You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ZLA Exam HARD!!!!

Alexander Nguyen 1028848

Alexander Nguyen 1028848
Posted
Posted

Does anybody know where I can find a good study guide for the ZLA Basic Exam? The SOPs are a bit difficult to understand and know fully. I found the specifics of the questions a bit difficult for a beginner like me. And no I am not whining or complaining. I am willing to retake the test but I just need help of better understanding the concepts.

If anyone is willing to help me p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the test I will be grateful.

Thanks again.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

In all honesty - the best (and only) study guide is http://www.laartcc.org

ALL of the answers are available on the website. In fact - the entire purpose of the exam is to help you familiarize yourself with basic concepts, policies, and most importantly where to find things on the ZLA website.

It's an open book test. When you retake it - pace yourself and don't be in a rush. All you have to do is look the answers up. Nothing is easy - but nothing is hard either, it's all a matter of enjoying the time it takes to learn.

Hundreds of other beginners have slogged their way through the same exam.

EDIT: I just noticed your other post. Be advised that on average it takes longer than 4 whole minutes to complete the test with a good chance for success. In all honestly - if the timing is in fact correct and this is any indication of your dedication - you are about to be quite dissapointed.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Alexander Nguyen 1028848
Posted
Posted

Well I did kinda rush this first one. I'll try to find time next week to actually do it carefully. So much info i have to understand. What happens if 3 times and you don't p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]?

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted
In all honesty - the best (and only) study guide is http://www.laartcc.org

ALL of the answers are available on the website. In fact - the entire purpose of the exam is to help you familiarize yourself with basic concepts, policies, and most importantly where to find things on the ZLA website.

It's an open book test. When you retake it - pace yourself and don't be in a rush. All you have to do is look the answers up. Nothing is easy - but nothing is hard either, it's all a matter of enjoying the time it takes to learn.

Hundreds of other beginners have slogged their way through the same exam.

EDIT: I just noticed your other post. Be advised that on average it takes longer than 4 whole minutes to complete the test with a good chance for success. In all honestly - if the timing is in fact correct and this is any indication of your dedication - you are about to be quite dissapointed.

Couldn't have said it better... gives you a good taste for what to expect at the facility for your training. If its too much, I might suggest finding another facility with more lax procedures. Chicago is much the same way with regards to the basic exam.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted

WOW

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Honestly, I don't think I could take and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the test in 4 minutes, and I know that stuff forward and backward. That's a question about every 5 seconds!!!

In any event, as has already been mentioned, the Basic Exam will be the easiest thing you'll ever do at ZLA. We are a very intense and busy center, and as result, we demand a lot from our controllers. You really do need to start working a little harder if you plan to succeed at ZLA. We are more than happy to help you, but the Instructors and Mentors will only put forth the effort they get back from you. If you put forth no effort, you shouldn't expect to receive a lot of help in return.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Donovan Ernst 904151
Posted
Posted

you can try honolulu artcc. Its very easy to learn.

we only have 10 questions on our sop test.

all on an ipod touch!!

Don

Don Ernst

I1, HCF_ATM

7684.png

Alexander Nguyen 1028848
Posted
Posted

I understand the need for serious ATC in this area as it is one of the busiest eras in Northa America. I can't join Honolulu because i don't live there. I am best around SOCAL.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I understand the need for serious ATC in this area as it is one of the busiest eras in Northa America. I can't join Honolulu because i don't live there. I am best around SOCAL.

Just so you know, you don't have to live in the area you want to control in.

When I started with ATC, I lived in Vegas, but my choices were ZLA because of Vegas, ZMP because I was born/raised in Omaha, and YMMM because I knew Australian airspace, and any of them worked for me.

Now that I'm split between Vegas and NorCal (I'm about 4 miles from the RW NorCal TRACON), I still control at ZLA. Heh.. we have some guys controlling there from all over, and ZLA is their primary spot. Same with ZOB, ZBW, and just about everywhere on the planet.

That's one of the biggest advantages VATSIM has to offer. So don't feel that you have to limit yourself to where you physically are.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Tyler Alexander 878858
Posted
Posted

Like Brad said the place you live doesn't dictate the ARTCC you must join.

Born in LA, raised in Chicago, lived a bit in Toronto, went to college in Colorado, now I'm back living in LA again yet I control at ZNY. I looked at ZLA, ZAU, ZDV, ZYZ, and ZNY closely before joining. In the end it was a toss up between Chicago and New York. What swung me over to ZNY was the opportunity to control the busiest traffic corridor around, that was pretty much it.

Anyways, Alexander, take some time reading the ZLA SOP, read the available training material they have posted on their website, and don't be afraid to ask questions. It takes time and effort to work your way up as a controller, the more you put into it the more you'll get out of it. Good luck.

6799.png

David Walsh 811659
Posted
Posted

Hehe, born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand. I control at ZLA...not only is LA not my area, its not in my "state" (we don't really have that concept), country, continent or hemisphere

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
Hehe, born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand. I control at ZLA...not only is LA not my area, its not in my "state" (we don't really have that concept), country, continent or hemisphere

As far as ZLA goes (off the top of my head):

I'm from Canada

The ZLA ATM (chief) is from Canada

the ZLA TA (training guy) is from Russia

There are at least 4 other Canadians on the roster

We've got at least one controller living in Pakistan

Of the previous 4 chiefs - one was American, the others were British (American expat), Canadian, and Australian (residing in the Garden State).

Of the remaining lot who actually ARE american - a high number of them live further from SoCal than I do.

So - controlling where you live is certainly not a requirement - and I might add one of the greatest things about Vatsim.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

I'm from Canada

Of the previous 4 chiefs - one was American, the others were British (American expat), Canadian, and Australian (residing in the Garden State).

Of the remaining lot who actually ARE american - a high number of them live further from SoCal than I do.

So - controlling where you live is certainly not a requirement - and I might add one of the greatest things about Vatsim.

And one from Ireland

vatme-sig.jpg

Francisco Obregon 1004310
Posted
Posted

Oh it hard, My 2nd time taking it, and failed the first time by like 2% i think, and the 2nd by more lol.

Good thing I didn't buy you that microphone Eugene .

Haaha JK. It's all good, Ill p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] it eventually.

Tom Solon
Posted
Posted

I'm from Canada

Our ATC from Pakistan actually lives in the Philippines, I've just found out! Oh, and I live in Washington, DC as does one of our instructors.

Honestly, I don't think I could take and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the test in 4 minutes, and I know that stuff forward and backward. That's a question about every 5 seconds!!!

You took the test in four minutes? No wonder you failed it. Take your time is all I can say.

TOM SOLON

VATSIM NETWORK SUPERVISOR

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted
And one from Ireland

You just had to expose me

On a serious note, ZLA does have a lot of procedures etc, but once you grasp them it'll pay off. I've transfered there at the end of July, and have/am enjoying every second of it

Controllers have feelings too...

Andrew Rogers 913862
Posted
Posted

I have controlled for practicly my whole vLife in Honolulu was even the ATM there for a term or two. I can't say that i live anywere close to Honolulu or Hawaii for that matter. I live in Maine.... OTHER side of teh country

Andrew Rogers

Senior Controller -HCF