You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

connecting to VATSIM from Saudi Arabia

Robert Howe 935091

Robert Howe 935091
Posted
Posted

Hi all. Recently I have experienced problems connecting to VATSIM: I don't see any traffic visual in the MP session although I know there is traffic nearby. I have spent a week trying to fix the problem (uninstalled antivirus, turned off firewall, reinstalled SB3 and FSUIPC) but no success. I'm wondering if it's the ISP here. Is there anyone else connecting from inside Saudi Arabia who's having the same problem? Or anyone connecting successfully?

Thanks

Rob

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

I had a similar problem, but it was all in the USA. Under one ISP (Comcast) I got no MP information and could not receive voice. Having moved to another ISP in a different part of the country, everything works just fine. I didn't change a single setting, piece of hardware, or anything.

Go figure.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Robert:

Are you behind a router? If you are:

From SB3's FAQ #28:

What ports does SquawkBox use for network communication?

For connecting outside your local network, SquawkBox uses TCP port 6809 and UDP port 3290 for outgoing connections only. SquawkBox does not accept any incoming connections. The DirectPlay system used by Microsoft Flight Simulator for multiplayer functionality uses a number of network ports, but those are only used internally for communication between Flight Simulator and SquawkBox.

Make sure you have opened these ports on your router to ensure that you are connecting to the network correctly.

I hope this helps.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Robert Howe 935091
Posted
Posted

Hi George

No, I'm not using a router. It's a direct dial-up connection and I've used it for two years with no problems up to a week ago when I stopped seeing MP traffic. I've tried everything I can think of, so I now suspect the ISP of blocking ports for some reason. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who's connecting from within Saudi Arabia. If anyone can still connect and see traffic, I'd be interested to know which ISP they are using.

Rob

Mahmoud Fadli 819693
Posted
Posted
Hi George

No, I'm not using a router. It's a direct dial-up connection and I've used it for two years with no problems up to a week ago when I stopped seeing MP traffic. I've tried everything I can think of, so I now suspect the ISP of blocking ports for some reason. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who's connecting from within Saudi Arabia. If anyone can still connect and see traffic, I'd be interested to know which ISP they are using.

Rob

I've never tried to connect from Saudi Arabia, but I know that things work just fine in Jordan (I say that because both countries probably use the same networks etc. for the internet). What I'd suggest is to call up your ISP and see what ports they block.

MFSIGVATAME.png

Mahmoud A. Fadli - 819693

Deputy Region Director

VATSIM Africa & Middle East Region

http://www.vatame.org

"Strength in Diversity"

Ahmed Hasan 958620
Posted
Posted

Hi

I think sometimes ago a couple of saudi guys used to connect on VATSIM without any problems and I know a big amount of them than connect on the other network with no problems

also As i live between Cairo and Sharjah,UAE Where they apply in UAE Some proxy restrections i never had any problems getting other traffic online which should be the same as in KSA

My suggestion as stated above that you should give yous ISP A call

if you still need help from someone who lives in KSA Let me know

Ahmed H[Mod - Happy Thoughts]an

vpa240.png

• 4 weeks later...
Zachary Beard
Posted
Posted
Hi

I think sometimes ago a couple of saudi guys used to connect on VATSIM without any problems and I know a big amount of them than connect on the other network with no problems

also As i live between Cairo and Sharjah,UAE Where they apply in UAE Some proxy restrections i never had any problems getting other traffic online which should be the same as in KSA

My suggestion as stated above that you should give yous ISP A call

if you still need help from someone who lives in KSA Let me know

Define KSA.

Ahmed Hasan 958620
Posted
Posted

Define KSA.

Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia

When Indoubt Consult Google

Ahmed H[Mod - Happy Thoughts]an

vpa240.png

Zachary Beard
Posted
Posted

Define KSA.

Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia

True, I was making sure you weren't talking about Kinshasa for some reason, haha.

Mahmoud Fadli 819693
Posted
Posted

Define KSA.

Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia

True, I was making sure you weren't talking about Kinshasa for some reason, haha.

Hehe. Many Arab countries have abbreviations of their proper name.

KSA = Kingdom (of) Saudi Arabia

HKJ = Hashimte Kingdom of Jordan

etc. etc. =P

MFSIGVATAME.png

Mahmoud A. Fadli - 819693

Deputy Region Director

VATSIM Africa & Middle East Region

http://www.vatame.org

"Strength in Diversity"

Ahmed Hasan 958620
Posted
Posted