You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New to Vatsim

Paul White 1008065

Paul White 1008065
Posted
Posted

Good evening,

Probably a daft question but as someone new to Virtual flying with Voice ATC could someone please help?

If I am at say EGGD ready to fly to EGPH and there are no EGGD controllers showing in the squawkbox window how do I make my flight? Or do I just go to another airport where it is manned and do another flight after filing a new FP? Or does one controller man more than one airport?

Also once airborne am I automatically talked to along the route by ATC from other stations?

Thanks for your help (in anticipation!) and sorry if they are stupid questions!

Paul

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Paul and welcome to vatsim - be prepared to become hooked.

When you are at an airfield with no controllers on line - you can still fly. Tune your radio to 122.80 (unicom). On

this frequency you announce your intentions via text. You don't have to state everything. If you see other traffic

at the airfield be aware of there positions and announce push back - taxi etc. Prior to departing hold short of the runway

and announce you departure intentions. If no one responds after say 30 seconds you can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that

no one is on approach so enter the runway and take off.

When airborne announce that as well.

Use a similar sort of procedure when approaching an airfield for landing.

As you fly you will become familiar with unicom - but beware of the useless messages like

ABC1123 climbing to FL310 (no mention of where or heading - no use to anyone).

BTW - unicome is not to be used for chatting to other people (use private messaging for that)

On VATSIM ATC usualy work in a top down format which governs who to contact.

DEL (delivery for clearnace)

GND ( Ground for TAXI)

TWR(for runway operations)

APP( For arival and departure)

CTR (control for enroute)

If you are sitting at an airport for departure if delivery is not present you work down the list until youo find

someone that can offer you ATC. Do not worry about it if they cant - they will simply tell you they are not providing cover for

that airport.

So continue on unicom as mentioned earlier - if you come into airspace that is controlled you will get a text

PM to contact that controller.

Remember to Squak a valid code (I use 2200 for IFR and I believe 1200 for VFR) and remember to Squak Mode C when

entering then runway.

I hope this answers your question, but I should as always state that many of the questions that are going

to be buzzing round your head can be answered in the PRC (in the NEW PILOTS START HERE) on the VATSIM home

page.

Again, welcome to vatsim and happy flying.

Best regards Graham Mitchell

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
Remember to Squak a valid code (I use 2200 for IFR and I believe 1200 for VFR) and remember to Squak Mode C when

entering then runway.

C'mon Graham, you know it's Squawk 7000 for VFR in the UK

Paul - we've got a Vatsim-UK New Pilots Night on November 6th where we just clear an airfield and provide time and help just for New Pilots. Us New Pilot Mentors run them and they're done purely to help people like you get going, no pressure, no h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]le and a chance to make all the ****-ups you want with no grief. For info join up with the Vatsim-UK website forum where any day now the details and instructions for the New Pilots Night will be posted. You'll also find much more UK focussed help and advice available on that site than you'll find here.

http://www.vatsim-uk.org/

See you in the skies!

Bill Casey

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Bill,

Just testing to see if you'd notice my deliberate mistake

Regards Graham

Paul White 1008065
Posted
Posted

Thanks Graham & Bill!!

As usual with the sim community, help is not far away!

How do I go about joining the mentor session on 6th Nov? I would love to take part if I am not dragged away by my dear wife for the day

many thanks for the info and I'll certainly give it another go over this coming w/end

best regards

Paul

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Oh, don't worry about the wife since now you're a Vatsimmer she won't be around for much longer as the addiction takes hold. They say Vatsim is free but they don't count the cost of the divorces in that figure

To join the New Pilots Night on Nov 6th you need to check the Vatsim-UK forum for the details, they havn't been posted just yet but the link below will show you the details for the October one (they're held first Tuesday of every month). Note that the November one will not be at the airfield in this link, I think Nov is at Southend. This link will however give you the details for the Vatsim-UK Teamspeak server which you need to join up with before the night and the general prep work you need to do before the NPN. Any quessies bung 'em here or in the Pilot Training section of the Vatsim-UK website forum.

http://www.vatsim-uk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10350

Oh, and say goodbye to the wife

Bill Casey

Paul White 1008065
Posted
Posted

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that....wife sends her regards

Anyway......I've downloaded the Teamspeak2 software so am raring to go when the time comes.

Hopefully I'll be available to do the NPN.....coming dear!!

all the best

Paul

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Good stuff Have you sent the required e-mail to get your Vatsim-UK Teamspeak account sorted out? That's the bit that's difficult to achieve on the night so well worth getting that sorted and tested well in advance.

Bill Casey

Paul White 1008065
Posted
Posted

How do I go about sending a required email. Nothing about that in the download

Paul

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

http://www.vatsim-uk.org/index.php?page=teamspeak

That should answer that question, just follow the isntructions and that should get you set up with an account.

Hope to see you at the NPN.

Craig

another one of the Pilot mentors

craigworkman.png

Paul White 1008065
Posted
Posted

Hi Craig,

I've downloaded both the Teamspeak 2 options (Client and Server), but which do I need?

When I click the "Client" desktop icon a box comes up with Connection in the top left corner, then the instructions sre to do various things under a "Label" tab, but there is no label tab anywhere in that window.

The "Server "option does nothing except put an icon in the toolbar and right clicking on it gioves amongst other things a list of IP servers under "your IP'S"

I'm afraid I'm a bit lost

Paul

Paul White 1008065
Posted
Posted

Oh dear, I have a further problem!

When I click on the link to send an email to get the Login and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, Outlook does not recognise the address in the link (teamspeak[at]Vatsim.co.uk) so I am unable to get the info.

All very frustrating, but knowing me, I'm probably doing something completely daft

Paul

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

the client should be the one but unsure better get clarification of that and if you try changing the [at] bit to @ i think that is a mod thing so these spambots cant get the e-mail properly or soemthing.

so if you e-mail it to [email protected] it should work.

Hope that helps

Craig

craigworkman.png

Paul White 1008065
Posted
Posted

Hi Craig,

Any ideas how long it takes to get the login and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word for Teamspeak?

I emailed yesterday and so far zilch

Paul

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

Only a few people are able to acess and activate it so shouldn't take too long but depends when and who is about.

Craig

craigworkman.png

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

All the accounts got sorted today , If you have not had it sorted by now then please re email

Martin Leat