You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

where does the traffic go?

Keith Smith

Charles Rizzi 810637
Posted
Posted
I've learned over the years that there are significant variations in the level of reality VATSIM members strive to achieve,

Yes of course and that's why we continue to have these discussions and everyone is constantly adjusting. I probably should have said "more realistic" rather than "as real as it gets". Maybe it's coincidence but I think the general levels of realism have increased greatly over the years and that seems to have not hurt to bring in more connections. Maybe we'll get another bump up on the chart with SB4?

This gets discussed over and over but it's always an important issue for the community to ponder and comment on.

Charles Rizzi

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernie Alston 812154

• Brad Littlejohn

• Ross Carlson

• Anthony Atkielski 985811

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernie Alston 812154

Ernie Alston 812154 8 posts

• Brad Littlejohn

Brad Littlejohn 5 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 4 posts

• Anthony Atkielski 985811

Anthony Atkielski 985811 4 posts

Popular Days

• Aug 30 2007

16 posts

• Aug 29 2007

14 posts

• Sep 6 2007

9 posts

• Sep 5 2007

4 posts

Robert Fersch
Posted
Posted

Ernie said:

I think what is needed is some sort of a 'metering' system.

A system where we set minimum goals for arrivals and staffing for the ARTCC's. Then compare them

with the actual traffic and staffing every day.

The goal would be for the pilots to see who is behind their goals traffic wise and make more flights

to those locations to meet that goal. And the controllers to look how their ARTCC's is doing to meet

their staffing goals and if they are short be online more to meet their goals.

I like this idea for the following reasons:

1. It would be easy to implement, I think

2. It would provide incentives for both pilots and controllers

3. It would tap into the great community spirit of VATSIM

Peolple are, by and large, goal oriented. With Ernie's idea, all of us would share the goals and work together to achieve them while doing what we love to do, fly and control!

Sounds good to me.

Best Regards,

Bob

iflycapBOB.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I am a RW private pilot who has recently discovered Vatsim, and am in the process of getting my system and resources ready to go fly on the network.

Hi there, Karl, and Welcome! I'm sure you'll have a great time here. I just have a quick thought about one of your comments.

It seems to me that much of vatsim caters to the big iron or airline types. However, I believe the same network is well suited for GA, and perhaps encouragement of participation by GA types would inprove the number of pilots in a given controler's sector.

I won't say that VATSIM caters to any type of airline or airplane, because that isn't what this network is about. I think what you as well as the rest of us are seeing here is that the commercial carriers and large/heavy airplanes have the most notoriety. They are the ones that are seen everywhere. They are the ones who little kids see at an airport and daydream of flying. So when those are so heavily emphasized in the real world, here people want to fly those planes that they have sit on as p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers. So it isn't really that we cater to them the most; it is just that they and their routes are the most known and most imitated.

I don't think there is a single place on this network that would not welcome any type of GA traffic. Well.. except maybe McMurdo base in Antarctica.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Stephen Morgan 940545
Posted
Posted

I know that for myself, where ATC is active doesn't make much difference in where I fly. As I fly mainly FSE [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments with quite varied destinations, I am all over the place. It all depends on who has the right load for the right amount of money, is there a plane there that can carry it and that I have in my FS hangar, and where the final destination of the load is. I think VATSIM might see more and more GA using this type of virtual 'job' to determine where they fly. Many are encouraging their pilots to fly on the network, and our VA recently added a VATSIM link in order to gain Partner status. Most of the airports are 'lesser knowns'. I have yet to fly in or out of a popular major airport flying an FSE [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment. However, once, I get my other VA training out of the way (can't just have one, you know), I will be flying the big iron in and out of the big airports. That'll give me the best of both worlds, eh? I think flying [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments for organisations just adds to the 'real' factor of the sim, and makes it a lot more enjoyable for myself.