You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How about a .ESE file for us in America

Earl Miller

Earl Miller
Posted
Posted

I'm a dummy. We need someone to build an .ESE file for North America. Anyone volunteering for the job?

Us over here on the other side of the pond can't use this New Shinny Program until then.

Earl

Earl Miller

ZLC_ARTCC / MTN073

Euroscope Development Team.

Dare to fly the Rocky Mountains.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Earl,

That is true. And to build an ESE file is not an easy task at all. It is not expected that individuals can do it for themselves (same as sector files). We suggest that the appropriate staff members who are maintaining the sector files should build the extension files. We are ready to support them building the ESE files via the [email protected] email.

Gergely

EuroScope developer

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Earl Miller
Posted
Posted

Thanks

Earl

Earl Miller

ZLC_ARTCC / MTN073

Euroscope Development Team.

Dare to fly the Rocky Mountains.

Sami Ylismaki 878340
Posted
Posted
Earl,

That is true. And to build an ESE file is not an easy task at all. It is not expected that individuals can do it for themselves (same as sector files). We suggest that the appropriate staff members who are maintaining the sector files should build the extension files. We are ready to support them building the ESE files via the [email protected] email.

Gergely

EuroScope developer

It would be very helpful if there would be a procedural guide explaining how to make the most difficult part of the .ese for a small example sector file. The guide as it is doesn't cut the logic as well.

Otherwise the features seems very interesting.

Peter Selmeci 811548
Posted
Posted

Hello guys,

Just a hint for the ones, who decided to build the ESE file. I don't remember if it has been written in the docomeentation or not, but you can get the coordinates from the radar itself by selecting it with the mouse.

[F1] + d or .distance and click on the screen. The coordinates will be in the scratchpad and you will be able to copy&paste it to the file.

But usually most of the coordinates you need are in the .SCT file.

Peter

Ps: Sami, let's see what Gergely has to add to your request. A simple guide is not a bad idea.

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

This is an idle question as at the moment I've no complaints with VRC, but I'm curious.

In ZOA, like many major US metropolitan areas, we have a very complex approach airspace that is really 8 sectors that all go under the radio name 'Norcal Approach'. Depending on the controllers logged in, the sectors may be split & combined nearly any arbitrary way between whomever's working. For example, at our recent Light the Night event, we started with three Norcal controllers each working multiple sectors, then eventually as folks had to go and traffic quieted down, we condensed into two, then one. Further complicating the matter, depending on which flow we are in at SFO, the sector lines are drawn differently and one completely new sector is added that disappears when we go back to west flow!

And, the last point of complication - there is no guide or hierarchy to how controllers log on to these positions. For example, if I am covering MRY, SJC, and MOD sectors, I could be logged in as MOD_APP, MRY_APP, or SJC_APP pretty much at my own discretion. So there is really very little correlation between logged in names and what sectors are being worked.

If EuroScope can support this almost hopelessly complex airspace arrangement I'd be interested in learning more about it. Until then, I'm afraid any attempt to use its sophistication & automation in terms of online-sector display and so on will cause more trouble than it solves - at least for our airspace.

Tim Krajcar

Peter Selmeci 811548
Posted
Posted

Hello Tim,

There is a sector ownership setup and there, one-by-one you can select MANUALLY the changes to the original sector config, it would be possible to do what you were asking.

Peter

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Sami,

I agree with you. I will create a new chapter in the WIKI docomeentation very soon where I describe how Budapest Approach sectors were defined and described in the ESE file.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Sami Ylismaki 878340
Posted
Posted
Sami,

I agree with you. I will create a new chapter in the WIKI docomeentation very soon where I describe how Budapest Approach sectors were defined and described in the ESE file.

That would be excellent! thanks

Sami Ylismaki 878340
Posted
Posted

I made a small and very crude utility with PHP to help visualise the sectorline coordinates. It will display all pasted sectorline coordinates on the google map. It's possible to copy & paste a single block and multiple sectorline blocks as long as the pasted sectorline blocks are preceded by "SECTORLINE:" and each coordinate by "COORD:". Pretty much straight forward copy & pasting from an .ese file.

I made this for my own use but figured some others might like to see the sectorlines on a map.

An example of the proper format to be copy pasted into the utility:

SECTORLINE:RWY1_2

DISPLAY:TERM1:TERM1:RWY1

COORD:N047.25.46.561:E019.15.2.971

COORD:N047.25.49.211:E019.15.6.575

SECTORLINE:RWY1_3

DISPLAY:RWY1:RWY1:TERM2

DISPLAY:TERM2:RWY1:TERM2

COORD:N047.25.49.211:E019.15.6.575

COORD:N047.26.58.111:E019.13.14.847

It's possible to paste any number of such blocks and each will be drawn on the map. Beware that the coordinates are not located on the map exactly in the same location as in Euroscope.

The utility:

http://fishu.kapsi.fi/draw_ese.php

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Sami,

Thanks for this tool. It is looking very good.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer