look at every thread with more than a few pictures and checking each pictures file size and adding them up. I'd rather be flying or controlling!

Ruth

VATGOV7

Ruth McTighe

Now not a VATanything

• 2 weeks later...
Celestyn Chmielewski
Posted
Posted

Brilliant!

Celestyn Chmielewski

Proud to be member of British Airways Virtual!

CelestynChmielewskiSignature4.png

• 2 weeks later...
Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

I think this rule is being bent a little recently

4. For the same reason any one thread should contain no more than 10 pictures. We would like to see your best pictures, not a random collection. Multiple threads posted to avoid this rule will be treated as a single thread.

Some rather long winded posts showing up, of aircraft flying, I say long winded cause the 17 cruise shots are actually really boring

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted
I think this rule is being bent a little recently

Some rather long winded posts showing up, of aircraft flying, I say long winded cause the 17 cruise shots are actually really boring

Well, they may be boring, but they're not bending any rules. "For the same reason any one thread should contain no more than 10 pictures".

• 2 weeks later...
Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
This forum is for members to post their screen shots for general interest. Competition entries should be posted in the Monthly Screen Shot Contest forum.

You must observe the following rules, mainly out of courtesy to your fellow members:

(they have now been tightened up, as some posters have been ignoring them)

1. Screenshots must be VATSIM related

2. Members will be responsible for hosting their own pictures. For those that don't have server space or the bandwidth, http://www.imageshack.us/ is a viable option.

3. Image size will be limited to 500kb to keep download time reasonable for dial-up. Images above the limit will be removed.

5. File format should normally be jpg.

6. Video links may be posted, but videos may not be embedded in the post.

Posts not conforming to these rules will be deleted without warning, includinig those already posted at the time the rules were edited on 22nd June 07.

Ruth McTighe

VATGOV7

Vice President - Communications

Just by way of reinforcing the rules. A number of current threads were in breach of some of the above.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg