You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Gary Millsaps appointed as VATUSA8

Richard Ruminski

Richard Ruminski
Posted
Posted

The position of VATUSA8 has been filled by Gary Millsaps. Gary has significant real world controlling experience and will be a great [Mod - Happy Thoughts]et to VATUSA.

Ric Ruminski I1

VATUSA11

Communications Manager VATUSA

email: VATUSA11 (at) vatusa.net

Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

Wow. Great choice!

Congratulations Gary, welcome aboard.

Mark Polston 810032
Posted
Posted

Definitely a good choice! Congrats Gary!

Mark Polston

vZTL ARTCC | VATSIM Supervisor

Andrew Musselman
Posted
Posted

Awesome Gary. You'll be missed by all of us at ZBW.

1000.png

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Congrats Gary.

I have no clue what Vatusa8 is or what they are supposed to do - but I'm sure you will do us all proud.

(Perhaps when we announce new people taking on roles a brief description of the role should follow - just my suggestion)

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Josh Rosard 879188
Posted
Posted

Congrats Gary and welcome to the Central region

Josh Rosard

ZDV

PPL ASEL

Richard Ruminski
Posted
Posted
Congrats Gary.

I have no clue what Vatusa8 is or what they are supposed to do - but I'm sure you will do us all proud.

(Perhaps when we announce new people taking on roles a brief description of the role should follow - just my suggestion)

VATUSA 7 8 9 and 10 are Regional Directors. Their official titles are Air Traffic Directors. You will find that they are more commonly referred to as DAT (Director Air Traffic)

Job description can be viewed here:

http://www.vatusa.org/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=PN_Content&file=index&req=visit&artid=44#[Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant

There is one DAT for each of the 4 VATUSA regions.

VATUSA7 Lee Waldeck oversees the Western region ARTCC of ZLA ZOA ZLC and ZSE . USA7 also serves as the Lead Controller for ZAK

VATUSA8 Gary Millsaps oversees the Central region ARTCC of ZAB ZDV ZKC ZMP and ZAU

VATUSA9 Tom Seeley oversees the Southern region ARTCC of ZHU ZFW ZME ZTL ZJX and ZMA

VATUSA10 Roger Curtiss oversees the Northeastern region ARTCC of ZID ZDC ZOB ZNY and ZBW

If we compare VATUSA to Walmart we would have the ATM as store managers. The DATs would be Regional Managers. VATUSA2 would be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant to the USA Director and VATUSA1 would be the USA Director.

For the rest of the staff, VATUSA3 would be Training Director for all of the US stores. VATUSA14 is the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant to the Training Director.

VATUSA4 would be the conflict or human resources Manager for all the US stores. VATUSA5 Marketing Director. VATUSA6 Computer Systems manager.

VATUSA11 would be the Public Information Officer and all around nice guy.

Ric Ruminski I1

VATUSA11

Communications Manager VATUSA

email: VATUSA11 (at) vatusa.net

Jim Johnson 814050
Posted
Posted

If we compare VATUSA to Walmart

Interesting choice...

Jim Johnson

VP - Membership (VATGOV12)

j.johnson(at)vatsim.net

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Nice job Gary!!!!!

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

Congrats Gary!

Controllers have feelings too...

Chris Smith
Posted
Posted

Way to be Gary!

C

Chris Smith

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at http://www.ndbair.com

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted

If we compare VATUSA to Walmart

Interesting choice...

I guess that makes us the greeters Jim

"Hi welcome to VATSIM, would you like a yellow smily sticker?"

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ric!

Ian Elchitz

Michael Oberg 855611
Posted
Posted

Good luck Gary, hopefully you will do better than I did. I didn't have the time that I needed to do the position. I had a real world job that took to much of my time.

Michael Oberg

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

The regional director jobs require the ability to communicate vatusa's direction to the ATM's and in turn listen to what direction the ATM's are hoping to move their facilities in and communicating that effectively to the Vatusa staff.

It requires the ability to compromise and visualize things from many perspectives. In essence you need to be ready to go to bat for your ATM's because they should be counting on you to relay their wishes back to VATUSA.

It also requires some excellent skill in dealing with the Vatusa staff, whom you might not always agree with, which includes "towing the line" when required.

Having interacted with Gary a bunch recently, I'm sure he will do a fantastic job.

Congrats.

Ian Elchitz