You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hat Switch

Wayne Conrad 989233

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

I just started drinking the X-Plane coolaid. Tastes great so far.

I've gotten used to the way my hat switch works in FS9, and would like to emulate that in X-Plane: Pressing the hat switch to any direction gives me a view in that direction (front-right, right, back-right, back, back-left, left, front-left, front). Releasing the hat switch brings me back to forward view. I've got CH Yoke, CH Pedals, and X-Plane 8.6. I am especially fond of being able to release the hat switch to get back to forward view.

Is that a reasonable request, or is there a better, "X-Plane way" of using the hat switch?

And, how can it be done?

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

You can set this up in the "Joysticks" setting under preferences.

Simply deflect the hat the direction you want to "program" and then click the appropriate "action" on the tab. I think it's the "buttons" tab.

I've got mine set so that left moves me left, right moves me right. I can keep pressing "left" and it will move counter clockwise all around.

My up/down is programmed to "pan" up and down the 2d cockpit. There aren't "windows" like you see in MSFS.

I've also got my UP/Right programmed to stick me into the 3d Panel. Then I can pan all around (up/down/left/right) using the hat switch. If I need to raise or lower my "seat" I use CTRL-UP/DOWN arrow and it works great.

Ian.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Ian, Thanks! I'll try that setup and see how it works for me.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

• 2 weeks later...
Reece Hunter
Posted
Posted

Wayne,

It even detects the "diagonal" buttons on my CH Yoke. By this I mean the LEFT and UP buttons are recognized independently but it would also recognize the combination of LEFT AND UP(as well as the other combinations) as an independent setting that you can program separately. I have not found a reasonable use for this since my dexterity is now what it used to be and the yoke seems abit too touchy for me but if you do, it is an added four(4) settings that you can play with.

Have fun!

RH

Reece Hunter

vACC Philippines Chief