You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Does anyone know how to make the players planes more clear

Trent Smith

Trent Smith
Posted
Posted

Hey i was looking at all the airplanes last night and they are kinda blurry.

Any help?

Paul Nelson 1001839
Posted
Posted

had you been drinkin ?

If you are using FSInn , i recall there is an option within the SET menu for "Show low res models" . which may be ticked and causing that which you describe.

could it be you were just tired ?

Trent Smith
Posted
Posted

Its not that I dont think because I use Squakbox. There must be a way because right now it only looks mildly realistic.

Mike Phyrio 988306
Posted
Posted
Its not that I dont think because I use Squakbox. There must be a way because right now it only looks mildly realistic.

Mildly, huh. Talk someone you know, who has a plane with retracts, into flying with you. Get close up and see if the realism doesn't take a bigger hit. From what I have read on these hallowed forums and others, the SB planes are in a library called VIP (th[Mod - Happy Thoughts] why, when you see another airplane and they have that red lettering close to them, it identifies the plane as VIP something something), and they are designed to keep your framerates from going through the roof of your monitor. Some look pretty good....others look just plane awful. But that's what you get for nuttin' and it sure beats the poop outta what they used to be, I hear. But someday, maybe, they'll all really look good and we'll look back on these days the way we now look back on the 286. And then somebody will find Judge Crater.

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

I don't think SquawkBox does too bad. I can recognize the type of aircraft, very often the livery is correct (although an awful lot of pilots are flying with VIP livery, it seems, including myself, I suspect), the navigation lights are there and the retractable gear, although I don't see landing lights or some other details. I just need to be able to see and avoid, not critique the paint job. It would be nice if more detail were depicted, but only if it could be done without affecting the frame rates.

8564.png

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted
(although an awful lot of pilots are flying with VIP livery, it seems, including myself, I suspect)

The VIP livery is only shown when the user doesn't define their aircraft and airline livery correctly when selecting aircraft on Squawkbox.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Donald Hudson 947262
Posted
Posted
...and the retractable gear, although I don't see landing lights or some other details.

Not entirely true. Squawkbox does not recognize retractable gear. It only sees them as up or down. It depends on the model used. Models with "retractable" gear always display "up" (even on the ground). Models with "stationary" gear always display "down" (even at 30,000 ft.).

It also does a poor job of displaying lights, however depending on the models used.....some lights will flash. Oooooh.

klaxsigxs0.jpgeasternlogoze0.png

Donald Hudson 947262
Posted
Posted
Paul O'Donnell 969350 The VIP livery is only shown when the user doesn't define their aircraft and airline livery correctly when selecting aircraft on Squawkbox.

Not entirely true, either. Many airline liveries are not in the SB modelset, and even if "listed" as an option will not display as anything other than VIP.

Airline liveries not included with the original download of SB must be created and added to be recognized.

klaxsigxs0.jpgeasternlogoze0.png

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

I'm certain I've seen gear both up and down on aircraft with retractable gear (such as 767s). I don't recall seeing the gear move, as I'm not normally looking to see if it is correctly animated when retracting or extending. But on the ground the gear is most definitely there.

I see navigation lights, too, but not strobes or landing lights.

Actually, the SquawkBox aircraft aren't any worse than the static aircraft that some scenery packages insist on putting on the airport.

8564.png

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted
Paul O'Donnell 969350 The VIP livery is only shown when the user doesn't define their aircraft and airline livery correctly when selecting aircraft on Squawkbox.

Not entirely true, either. Many airline liveries are not in the SB modelset, and even if "listed" as an option will not display as anything other than VIP.

Airline liveries not included with the original download of SB must be created and added to be recognized.

Yep, thats why you need to select a livery. If it says "Generic" then there is no livery and it will display as VIP.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Trent Smith
Posted
Posted

So Should I download somting to maybe see if it would be more clear like the .dll Common shapes library.?