You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hi everyone, and an Iron Mic idea :-)

Francis Shepherd 980238

Should Hong Kong vACC go for a TWR Iron Mic on VHHH?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hong Kong vACC go for a TWR Iron Mic on VHHH?

• Yes
    • No

Francis Shepherd 980238
Posted
Posted

Hello guys, I am a visiting Senior Student (S3) controller from the UK division, currently training on VHHH_TWR. I am based in the UK, so I would be able to man the tower if we went for the Iron Mic, from about 1730Z to about 0030Z, which is like the night and early morning hours up to 8:00 in the morning, HK local time, so I figure we could get a very decent uptime there. Anyone up for the Iron Mic? See you in the skies and on the scopes!

generate.php?mid=1235

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

Francis, welcome to the virtual skies and towers of SouthEast Asia.

haha abit of biasness in my vote. As far as I know, Hong Kong has a few controllers who are not based in HK, so they can quite easily push to win the Iron Mic. They used the same strategy I did in bringing the Iron Mic to Singapore. Utilise the controllers in different time zones.

Sadly my parents are in town and will be visiting my for the next week or so, so I won't be able to fly as much as I would like to.

I'm hoping to get a practise flight in at Kai Tak sometime next week, just before the Kai Tak event.

All the best and hope you enjoy HKvACC.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

I've worked the scope in the wee hours of the morning, many times. But sitting there for hours at a time with no traffic, isn't a proper way to win Iron Mic in my opinion. It doesn't mean anything, if you sit there and do other things because you have no traffic in the middle of the night.

However, working tower during an Event, which leads to an Iron Mic, is well deserved.

Whatever floats your boat.

Man Hang Wong 974212
Posted
Posted

Paul: please be reminded that our timezone is exactly the opposite of most users in the VATSIM. So Francis would most probably get traffic during his uptime.

sig.png

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted
Paul: please be reminded that our timezone is exactly the opposite of most users in the VATSIM. So Francis would most probably get traffic during his uptime.

haha I thought this was referring to my post at first. I was gonna say I know the timezone of HK very well as I used to live there.

I also agree with Paul H in a way, I aimed to win the first TWR iron mic for Singapore and was getting on the listings for the following weeks after. Then once I was on APP I started trying to increase the hours for that. After getting bored of sitting staring at a blank scope I began controlling only when I had more than 1 hour free time, this made things more enjoyable, although I've not been controlling as much recently.

From a virtual pilots perspective, I'd prefer ATC that was online regularly than online for about 80hours one week then not around for another 3 weeks or so.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Francis Shepherd 980238
Posted
Posted

I'm not saying I'll do an Iron Mic attempt and then B*gger off for a few weeks, I want to man it regularly, building up traffic levels, as well as going for an Iron Mic, perhaps we can consistently man it and go fro 4 weeks running! then we'll build up traffic levels and more controllers well then man it, like a cycle until we get loads of traffic! I know I am being simplistic, gimme a chance!

generate.php?mid=1235

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

I didn;t mean that you would do a runner Francis.

HK certainly did raise their profile after winning the triple of the Iron Mic and being in the top 10 for the following weeks afterwards.

It would certainly be good to see VHHH manned at UK/European peak times.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Celestyn Chmielewski
Posted
Posted

Voted

Celestyn Chmielewski

Proud to be member of British Airways Virtual!

CelestynChmielewskiSignature4.png

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

lol.. looks like a few biased votes. I think you should go for it Francis, especially with the up and coming Kai Tak event and the Wake Turbulenc event with VATSEA & VATROC. It would definately increase traffic giving some pilots time to get a few practise flights in before the events.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

• 2 weeks later...
Francis Shepherd 980238
Posted
Posted

Right, with the votes tied either way, I am starting my attempt today, with a 6-hour stint from 0200Z to 0800Z. I need others to help so please feel free to log on and help the cause. This morning is going really well, averaging 1 every 30 mins, all B744s! not had an arrival yet. There were two en-route but both disappeared. As I'm posting, an Air Canada A340-500 has just filed, ruining the all-B744 marathon .

generate.php?mid=1235