You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

HOW DO I CONNECT?? PLZ HELP!!

Ashlee Smith 1017427

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

HEY EVERYONE, I AM NEW TO VATSIM, AND I WAS WANDERING IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME HOW TO CONNECT TO TEAMSPEAK SERVER, HOW TO PLAY ONLINE ON VATSIM?? THANKS

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted

www.vatsim.net/prc for details.

Can you please not write in capitals.

Scott

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Ashlee,

Welcome to VATSIM.

You should got to the Main Page on WWW.VATSIM.NET

Down the left of the screen you will see menus.

Hover the mouse over the PILOT RESOURCES option, you will see a further menu.

Click on the PILOT SOFTWARE OPTION, this will open a page listing required software.

If flying - you will need either (but not both) FSinn or Squawk Box. Down load the software you decide on and follow the instruction on the manual (which can be downloaded seperately). Follow the instructions exactly. This is all you actualy need to fly.

Of Course you need flight simulator -joystick-microphone possibly look at getting a headset with boom microphone -this works best.

I advise you download VROUTE and SERVINFO both useful in flight planning and seeing who is on-line.

Also in the PILOT RESOURCES MENU you will see an option PILOT RESOURCE CENTER. This part is very important and you should have a read of this. It outlines the rules and procedures that MUST be used while connected.

Of course - you may wish to train as a controller - in which case you should see an option on the left of the screen which applies to ATC.

I hope this helps - and once again welcome - be prepared to become addicted !

Best regards Graham Mitchell

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

Thx for the help, but can u tell me how to connect online with ts and fs plz like the details, cus for some reason it wont let me connect cus i entered the ip, can u help me?

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted
Thx for the help, but can u tell me how to connect online with ts and fs plz like the details, cus for some reason it wont let me connect cus i entered the ip, can u help me?

You don't need teamspeak to control or fly online - period.

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Ashlee:

We offer a lot here in the VATSIM community when it comes to our members' flight sim and online ATC needs. We don't ask for much in return from our members except that they do a little studying on their own. That's why we have gone to a lot of work and effort to create the Pilot Resource Center (the PRC) to which you have been previously directed. Every question you have (including some you have not even thought of yet) will be answered just by spending a little time studying the materials in the PRC.

Step-by-step details about how to connect to the network (including what software you need) are available in the PRC. It really is time well spent as reading that material will literally save you from hours of frustration trying to figure it out on your own.

http://vatsim.net/prc

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

i have been reading the ilot resource center and has been great used to me, i just wanted to know how you guys play online, as it doesnt say in the prc or i dont get it, but the rest is fine, just the connecting! thx

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Good news Ashlee. For the next step, here is what I would suggest. Log onto the network as an observer and monitor the other pilots and ATC. To do this, use one of the previously mentioned applications (either ServInfo or vRoute) and find an airport which is staffed with ATC (if it's an airport you have an interest in, that is even better). Before you log onto the network, position your airplane at a ramp area (away from terminal buildings and taxiways and runways) so that you don't interfere with any other pilots (if you have read the PRC material, you'll know that this is important). Then log onto the network.

Tune your radio to an active frequency and listen (just like you would with a radio scanner). I would suggest that if there is a tower or ground controller on line, start there (so you can learn how to request a clearance and what information you will receive). You will quickly learn proper procedures and "phraseology" (a fancy word which simply means 'lingo' or terms of art). You can change frequency and follow a pilot from getting clearance to requesting startup, taxiing and departing. You'll also hear arrivals as well. You can even ask ATC questions if you have them as most are happy to help newbies (note: use the private message feature of either SB3 or FSInn to contact ATC and do it when there is a lull in the action, not when he or she is busy). If you still have specific questions, then you can always post them here in the forums. You'll find that almost everyone is willing to help out the new members.

When you feel comfortable and ready for your first flight...then go for it! Don't worry about making mistakes. Just be sure to listen carefully to what ATC tells you and follow their instructions. I would suggest that you try a small airport which isn't busy for your first flight (with VATSIM, starting small is a good thing - definitely don't choose a major fly-in or a very busy airport for your first flight).

I hope this helps.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

thx for the help george, i will try that. thx

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

george how can i connect to a network plz help me!! dont tell me to goto prc cus it doesnt help, can u just tell me step by step thx!

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Ashley,

Have you downloaded the client software SquakBox or FSinn. You will need ONE of these before you can connect.

Graham

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

i got squawkbox all i need is u to tell me how to connect online

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Ashlee,

Start your flight simulator, set up a flight ensuring you aircraft is parked as George outlined. When prompted click on the FLY NOW button.

You should now be in the aircraft flight deck.

If you can not see the menu along the top of the screen press the ALT key.

From the menu, click on MODULES (SquakBOX should be in that menu).

Click on SQUAK BOX

SB3 should now start.

Click On the setup option on the top of the SB3 window - now you need to carry out the task of setting it up.

This involves putting in your vatsim user ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. Aircraft Type etc etc.

Once evrything is set from the same menu click on the connect button. Only now will SB3 connect to the server. Everything must be set correctly otherwise the connection will be refused.

As I said earlier , you realy should follow the SB3 instruction exactly.

The instruction can be found on the link below and are as close to a step by step as possible. Please follow them as there is no point in re-writing the manual. If you still have a problem, please specify the exact nature of the problem.

http://vatsim.net/comms/sb3/sb3_install_flags.htm

I hope you get on-line soon.

Best regards Graham

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

thats wat geqorge said...but it doesnt say modules in the menu, i use fs2004 and i got in my menu file, aircraft and that but not module??? help

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Ashlee,

Have you run the SB3 setup program.

Regards Graham

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

yes its installed if thats wat u mean

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

all i need to know is how to connect to sb3, but i cant find modules?? send me a print screen if u can

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Ashley,

SB3 works fine for FS2004, I don't know why it is not working for you.

When you say you installed it - you unzipped the file then double clicked the SB3setup.exe file you should have seen an instalation progress bar. And SB3 should be in the windows program list (from the start button)

If it installed correctly it should work.

I take it there were no error messages during the installation.

I also take it that it is SB 3.1 you downloaded.

If everything is correct then I can only suggest that you uninstal SB3 and try to instal it again following the instructions .

Perhaps even ensuring that your computer is of-line and switching off your antvirus during the install.

Other than this I have no idea.

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Ashlee,

The instructions I pointed you to show where to find the MODULES option.

Regards Graham

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

u dont understand i cant find modules, and sb3 works just cant connect cus i need to find modules??

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Ashlee,

how do you know SB3 works if you cant find modules - you are not running SB3 before starting your flight sim are you.

Have you followed the instructions manual exactly ???

Graham

Ashlee Smith 1017427
Posted
Posted

no, u see i can see modules in my flightsim folders just not in the game?? its not on the menu with flights, aircraft??

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Yes Aslee - I understand exactly what you are saying.

Modules Folder in flight sim is standard and it is where SB3 should be installed if correctly installed.

Once the SB3set.exe file is run - SB3 registers itself to FS2004 then the modules option will be dispayed on flight sim,

Have a look in this folder - you should see files for FSUIPC and 2 files starting with the letters SB---------

If they are there the the modules option should be available if the files are not there then the installation has not been carried out by running SB3setup.exe or it has been done with errors.

Graham