You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Global rating policy feedback from ATMs

J Jason Vodnansky 810003

J Jason Vodnansky 810003
Posted
Posted

Directed to the ATMs...

In another topic located here, the following statement is made...

Vatusa had nothing to do with that policy. It is from VATSIM, and covers all regions/divisions, etc... Further, VATUSA had no say in the policy development when it was released because there was no VATUSA1 at the time. Please understand that VATUSA did not create that policy. Rumors like those, even unintentional, cause a majority of the problems that are currently wreaking havoc on the network. Thus the need for clarification.

For the level of complaints received about VATUSA not soliciting feedback from the ATMs on the global ratings DRAFT policy, there are those who are VERY surprised at the LACK of RESPONSE from the recent solicitation for feedback that byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the current leadership.

An attempt for feedback was emailed to ALL ATMs recently by a founder, and fewer than 50% of the ATMs responded to that request. As the founder stated...

"They were asked for their input, failed to give it, they got no right to complain about the policy"

Bottom line, if you want to provide ANY feedback on the global ratings policy, please reply to THAT received email. It was sent specifically to byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] any "filtering" that is occuring by the leadership.

Regards,

Jason Vodnansky

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Well, I responded, so I think I have a right to complain .

As it is, it is being sorted out and I believe we'll have a resolution to keep everyone happy very soon.

Cheers!

Paul.

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

That was my quote, not sure what it has to do with this, but... The problem I currently see is that many of the complainers about the policy (ATMs) are spreading false information to their ARTCCs. This, in return, leads to controllers posting with false information. They think it is true, it becomes a debate, etc... As Jason has said, the opportunity for ATMs to voice their opinions to the top br[Mod - Happy Thoughts] was made available, and many chose not to respond. My quote above was a reply to a member that said "And vatusa wanted to send untrained controllers to work minor airports". Not VATUSA.

My quote above, found in that thread, was a reference to the ignorance presented by many people on the forums here. Is is not an insult, or intended for any negative purpose, but it is true. VATUSA is only the middle man, and I'm sure many people will agree with me here (Dennis, Andrew, etc...) that we are tired of seeing inaccurate information being released through interpretation. We are all part of VATUSA, and all part of VATSIM. We should work together to progress forward, which means releasing accurate information and holding constructive debates. Not fighting and arguing on the forums for the sake of hearing ourselves talk.

So, lets stop the lynch-mob on VATUSA. If you enjoy this behavior, atleast direct it to the source of the docomeent (not recommended). They will listen if you present your opinion in a constructive manner. Now whether they actually use your advice.... different story

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Tom Ferry 942166
Posted
Posted
Directed to the ATMs...

For the level of complaints received about VATUSA not soliciting feedback from the ATMs on the global ratings DRAFT policy, there are those who are VERY surprised at the LACK of RESPONSE from the recent solicitation for feedback that byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the current leadership.

An attempt for feedback was emailed to ALL ATMs recently by a founder, and fewer than 50% of the ATMs responded to that request. As the founder stated...

"They were asked for their input, failed to give it, they got no right to complain about the policy"

Truly disheartening...........I tried fighting tooth and nail for the oppurtunity for everyone to express their opinion when I was in the USA2 position. Now it happened and no one responded. Perhaps theres been so much turn over all the new ATM's have no idea whats been going on.

Tom Ferry

Ernie Alston 812154
Posted
Posted

Truly disheartening...........I tried fighting tooth and nail for the oppurtunity for everyone to express their opinion when I was in the USA2 position. Now it happened and no one responded. Perhaps theres been so much turn over all the new ATM's have no idea whats been going on.

There's always been apathy in Vatusa amongst the ATM's.

I dunno why, but its always been that way.

Regards.

Ernie.

alcsig1b.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tom - couldn't agree more.

What made it even more difficult (for me at least) was when all of the "fighting" was going on earlier this year... and new ATMs came into office that had little idea of what was going on, and proceeded to speak out against those of us without knowing the whole picture - I feel as if I'm still seeing (or hearing about) this happen right now in some areas...

I'll gladly provide feedback if they'll accept it from an ex-ATM... I've still got plenty to say about things.

Regards,

AD

Edited by Guest

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

There's always been apathy in Vatusa amongst the ATM's.

I dunno why, but its always been that way.

Regards.

Ernie.

I'll second this one too Ernie... Seen plenty of examples of this.

AD

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Jason, you can be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured that there is PLENTY of feedback being provided to the proper people, using the proper methods, regarding the new global policy. You're not seeing anything here, because there really isn't much to discuss in the public forum at this point. You're also correct in that every ATM/DATM isn't participating in that discussion, and quite honestly, I have no idea why. The ones who are participating though, are doing a heck of a job to ensure that VATUSA has its say in this policy, and in how this policy will be implemented at our divisional level.

Guys...it comes down to this. Your ATMs/DATMs are there to represent the everyday controller from your ARTCCs. If that isn't happening, there is something wrong. They are there to ensure the best for your ARTCC and for the division as a whole. If you have a concern regarding the policy, or are genuinely concerned that your ATM/DATM might not be participating in the discussion, ask them. Ask them to voice your ARTCC's opinion.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Some ATMs are voicing their concerns through private avenues, either private messages on VRC or through email. It can be an effective way to say whatever you want without the implications of people taking your words the wrong way through interpretation. Also, some don't feel the need to get involved in the dog fights if they don't think the proper resolution will be reached.

I said this to Craig, and I'll say it again here. It seems that people are taking everything personally, rather than treating it as a separate issue. IMHO, I think some of the management, especially in VATUSA, are treating the ATMs as opponents rather than concerned teammates. We all share one goal, to progress forward and make the hobby better for the people who will steal our jobs down the road, no? It is destructive to get into arguments, and then start backpedaling and becoming defensive. A common example of this problem is the fighting and bickering that occurs on the public forums here. In a way, it happens in the staff forum too.

Lack of communication, in my opinion, is deadly. That is obviously happening right now and it has proved to be destructive, atleast in VATUSA. Until we are given a docomeent that says here is the VATUSA V.2 of the Global Policy, we can't really argue or do much about it. Nobody knows what is really going on, aside from the fact that we know we have a mess.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

• 3 weeks later...
Karl Kleiber 812804
Posted
Posted

Well

Like Paul I have been working with the team since July on these issues. We told our controllers enough to fill them in without giving too much information. The reason was simple, early on this was very fluid and in fact changed drastically once we had the correct info. Now we have told the entire ARTCC what it all means and set up our implementation plan. If everyone was told the details early on it would have caused a huge problem, as the initial info given to us was bad.

One thing is for sure thanks to the hard work of some of us this policy will not hurt the US, but can actually be a positive direction for us.

Karl Kleiber

North American Deputy Director

atc1o.png

Glenn Blanco 852844
Posted
Posted

so, is there a given resolution for this issue yet or is this still being debated within VATUSA?

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

A policy has been voted on and approved by the ATMs. You will most likely see this soon, although the final draft is being finalized and final corrections are being made.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1