You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problems with FSX (using vista) and getting fsco and fsinn

Dave McNeil 1028030

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

There may be help for this problem already but I cannot find it sofar in this forum, so I am hoping someone out there with a little patience can help out a newbie.

Specifically, I am running FSX using Vista (FSX by itself runs great), but I cannot get Vatsim to load. when I start FSX I cannot even get the add-on portion of the menu bar to show up.

I followed Larry James' " 4 easy steps tutorial" ( dated jun 20, 2007 ) to the letter but still having problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System info:

Hewlett packard m8125x

Vista operations

Intel core Quad CPU 2.40 GHz

32 bit

NVIDIA GE Force 7350 LE 128 MG

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Please answer the following:

1) Which Version of FSInn are you running?

2) Do you have check marks in the Compatible Tab of the three modules in the "Run As Administrator" box?

3) Do you have UAC turned off?

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your quick response Larry.

I was running version 1.3 as per your instructions, (I tried loading it on its own 1st, then cleaned out all files, and proceeded to load 1.2 seperately, then cleaned all files, then loaded both together hoping that 1.3 would update / and or add any missing files to version 1.2).

Yes, I did check off all admin. boxes as instructed .... but on this computer I am the admin. , I did so anyway.

And I was going to ask what is UAC?? I could not figure out what this stood for.

The only deviation I made from your instructions was at the point where you instructed to click on chat once, and exit. I found that it required me to exit 2wice.. the first time I exit-ed was from what looked like a dialogue box, but the VATSIM control panel was still present, so I also exit-ed that. On my next attempt I was going to try without the 2nd exit ( not sure if that has any bearing or not ). I have not had a chance to try try loading all files again as I thought it was time to seek [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Thank you for your quick response Larry.

I was running version 1.3 as per your instructions, (I tried loading it on its own 1st, then cleaned out all files, and proceeded to load 1.2 seperately, then cleaned all files, then loaded both together hoping that 1.3 would update / and or add any missing files to version 1.2).

The version 1.3 is imperative. Also, you have to insure a full uninstall of FSCopilot/FSInn when changing versions.

Yes, I did check off all admin. boxes as instructed .... but on this computer I am the admin. , I did so anyway.

It’s extremely unlikely that you are running the Administrator account. Microsoft hid and disabled the Administrator account in Vista. They don’t trust the user with the “trueâ€

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

David Krempa 1028707
Posted
Posted

I am having the same problems, I have been messing with this for 2 days now. Every little bit helps. I have been through all the forums and mcdu.com and read and tried everything the forums/setup guides have said. Does FSX need to be a clean install?? I have tried to setup the programs with compatability set to XPSP2, and always as administrator. nothing seems to work. I am sure the answer I need is in one of these forums. If anyone has a "setup FSCopilot 1.7, FSInn 2.3 with FSX and VISTA for dummies" that would be great. I am not a genius on the computer and some of the stuff I just plain don't understand. I am using VISTA Premium, with FSX, I have an ASUS G1S which runs FSX great. Thanks in advance for your help.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
I am having the same problems, I have been messing with this for 2 days now. Every little bit helps. I have been through all the forums and mcdu.com and read and tried everything the forums/setup guides have said. Does FSX need to be a clean install?? I have tried to setup the programs with compatability set to XPSP2, and always as administrator. nothing seems to work. I am sure the answer I need is in one of these forums. If anyone has a "setup FSCopilot 1.7, FSInn 2.3 with FSX and VISTA for dummies" that would be great. I am not a genius on the computer and some of the stuff I just plain don't understand. I am using VISTA Premium, with FSX, I have an ASUS G1S which runs FSX great. Thanks in advance for your help.

Did you do the steps in this thread?

Please start off by answering my first three questions in this thread. That would give me a clue as to your problem and resolution.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

David Krempa 1028707
Posted
Posted

Thank you again for your quick reply to answer you questions:

I am running FSInn 1.3

2) Do you have check marks in the Compatible Tab of the three modules in the "Run As Administrator" box?

Yes, it is set to administrator. (should it be running as VISTA or XPSP2?)

This is where I think I am going wrong, I think this is where I need my "Dummies Guide"

Also, When installing should I change any of the default settings? Some forums say yes some say no. And finally, Does it matter weather I enter the info like, VATSIM ID, P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, Callsign, etc.. during installation or later?

Again, thank you very much for all your help.

David Krempa 1028707
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I am also running FSCopilot 1.7

Thanks again!!

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Thank you again for your quick reply to answer you questions:

I am running FSInn 1.3

Yes, it is set to administrator. (should it be running as VISTA or XPSP2?)

The steps in http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=20466 are what’s important.

This is where I think I am going wrong, I think this is where I need my "Dummies Guide"

Then it seems like you’re saying you didn’t do this step. All the steps in the link are important. Skipping one will cause some problems, even if you don’t notice the problem immediately.

You can find the UAC control in the User’s Account options in the Control Panel.

Also, When installing should I change any of the default settings? Some forums say yes some say no. And finally, Does it matter weather I enter the info like, VATSIM ID, P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, Callsign, etc.. during installation or later?

It doesn’t matter. I would find it convenient to follow the link I gave you. If you don’t miss one of those steps, it’s unlikely you’d experience any problems.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

David Krempa 1028707
Posted
Posted

After all that I finally got it to work. I ended up doing a complete reinstall of everything. Thanks for all your help Larry. The only question I have now is how to use everything, Are the user manuals on the MCDU.com website good for FSInn 1.3 and FSCopilot 1.7, if not where can I get some guidance on how to use it. Again, Larry, thank you for all your help. Dave

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Hi Larry, me again. Congrats to Dave for getting his program up and running, I'me still fighting with mine.

I followed your instructions step by step Larry and still cannot get VATSIM working. I vacuumed out fsx, fscopilot, fsinn and a sweet little add-on plane, also vacuumed out a patch program for fsx sdk, did a disk cleanup and a defrag hoping to start with as fresh a disk as possible without resorting to a "full-on" disk restore.

I loaded Fsx, and loaded patch VS 2005 SP1.

I downloaded FSCopilot and FSinn ver's 1.7 & 1.3 respect.

I installed both and did not enter any info on any fields as instructed.

I entered program files and ran FSFDTCP.exe (run as admin was still checked off from prior attempts)

I entered " " " " FSFDTCPLite.exe (...............)

I entered " " " " FSInnUI.exe (............) - clicked on chat once and exited out of it, deviated from your instructions as I had to exit 2wice to make window disappear.

I found the UAC thanks to your help, and disabled it ( turned it off ).

Proceeded to run FSX, noticed "traffic light in lower toolbar" was visible - reading 3 red lights down the left side, 1 red, 1 yellow and one green on the right in that order.

I proceeded to pick a plane and a starting airport (CYYC) and fire'd her up. no luck. I still cannot get an add-on menu on my FS tool bar and the "traffic light" displays the same lights as described above, if I right click this icon, the window indicates conection errors.

I am sure that I am making a mistake in this proceedure but I cannot figure out what it is, and I realize that it's going to be even tougher for you, but I am real intent on getting this program running. If its a question of waiting for more current software than I will wait, but from what I am reading, it seems more likely I am not doing something quite right. Please help if you can, thanks again (in advance).

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted

Dave,

You mention having installed VS 2005 SP1. Did you apply the FSX Service Pack 1 available here: http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack1.aspx

Also, do you have the Level-D 767 installed?

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Hi Jim ... yes I did, after installing FSX, I activated it online and downloaded FSX sp1 and applied it to FSX. I downloaded but did not apply the SDK patch.

I do not know of a Level-D 767 ??? I have not seen any referance to this. What is it??

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted

It's a payware 767 which seems to bring out a flaw in the dll.xml file.

You stated you can't get any addon meu to display. I first saw this issue when that 767 was released. Basically, the installation routine moves a couple of entires in the dll.xml and prevents the addon menu from displaying.

Do you have FSUIPC installed? If so, is it the free or payware version?

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted

Dave,

One other question I have is that you said you vacuumed out FSX. Does this mean you uninstalled it completely?

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

JIm.... I do not specifically have fsuipc installed unless it is affiliated with another program. I installed FSX on a new computer with no previous versions of flight sim on it ( for some reason that file name rings a bell, like a previous fs version??)

You were talking 767.... at one point I did install a sweet little Citation jet with a Sandel 3308a nav system, (still reading the manual), but when I cleaned the system to reload the above in the order specified by Larry, I vacuumed that out and did not reload untill I could verify that Vatsim would work ...... are you thinking that there could be a file stuck somewhere causing a problem ????

I have every previous Flight Sim, but have not installed any of them on this computer, and kind of hoped I would not have to.

But at this point I am open to any and all suggestions.

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted

FSInn seems to work best on a virgin install of FSX with only SP1 applied immediately after the install. If your vaccomeing attempts failed to clean out a remnent of some other product or the cleaning actually affected one of the FSX files necessary to make the thing work, that may be why FSInn is giving you so much grief.

When you uninstalled FSX, there are some folders and files that escape the routine. Files remain in your AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder as well as those found in your Flight Simulator X Files folder. If any of these are left over from a previous installation, they could cause you issues. Whether they are is a good question.

I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer. I know I followed Larry's instructions to the letter and FSInn worked. He's definitely the expert on FSInn.

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

I understand what you are saying Jim. After the vacuum process I have been diligent in entering the program files and removing any and all file folders, and sub folders that I could, that relate to FSX, FSCopilot and FSInn I could find. But I'm not too sure that some other files exist that I will not see .... so .... not sure what to do at this point. ??

Thanks a-bunch for your input, much appreciated.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
After all that I finally got it to work. I ended up doing a complete reinstall of everything. Thanks for all your help Larry. The only question I have now is how to use everything, Are the user manuals on the MCDU.com website good for FSInn 1.3 and FSCopilot 1.7, if not where can I get some guidance on how to use it. Again, Larry, thank you for all your help. Dave

You're welcome.

The manuals can be found at http://mcdu.com/download .

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

I proceeded to pick a plane and a starting airport (CYYC) and fire'd her up. no luck. I still cannot get an add-on menu on my FS tool bar and the "traffic light" displays the same lights as described above, if I right click this icon, the window indicates conection errors.

It sounds like a Firewall problem. Which Firewall/Antivirus program are you running?

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

Hi Larry .... currently running Norton Anti-virus.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi Larry .... currently running Norton Anti-virus.

Do you have full access granted to the three modules in your Norton configuration as well as the Windows Firewall?

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

yes I do Larry .... I have all 3 programs checked off to run as administrator in the compatibility mode as you instructed and I turned off uac as instructed

Dave.

Dave McNeil 1028030
Posted
Posted

sorry Larry , I dont think I answered your question properly.

I have done nothing with the Norton Anti-virus or firewall as of yet - this Vista always asks me to allow some operations or run programs, which of course I allow.

When I switched off uac, I was not able to run any programs or completely download any programs, but I switched it off at the point you indicated I should (just prior to running, FSX).

At one point I did disable the firewall and tried the program and it still did not work ..... and as I was uncomfortable running the computer without any anti-virus/spyware, I enabled the firewall shortly after verifing Vatsim still did not load ( did not show up on the tool-bar as an add-on).

David Krempa 1028707
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the help again Larry, I have learned a lot about how everything works since I started this "adventure." Dave, I was having the same problems you are a couple of days ago. What changed my situation is COMPLETELY UNINSTALLED FSX and SP1, did a disk defrag with Perfect Disk 8.0 then reinstalled FSX, SP1, FSCopilot, and finally FSInn. Then another defrag. After that I went with the step by step Larry has been referring to. Everything went like clockwork. The only bad thing was that I lost all of my saved games etc.. from FSX. I guess there is always a bad side to the good but everything works great. Hopefully this helps you out, good luck with everything. See you in the "air".