You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FNO Event Replacement

Aggrey Ellis 964561

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

How about we all fly into one area on Friday Night and fly out Saturday morning to another airport for those who miss the friday event.Another idea would be to fly in and fly overnight to a foreign destination offline.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

To be honest as a non-US based pilot I quite like the FNO system. As a Friday it's about the one night a week I can try and stay up late to enjoy US ATC and the FNO system allows me to enjoy different areas freqequently

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

I like it too but VATUSA feels the need for a new event.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

VATUSA- You're taking too long!!! Announce the new event! lol

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

patience.......it'll be worth the wait, we promise!

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

Why do we need a new event? A fly in is a fly in.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Ahh yes, but a fly-in is only a realistic fly-in when you can get ATC in your departure airport, en-route ARTCCs, and arrival airports

Max Tribolet 897448
Posted
Posted
Ahh yes, but a fly-in is only a realistic fly-in when you can get ATC in your departure airport, en-route ARTCCs, and arrival airports

I think that is why VATUSA promotes the use of a sponsered departure airport.

Max Tribolet

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

I have flown over the last couple of years many TGIF and a few FNO and have always enjoyed them for the high quality ATC and

realism. As a UK based pilot, Friday nights/early Sat mornings give me the best opportunity to take part. I look forward to

whatever events VATUSA sets up for Friday evenings in the future and thank all those involved for making possible such thrilling

and absorbing events.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Mark McCoy 823112
Posted
Posted

Too bad FNO bit it.. lets get something going VATUSA, before us individuals get into doing it ourselves.

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

lets be patient. The event is alreay planned and should be announced VERY shortly. Again, it'll be worth the wait.

JM

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted
Why do we need a new event? A fly in is a fly in.

Bingo...

Kyle Gibson 937127
Posted
Posted

It's in the works in the staff forums. Just be patient. There should be an event every Friday. Based on what Karen has done for me, I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you that everything's going to be ok.

Timothy Salamon 995912
Posted
Posted

It's sad that people always feel the need to change things. I don't know anyone who was unhappy with FNO events. Gee... a chance to fly into an ARTCC staffed to the rafters with controllers wanting to have fun coordinating with their colleagues, providing outstanding service to pilots who rarely experience ATC from Center to Ground most days of the week... lets oust that idea. Well, maybe this will spur ARTCCs to have more locally-sponsored events, at least in ARTCCs that care enough to provide realistic, quality service.

Timmeh! (ST)

ZLA S3

N316BT, PAY7423, SWA6309, UPS431

61.png

Kyle Gibson 937127
Posted
Posted

I like the idea of having ORIGINAL events 3 out of the 4 weeks. Instead of always having those cool events on Saturday during Saturday Scramble, we can have them on Friday too. I did love FNO, but I think we should give this a try and be optimistic. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure that something will be done.

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Does it really make sense to "fix it" if it's not even broken? As far as I could tell, FNO was growing each week, and I think New York will be a testament to that tonight. The only difference I could imagine that a new Friday-night event would have is a name, which in the short term will most likely hurt the participation as people aren't familiar with it.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

What if the 'new' took what is good about FNO and made it better? Would you feel differently then, Nick?

I'm going to wait to see what VATUSA staff has before judging its relative chances of success.

Kyle Ramsey

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Just to let you guys know.....Karen and Dennis live in the Grand Caymans and they probably got hit by the hurricane. It could be very possible that they do not have electricity to read this post, or to get any of the new event stuff done. Patience, and trust, I know for a fact it has to be announced very, VERY (notive how I say very) soon.

JM

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

We have heard from Dennis and Karen, they are safe and probably are participating in the clean up of their community (a 10 foot storm surge would bury those islands). We are thrilled to see them make it through that safe. Our prayers are with those who did not.

Kyle Ramsey

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Amen

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Okay, glad you guys are safe!

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted
What if the 'new' took what is good about FNO and made it better? Would you feel differently then, Nick?

FNO is more like a brand, the premise is the same as most events...a "fly in" to a select one or two airport with prior coordination with the ARTCC's affected.

I'm going to wait to see what VATUSA staff has before judging its relative chances of success.

Too late, I've already judged it.

But I'll bite and wait till Karen announces it publicly. I hope you're right Kyle, as I would hate to see the potential FNO still poses be lost. Best of luck to both Karen and Dennis in Grand Cayman.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

You will like the new event idea once it is released. I will say this - while FNO will not exist in its current form, the new event provides for a much better way to have the ARTCC host the exact same "FNO" style event that everyone seems to enjoy. The new event, however, will build upon the premise of FNO to make it much more realistic and more fun for pilots and controllers. You won't be disappointed.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

The new event was announced yesterday, but I am sure you will see a NOTAM in the near future!

JM

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Guys, check your ARTCC forums .

It's not disappointing at all.