You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sector Ownership - Further Explanation Needed

James O Grady 904153

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I've been trying to get my head around the sector ownership feature of Euroscope, the wiki guide doesn't make it very clear what each line means or explain what the format has to be. I've tried doing it based on the Hungarian ESE file but I keep getting errors when I load Euroscope, would it be possible for a more in-depth explanation to be given about this?

Cheers,

Séamus

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Seamus,

The ESE file is really a complex structure but inside the sector ownership is very simple. The example below is taken from the included Hungarian ESE:

SECTOR:APPE:1000:19500

OWNER:AP:BU:BE

This is the beginning of the Budapest Approach East sector. Every sector definition should have exactly one line that describes who will control the sector. The ownership is just precedence list of positions. So for that line you should have three entries in the POSITION section:

Budapest Approach:-:129.700:AP:A:LHBP:APP:LHBP:APP:2601:2677

Budapest Control:Budapest Radar:133.200:BU:C:LHCC:CTR:LHCC:CTR:2601:2677

Budapest Control East:Budapest Radar:130.570:BE:E:LHCC:CTR:LHCC:CTR:2601:2677

The first position has the highest priority and the latter has less. In this example it means that if Budapest Approach is online then APPE sector belongs to him. It does not matter if Budapest Radar or Budapest Radar East is online or not. If Approach is offline but Budapest Radar is online then he will control the sector. If both of them offline but Budapest Radar East is online then he will own the sector. No other controller can own this sector as default.

This is the vasic configuration that we think will work for most of the cases. If you need something special then you can open the Sector Ownership Setup dialog and there you can specify each sector owner one by one for your session. If you do so the OWNER line is simply ignored and the sector will have the selected owner. It does not matter if he is online or not.

Is there any other point we should describe more?

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Kai Bock 955925
Posted
Posted

SECTORLINE:1,87

DISPLAY:KAWI:KAWI:PALF

DISPLAY:KAWI:KAWI:ADLO

DISPLAY:ADLO:ADLO:PALF

DISPLAY:ADLO:ADLO:HMLD

COORD:N051.07.56.000:E007.49.45.000

COORD:N050.54.47.000:E008.04.08.000

Behind SECTORLINE is the name of this line. You can freely choose this name.

After DISPLAY you find the definition when this line is highlighted.

The first DISPLAY means that this line is red when you are controlling KAWI sector (you define the KAWI Sector later) and also KAWI and PALF is online.

The COORD is one geogrphical point. You have to have at least two point to create a line but it can have maybe hundreds of points.

SECTOR:KAWI:1500:14500

OWNER:KAW:ADL

BORDER:1,87:87,88,89,90,91,92,93:93,94,4:3,4:1,2,3

Here is the KAWI Sector defines.

SECTOR is the name of the sector (KAWI) and the numbers behind are the vertical borders of this airspace. In this case the airspace is from 1500 ft until Flightlevel 145.

The owner section is the description to whom this sector belongs and is highlighted if you are the specific controller.

In this case this sector belongs to ADL and KAW (KAW and ADL have to be specified in the [POSITIONS] sector inside the ese file. It´s the same as in the pof file. We in EDLL FIR define all controllers with 3 letters instead of 2 letters.

And now the BORDER Section. We have here different lines (each defined in the SECTORLINE section above) who create the sector ADLO who is controlled by controller ADL (as in the pof file). Th lines here used are 1,87 and 87,88,89,90,91,92,93 and 93,94,4 3,4 1,2,3

I used numbers separated by commas for each SECTORLINE.

Hope that helped?

I´m sorry that I can´t say anything to the Coordination points. This comes later )

Best regards

Kai

EDLL FIR Mentor

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Greetings Kai,

where can I find your .ese file to study your explanation?

Regards, Opher Ben Peretz

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Kai Bock 955925
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I can send it to you later this day when I´m home. That must be around 2000 UTC. You´ll need the sectorfile from EDLL too. Both are around 600kb zipped. Just need your email-adress.

Best regards

Kai

EDLL FIR Mentor

Martin Bergin 931070
Posted
Posted
Seamus,

Just a quick question where is the sector APPE defined?

I have looked through the docomeentation and still dont quite get it.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Martin,

You have nearly copied the whole sector definition. The following three lines completely defines the sector:

BORDER:APP_SEP:APPE

The SECTOR defines the name and the vertical extent.

The OWNER is described in this thread deeply.

The BORDER defines the horizontal extent. It means that using the coordinates of SECTORLINE APP_SEL and APPE a polygon is defined. That polygon defines the area of the sector.

And that is all. The sector has to have a vertical and a horizontal extent, plus the ownership rules.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Lluis del Cerro 810821
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am also working on the *.ese file for Barcelona FIR and at this point I have a couple of questions that I do not know how to solve after reading the manual:

1. I am simply trying to build the SECTORLINE between LECB and DAAA FIRs to display the border and this should be quite straigh forward. These two airspaces do not share responsibilities and it is just for separating the areas. Reading the manual, I believe that it is not necessary to build a SECTOR subsection. Am I right

2. In your example:

BORDER:APP_SEP:APPE

the SECTOR name has any limit regarding number of characters?

Thanks,

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro

Senior Instructor

http://www.catalonian-airlines.cat

vatsim_5000h.png

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted
SECTORLINE:1,87

DISPLAY:KAWI:KAWI:PALF

DISPLAY:KAWI:KAWI:ADLO

DISPLAY:ADLO:ADLO:PALF

DISPLAY:ADLO:ADLO:HMLD

COORD:N051.07.56.000:E007.49.45.000

COORD:N050.54.47.000:E008.04.08.000

Behind SECTORLINE is the name of this line. You can freely choose this name.

After DISPLAY you find the definition when this line is highlighted.

The first DISPLAY means that this line is red when you are controlling KAWI sector (you define the KAWI Sector later) and also KAWI and PALF is online.

The COORD is one geogrphical point. You have to have at least two point to create a line but it can have maybe hundreds of points.

SECTOR:KAWI:1500:14500

OWNER:KAW:ADL

BORDER:1,87:87,88,89,90,91,92,93:93,94,4:3,4:1,2,3

Here is the KAWI Sector defines.

SECTOR is the name of the sector (KAWI) and the numbers behind are the vertical borders of this airspace. In this case the airspace is from 1500 ft until Flightlevel 145.

The owner section is the description to whom this sector belongs and is highlighted if you are the specific controller.

In this case this sector belongs to ADL and KAW (KAW and ADL have to be specified in the [POSITIONS] sector inside the ese file. It´s the same as in the pof file. We in EDLL FIR define all controllers with 3 letters instead of 2 letters.

And now the BORDER Section. We have here different lines (each defined in the SECTORLINE section above) who create the sector ADLO who is controlled by controller ADL (as in the pof file). Th lines here used are 1,87 and 87,88,89,90,91,92,93 and 93,94,4 3,4 1,2,3

I used numbers separated by commas for each SECTORLINE.

Hope that helped?

I´m sorry that I can´t say anything to the Coordination points. This comes later )

Best regards

Kai

Thanks guys for your explanations but I'm still struggling with this, what I'd appreciate is an explanation of the format used if yeah get what I mean, basically in the Sector ownership of the example given above, i.e. KAWI, why do you use semi-colons in the Border part? And also in the above example given you use 2 sectors under 1 sectorline section, can you explain why that is? Also can you confirm if for the COORD, you just put the border coordinates of a particular sector? If so, why do some of the sectors in the Hungarian ESE file only have 2 sets of coordinates which would form 1 line?

Sami Ylismaki 878340
Posted
Posted

efinese.png

This is a simple (not a strict) model I drew to visualize my task better and figure out before hand how many different sectorlines I'll need to complete each sector. I have highlighted each sectorline with different colours and tagged them with the owners. As you can see, for example, sector EFPS 6 is formed of 6 different sectorlines, which when joined forms a solid box.

Simply put the border reads like this (the ";" aka semicolons are tags to comment out whatever is typed after, ignored by the program for remarks):

SECTOR:EFPS_6 ;Name of the sector that appears also in the sector ownership menu

OWNER:PS ;Defined as ID in the POF section for EFPS

BORDER:EFPS6_EFPS3:EFPS6_EFPS4:EFPS6_EFPS5:EFPS6_ULPB:EFPS6_EFPS7:EFPS6_ESOS ;An enclosed sector with ends joined by multiple sectorlines

Each sectorline (SECTORLINE:) can be reused in forming of other sectors (SECTOR:). Each sectorline can be configured with different set of conditions (DISPLAY:) to highlight the borderline between their respective sectors (SECTOR:).

Let's define the highlights for border between EFPS6 and 7:

SECTORLINE:EFPS6_EFPS7

DISPLAY:EFPS6:EFPS6:EFPS7

DISPLAY:EFPS7:EFPS7:EFPS6

COORD:Nxxx:Eyyy

(No! I don't have the coords at hand right now! I'm not even copy pasting it! It's a single line separating the two sectors, mm'kay)

Right, now we have the displays set for the sectorline. In english the two lines of DISPLAY: means that the border between EFPS6 and 7 are to be highlighted when you are controlling either EFPS6 or 7 and the other sector is also active. Either the other EFPS is online or the ownership is set to someone else than you. On the other hand, if you decide to control both of the sectors by setting the ownership automatically or manually to include both of the sectors, then the border will not be highlighted between 6 and 7.

The sectorline is used by two different sector boxes and therefore the display highlights are set two-way. If there would be no need to see highlighted border from the other side then the other display set will be removed. In some other areas there can be many or no DISPLAY: lines at all.

Each SECTORLINE can be as long or short as needed, of course two coords at the minimum. You could also make an enclosed SECTORLINE, which would be the only SECTORLINE defining a BORDER of a SECTOR.

This is pretty much what it is looking like afterwards, with complete set of the EFES/EFPS sectors and some additions like mockup sectors of neightboring FIRs (it's difficult to define a highlighted border if your neightbour doesn't have a SECTOR defined, which can't be done if it isn't enclosed - therefore the little extensions in the backs)

Visualization of a work in progress

Pay attention to the different colours of the lines - each sectorline has a different colour (at least should have, it's a random colour).

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Lluís,

1. I am simply trying to build the SECTORLINE between LECB and DAAA FIRs to display the border and this should be quite straigh forward. These two airspaces do not share responsibilities and it is just for separating the areas. Reading the manual, I believe that it is not necessary to build a SECTOR subsection. Am I right

the SECTOR name has any limit regarding number of characters?

I am not sure if I understood right why you would not build the sectors from sectorlines. It has no real meaning to define sectorlines without using them. If there are no sectors the sectorlines will not be displayed anywhere. Just for visualization you have to prepare the original SCT file.

There is no real limit for the sector or sectorline name (actually I can not read lines longer than 1024 chars but that is not a real limit I think).

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 7 months later...
Philip Smith 997355
Posted
Posted

Hello Lluis, in order to define the rule for showing the line between Algier and Barcelona, you need to define the Algier sector, for further use in DISPLAY, but if this boundary do not share responsability, there is no need to define the sector area, just the sector.

SECTOR:DAAA:0:60000

OWNER:0A