You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Failed to open sectorfile extension"

Mattias Lagergren 811971

Mattias Lagergren 811971
Posted
Posted

Get this in the Euroscope messages dialog:

"Failed to open sectorfile extension"

Running Vista and used the so called "Local [Mod - Happy Thoughts]embly installer"

Tried different sectorfiles with the same result.

Bruce Dudley
Posted
Posted

I got the same error as well, although, the sector did load. XP SP2 used EuroScope only installer. Other than that, all seems fine.

0.png

Alberto Molteni 915217
Posted
Posted

This is simply because you are loading my_sector_name.sct when no my_sector_name.ese exists (see the line above the error message). It is perfectly normal for ES to do this.

If you would like to know more about the ESE file, please read the docs.

Alberto Molteni

Earl Miller
Posted
Posted
This is simply because you are loading my_sector_name.sct when no my_sector_name.ese exists (see the line above the error message). It is perfectly normal for ES to do this.

If you would like to know more about the ESE file, please read the docs.

I seen that. Now a big question, Do we have to build our own .ESE files? Is there a way to generate this file?

I looked at the .ESE file that came with it and I surely couldn't do that one my self. Most I figured out how ever

when I loaded my .SCT file there were only about 10 airports and no VORs from my .SCT file. Had VORs from

someplace I've never seen but none from the sector I contrl. If we have to build an .ESE file to get all this the

program is worthless to us none designers. Looks good however.

Earl SLC ARTCC

Earl Miller

ZLC_ARTCC / MTN073

Euroscope Development Team.

Dare to fly the Rocky Mountains.

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

You should check with your ARTCC/VACC if they have developed such a file. We have, for example, developed such a file for our members, so they don't need to do it them self.

Earl Miller
Posted
Posted

I think it a little early over here for this one, But will check.

Thanks,

Earl

Earl Miller

ZLC_ARTCC / MTN073

Peter Selmeci 811548
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Everybody,

If you have a .POF file (from ARSC) renaming it in a way as Alberto showed may serve as your initial (!!!) .ESE file. Only thing you have to do is write a [POSITIONS] to the beginning of the file. To learn more about how to get on with the .ESE file, read more here: http://www.euroscope.hu/wiki/index.php?page=ESE_Files_Description . This initial .ESE file will not work as a fully function one, but at least the error message will disappear and your neighboring controllers will be named as usual.

Am I right?

Peter

Edited by Guest

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

In the previous WEB site we had a quick guide how to use your original SCT and POF files without the hard work of a complete ESE file creation needs. But seems it is missing from the current version. Therefore I extended now the WIKI Quick Start (http://euroscope.hu/wiki/index.php?page=Quick_Start) page with it. Look for the "How To Use Existing Sector And Position Files" section.

Gergely

EuroScope developer

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Lluis del Cerro 810821
Posted
Posted

Good evening,

I am sorry but I have been unable to solve this problem after reading the manual, the htm file for *.asr and *.ese files, etc. I have done all those modifications to my sector file and created a new *.ese file without any success.

Unfortunately, I can neither have my profiles saved after each session and impossible to configure the colours as I have them in VRC.

Will continue reading and hope to find any solution by tomorrow.

In any case, thanks Gergely for your effort.

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro

Lluís del Cerro

Senior Instructor

http://www.catalonian-airlines.cat

vatsim_5000h.png

Peter Selmeci 811548
Posted
Posted

Lluis,

As I remember you also have to call a "Save all settings" from the Other SET menu.

Best regards,

Peter

Lluis del Cerro 810821
Posted
Posted

Hi Peter,

Yes, all this was also done. I am saving "all" after each change to make sure I do not forget anything.

Thanks anyway.

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro

Senior Instructor

http://www.catalonian-airlines.cat

vatsim_5000h.png

Earl Miller
Posted
Posted

I tried renameing the POF file to ESE. All I got was no errors.

Also I loaded the Hungary sct and ese to see how it worked. and now everything I open only shows the Hungary VORs.

I can't see any Local VORs

I can't find anything on "How to Build Your Own" ESE File just to make a few changes.

I also get an error that says VAtsim DATA older than 20 minutes. What to do?

Thanks Earl

Earl Miller

ZLC_ARTCC / MTN073

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Earl,

Just renaming the POF to ESE is not enough. Please read the http://euroscope.hu/wiki/index.php?page=Quick_Start what you should do with it.

I think that after loading the Hungary sectorfile you also created a new ASR file that describes what to display from the sectrofile. You saved it and after loading your own sectorfile still this ASR is active. And it drives EuroScope to display the VORs etc. that were visible when Hungarian sectorfile was opened. This is why you see only the items in Hungary even after opening another sectorfile. I suggest you to create a new ASR file after loading the sectorfile. It is available via the Sector/New menu.

There is no "How to Build Your Own ESE" file. It is not intended individuals to create such files. It is supposed that each FIR should build them centrally and distribute to the controllers.

The "VATSIM data is older than 20 minutes" indicates that VATSIM who is online statisical WEB site shows only too late information. EuroScope will not use these data to show the planes outside of your range. But it does not effect the controlling possibilities.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Earl Miller
Posted
Posted

Thanks,

Earl

Earl Miller

ZLC_ARTCC / MTN073