You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Staticky noise at beginning and end of many transmission

Wayne Conrad 989233

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Starting yesterday, most voice channel transmissions that I receive in xsquawkbox have an annoying bit of sharp static at the beginning and/or end of the transmission. I've made no intentional software changes on my end. Is anyone else noticing this? Any idea where the problem might be?

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

William Stuart 924159
Posted
Posted

Last night did my first online flight and did not notice any static at all.

Using a new mid2007 iMac, xsquawkbox 1.01

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

William, Thanks.

Just as mysteriously as the staticky noise arrived, it has gone. Flew last night and wasn't bothered by it.

Go figure.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

I've never experienced that Wayne. The only voice issues I've ever encountered are choppiness. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it had to do with the mice spinning the wheel on my old P4-2.6C CPU.

Also - when scenery updates happen and I get the short "freeze", when we come back to reality, I usually get every single transmission that went while I was in the freeze - on top of each other.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Zachary Beard
Posted
Posted
Starting yesterday, most voice channel transmissions that I receive in xsquawkbox have an annoying bit of sharp static at the beginning and/or end of the transmission. I've made no intentional software changes on my end. Is anyone else noticing this? Any idea where the problem might be?

Happens to me sometimes, either static, or a large beep/ping. Must be a server problemo or something.

Clemens Martin
Posted
Posted

I noticed this noice phenomenia even on SB3 for FS9. It happens to me all the time when flying in the carribean sea area and ATC is online. When flying other areas (USA/Europe/...) it never happened to me. I didn't check out X-Plane in the carribean yet, but i guess this is a voice server thing. I am not sure which rw-server the ATC guys in carribean use.

• 1 month later...
Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

I just installed the plugin, and all seems to function correctly, but I also get a very loud static noise at the beginning of each transmission OF OTHERS.

I tried mulitiple servers, etc with the same effect. I hear the transmissions after that fine, but the noise renders the product unusable.

I have tested the speakers and mic and a headset in windows, and the levels all respond correctly, and I can record/playback fine.

I may try a standalone version of squawkbox (MFSFS?) and see if I get the same result. I also thought of opening the port specifiec from the router, although I believe I wouldnt have anything if it were a port issue.

I am a static unregistered IP behind a NAT Cable modem (comcast)

I run x-plane 8.64 on 4 networked quadcore machines >60fps.

I see others have had this issue, but I don't find any exact resolutions.

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Jefferson,

It's interesting that you are now having this problem. I haven't had it for months. It went away for the same reason it appeared--for no apparent reason at all.

Unfortunately, there's no other game in town. You can't run the squawkbox-for-MSFS with X-Plane.

I also run behind a cable router with a static IP, although not with the awesome computing power you've got there. Nice setup.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

Thanks Wayne. I now realize I can't test a MSFS version for debugging. I'll try the port forwarding just for grins, and I'll try it on a different computer as well. Frustrating, as I am SO looking forward to adding Vatsim to my training. About to install a Real G1000 so I can do respectable GPS approaches and load FULL procedures from teh G1000 database. Xplane's a bit weak without it!

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

I have had that sharp static every so often too, both when ATC and pilots speak. Very annoying. Happens to me about once a month.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

I went here http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xsb/download.php and downloaed 1.0

I then deleted the 1.01 files in my plugin directory, and placed the 1.0 files there. I recalibrated the mic, and wala, the screech went away. Not sure what Good stuff from 1.01 I gave away..