You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

2008 VATUSA Convention

Earvie Rollins 971247

Earvie Rollins 971247
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I was wondering when are you guys going to post the Info about the 2008 VATUSA convention on the site?

Edited by Guest
2572.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joe Caban 844086

• Mark Polston 810032

• Keith Smith

• Justin A. Martin

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joe Caban 844086

Joe Caban 844086 4 posts

• Mark Polston 810032

Mark Polston 810032 3 posts

• Keith Smith

Keith Smith 3 posts

• Justin A. Martin

Justin A. Martin 3 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 29 2007

13 posts

• Jan 17 2008

5 posts

• Sep 20 2007

5 posts

• Jan 15 2008

4 posts

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

20078 convention? Not sure any of us will know any information about that one... I'll be dead by then for sure.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Ahh yes, the eagerly anticipated 20078 convention. I believe support for follow-me cars is slated for release during that one!

I can almost guarantee that there isn't much information regarding the 2008 convention yet. I would think it's too far in advance for much to be set in concrete.

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

All we know is that its supposed to be in Atlanta

VATSIM Supervisor

Mark Polston 810032
Posted
Posted

Only thing I've heard is the city like Ryan said. I'm sure in the coming fall/winter the planning will get underway. I'll be looking forward to it (and might try to help being that I live here in Atlanta).

Mark Polston

vZTL ARTCC | VATSIM Supervisor

Thomas Flanary 835147
Posted
Posted
20078 convention? Not sure any of us will know any information about that one... I'll be dead by then for sure.

Airbus will surely be bankrupt by then too! (If the government ever quits subsidizing it!)

"TF", ZMA

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

Airbus will surely be bankrupt by then too! (If the government ever quits subsidizing it!)

Kudos!

Controllers have feelings too...

• 1 month later...
Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Any news on this? Do we have a date?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Bruno Pinto 964946
Posted
Posted

I will make sure my great great great grand children participate on that one!

Had to be you Earvie!!!! hahaahah

Bruno Pinto

VATME - OOMM - C3

atc1o.png

bannervf7kp9.jpg

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

hahahaha ......come on guys can we get to the point?

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted
hahahaha ......come on guys can we get to the point?

Uh, this is the US forum, soooooo, no.

Richard Ruminski
Posted
Posted

We have had some limited discussion concerning next years convention. No date has been set. If you would like me to expand on some of the pitfalls that occur in planning these conventions I would be more that happy to elaborate. I'm sure that Tom Ferry would be more that happy to share his experiences from last year as one of the Planners.

Ric Ruminski I1

VATUSA11

Communications Manager VATUSA

email: VATUSA11 (at) vatusa.net

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Indeed, planning these conventions cannot be much fun. I almost wonder if it's worth just calling it a day with VATUSA conventions, and simply encourage ARTCC's to encourage their own gatherings from time to time.

I attended a Boston event last year which had spectacular attendance. ZLA has had its dinners for a while now, which usually draw a good crowd, and I know that many facilities have all had controlling events where they all get together.

Does anyone feel very strongly that a VATUSA convention is a necessity? I made the trip from NJ to LAS for the last one, and while it certainly was a lot of fun, the attendance levels were sketchy, and not as a result of poor planning. Conventions are not cheap, and getting ppl to part with cash is not easy in this hobby.

Keith

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Keith,

I agree, bringing the conventions down to the divisional level has always seemed to dilute to effectivness of these conventions. I say forget these conventions and go back to a global VATSIM convention. Ok, you might be only able to make it once every 4-5 years (since it used to rotate between regions), but they seemed to draw a much bigger crowd and things seemed to get done.

Cheers!

Paul.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

I think that while local dinners and other similar events are great ideas and great ways for folks who work/control/fly together to meet each other, there's still a need for larger gatherings where people are more likely to meet people from far away. That's why I've been so interested in this convention; there are a good number of people I know around Atlanta who could come, but more importantly it would be a great way to meet a lot of you from outside the local area.

Whether such an event is done on a national, divisional or VATSIM-wide basis doesn't really matter to me. Clearly I value my marriage enough that I'm not going to fly half way around the world for a flight sim convention, but once every few years making the trek somewhere in North America would be a good idea.

It would be nice to have a date and location set 6 to 9 months in advance, and a rough estimate of the cost for accommodations and dinner. I think LAS was pretty good in providing this information IIRC - maybe someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. I also wouldn't mind putting down a $100-$150 "Here's some money to let you know I'm serious about coming" deposit if that would make a difference.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Luke,

That sounds reasonable, but the terms of the LAS gathering were specified months in advance, and the people ultimately didn't come. Part of it may have been the lack of a compelling event schedule, but I'm not sure that would have completely solved the problem.

Has there been any evidence that serious volumes of people are willing to get on a plane and fly to a VATUSA convention yet, paying the airfare, transportation, hotel and convention room fees?

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

Look at were it was located. Vegas... In the middle of Nowhere and inb the out skirts of the ZLA ARTCC. This is located in ZTL right in the Heart of the ARTCC

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted
Look at were it was located. Vegas... In the middle of Nowhere and inb the out skirts of the ZLA ARTCC. This is located in ZTL right in the Heart of the ARTCC

You ever been to Vegas?

RJ

Tom Ferry 942166
Posted
Posted

Im with you Keith.....I would rather see these get togethers done at the local level. As you mention theres not a whole lot of people willing to pay for a flight, hotel, convention fee, and whatever else gets wrapped up into it. Ill be the first to say that organizing the event at las vegas last march was a pain. I tried to have everything done well in advance except for a few minor details. I think we had 15-20 show up.

Thanks to those that did make the trek to vegas but Im not sure I would want to see someone go through all the headaches I did for another 15 person get together.

If we did it at the local level....most if not the majority of the people are members of the ARTCC where the live....an event fairly close to home would be significantly cheaper and cost a whole lot less.....and probably have less headaches. If you are the brave person who would like to try and organize something locally for your artcc feel free to contact me and ill share with you some of the things I learned about the whole process.

Tom Ferry

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Ill be the first to say that organizing the event at las vegas last march was a pain. I tried to have everything done well in advance except for a few minor details. I think we had 15-20 show up.

I'm not suggesting it was the only reason, but I had serious concerns at the time the location was selected by the means this was done. Just because most participants at the VATUSA convention in Chicago liked Las Vegas doesn't mean that sentiment extended outside the room. Las Vegas is a wonderful city - it's like Disney World with strippers and gambling; I'm just unsure whether you can do anything in Vegas for very little money.

I do agree that when push comes to shove, there are an awful lot more people who say they'll come than show up. At the same time, a well-planned conference with a deposit in a location that has been demonstrated to draw a crowd would be an excellent idea.

Cheers!

Luke

Tom Ferry 942166
Posted
Posted
Ill be the first to say that organizing the event at las vegas last march was a pain. I tried to have everything done well in advance except for a few minor details. I think we had 15-20 show up.

I'm not suggesting it was the only reason, but I had serious concerns at the time the location was selected by the means this was done. Just because most participants at the VATUSA convention in Chicago liked Las Vegas doesn't mean that sentiment extended outside the room. Las Vegas is a wonderful city - it's like Disney World with strippers and gambling; I'm just unsure whether you can do anything in Vegas for very little money.

I do agree that when push comes to shove, there are an awful lot more people who say they'll come than show up. At the same time, a well-planned conference with a deposit in a location that has been demonstrated to draw a crowd would be an excellent idea.

Cheers!

Luke

I only made the event happen...I had nothing to do with the choosing of the city.

If your referring as a deposit to attend the convention. Good luck with that.

Tom Ferry

Darian Phillips 928692
Posted
Posted

I think we should definitely continue the VATUSA Convention's there awesome. Vegas was very good and ATL should be better. I mean the local event's can still be put together, don't you think. In my opnion we should still have it, I mean I'm sure theres many folks out there that would still love to come.

The Convention could host another ARTCC flyin as well as pilots on the side flying from there PC and/or notebook.

Darian W Phillips

Joe Caban 844086
Posted
Posted

Being that it is in Atlanta, which I am a local resident of, I am willing to help plan and organize it. I have not been asked yet formally but I would be willing to do it. I would need to know by Dec 1st. The earlier the better. If I get the word look for it to be in early April. I may be able to get some tours of the A80 and/or the ARTCC...we'll see.

Regards,

JX

John Binner
Posted
Posted

Well, Hopefully RJ will let me advertise for a moment here. AVSIM is having their conference and FanCon next weekend in Seattle! Today is the deadline for banquet and Friday night social, but at the door it's $15 to get in for the whole weekend to the main floor. We now have over 25 vendors attending!

More info at:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/2007conf/index.html

And, also, I mentioned about VATUSA and AVSIM teaming up for 2008. We alternate coasts so next year should be East Coast. Maybe something we can work out.

John Binner,

System Specs:

MB: ASUS M5A99FX

CPU: AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 125W AM3+ Eight-Core 4.0GHz

Video: Nvdia 970

Memory: 16GB DDR3

Win10 Pro 64-Bit

P3D v4, PMDG, ActiveSky, GEX, etc.

Mark Polston 810032
Posted
Posted
Well, Hopefully RJ will let me advertise for a moment here. AVSIM is having their conference and FanCon next weekend in Seattle! Today is the deadline for banquet and Friday night social, but at the door it's $15 to get in for the whole weekend to the main floor. We now have over 25 vendors attending!

More info at:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/2007conf/index.html

And, also, I mentioned about VATUSA and AVSIM teaming up for 2008. We alternate coasts so next year should be East Coast. Maybe something we can work out.

That would be awesome John. Something for VATUSA to sure think about. I don't know what will be the outcome for 2007, but Atlanta is a fun city with plenty of hotels and things to do.

Mark Polston

vZTL ARTCC | VATSIM Supervisor