You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

UTC?

Kevin Tsai 1029796

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

From NIST (emphasis mine):

In 1970 the Coordinated Universal Time system was devised by an international advisory group of technical experts within the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). The ITU felt it was best to designate a single abbreviation for use in all languages in order to minimize confusion. Since unanimous agreement could not be achieved on using either the English word order, CUT, or the French word order, TUC, the acronym UTC was chosen as a compromise.
ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

Wayne beat me to it, but you have your reference now.

UNICOM doesn't stand for anything, despite urban mythology. It's a licensed base station at an airport that can be used to communicate with an FBO, and should normally be used for communications between air and ground. MULTICOM is not a physical station but merely a frequency allocation, and is intended for air-to-air communication (between pilots). MULTICOM doesn't stand for anything, either.

"UNiversal Integrated COMmunications" doesn't even make sense, in light of what UNICOM really is. It's not universal, and it doesn't integrate anything.

All of the above applies to the U.S. I don't know what the status of these CTAFs may be elsewhere.

8564.png

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

From American Heritage Dictionary (dictionary.com):

ac·ro·nym (Ä
ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Only on VATSIM could you find a 2 page thread about the time.

Gary Millsaps 830104
Posted
Posted
Only on VATSIM could you find a 2 page thread about the time.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Gary Millsaps

VATUSA1

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...

guaranteed."