You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Display of staffed airspaces

Martin Georg 811874

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hello gents,

I have some difficulties setting up an ESE file correctly. The following situation is given:

The ESE file contains a correct definition for my center sector, covering the whole country. Now there is an APP sector residing completely inside the center sector. I have set up a correct, closed borderline (sectorline) for that APP sector. Both sectors are also defined in the SECTOR: subsection. Euroscope starts up without reporting errors.

Now I launch the simulation server to test my ESE file. As long as I am active alone as center without any other positions active, the whole lateral center sector is colored in light grey, as expected.

Now I activate the concering APP sector. The station appears in the controller list, wearing the correct code. The borderline around the APP sector turns red. But here´s now my problem: If I understand Euroscope correctly, the area of the APP sector should NOT be shaded in light grey anymore, to indicate that this area is not longer controlled by me??? With my file, however, the APP sector stays shaded.

What may be the problem here?

And a second question too: Which prerequisites must be met so that the frequency for the next sector appears in a datatag, when the aicraft (controlled by me) comes near the boarder to the next sector? I never get the next frequency displayed, only 122.800 appears.

Thanks very in advance for any hint!

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

1. Isn't your CTR sector covering airspace above the APP sector, so it should be correct that it is shaded in light grey? You're looking down on it, so on top is your airspace, and APP is below.

2. sectors must be defined, owners must be defined by using the ID from the POF-part, and the controller must be online.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

Hi Martin,

Stephan is right, but if you like, I can take a look at your .ese this evening. Just come online at Teamspeak

Oliver.

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted (edited)

Greetings Martin,

I might add regarding point 2, that according to the flight plan Euroscope interpreted (and can plot), and Euroscope vertical path prediction, the aircraft is 3 minutes or less from entering that next defined and active sector. Prior to that you would see the next (defined and active) sector owner code.

1. Isn't your CTR sector covering airspace above the APP sector, so it should be correct that it is shaded in light grey? You're looking down on it, so on top is your airspace, and APP is below.

2. sectors must be defined, owners must be defined by using the ID from the POF-part, and the controller must be online.

Edit: A personal preference note, I find it much more effective to reverse the coloring, such that the active sectors are completely black. Makes resolution and contrast better for controlling.

Edited by Guest

Regards, Opher Ben Peretz

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted
Hello gents,

I have some difficulties setting up an ESE file correctly. The following situation is given:

The ESE file contains a correct definition for my center sector, covering the whole country. Now there is an APP sector residing completely inside the center sector. I have set up a correct, closed borderline (sectorline) for that APP sector. Both sectors are also defined in the SECTOR: subsection. Euroscope starts up without reporting errors.

Now I launch the simulation server to test my ESE file. As long as I am active alone as center without any other positions active, the whole lateral center sector is colored in light grey, as expected.

Now I activate the concering APP sector. The station appears in the controller list, wearing the correct code. The borderline around the APP sector turns red. But here´s now my problem: If I understand Euroscope correctly, the area of the APP sector should NOT be shaded in light grey anymore, to indicate that this area is not longer controlled by me??? With my file, however, the APP sector stays shaded.

What may be the problem here?

And a second question too: Which prerequisites must be met so that the frequency for the next sector appears in a datatag, when the aicraft (controlled by me) comes near the boarder to the next sector? I never get the next frequency displayed, only 122.800 appears.

Thanks very in advance for any hint!

1. Martin, the APP sector or any other will not turn in light grey (as in your color settings), because of the defined upper altitude limit in feet in your ESE file(check ESE file in EuroScope Wiki for more info), if it is lower then the upper limit for your controlled sector. And it is making perfect sense. You are coving the airspace above the APP sector, so you still have colored area above him.

2.In order to see the next controller freq, you should have defined his position in the ESE file, his sector and borderline. So when he comes online, ES will detect him and display all the needed data: freq., sector border, sector color and so on.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Exactly, ES respects also the vertical extension of your and the other airspace. I would like to add that I also made my active airspace completely black and airspace not owned by me becomes light gray. Maybe worth a try.

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hello,

many thanks to all who answered. Had my final "breakthrough" in understanding the ESE file yesterday (special thanks to Oliver Gruetzmann and Bernhard Harb!), and now the rest is mostly "simple work" .

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Small addition: I've seen more than once 122.8 appear even when the next control sector was fully defined and operating. Clicking the frequency somehow helped the right display to appear within seconds, not sure why.

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hello Opher,

Ì experienced exactly the same here. Looks a little bit like ES would loose contact with neighbour ATC for a few seconds - perhaps some kind of a timing problem?

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Opher, Martin,

I am not sure why it happens but think about the following: EuroScope starts from the current plane position then calculates points along the route. The points are exactly one minute distance from each other. And ES does it for every position update. In this every calculation will be different from the previous and in some cases the calculated next controller can be also different. It can happen if along the calculated route there is a small sector or an uncontrolled area. If the route of the AC is less than a minute there, then you have the chance that in one calculation you have a point there but next time no point there. That may indicate different next controller or UNICOM (122. as you found. In both cases the sector setup change may solve this problem.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Ah,

that may be indeed the problem. My "backline" (the line to close a sectorline for a neighbours sector) may make the sector very tiny. OK - I will experiment with larger neighbour sectors.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Servus Gergely et al,

it happened to me on Israel FIR last night. An aircraft descending along an .ese file predefined arrival procedure (No STARS in our country) to LLBG Ben Gurion showed 122.8 on TAG about 15NM before touchdown. At the time I was the only controller, owner of all sectors within the FIR, the borders of all Israel sectors are defined realistically. The narrowest sectors are airports such as LLBG with a CTR of 5NM radius.

I have other unexplained behaviours of sector border highlight, but what bothers me most now is the ATIS soundtrack not heard.

Opher, Martin,

I am not sure why it happens but think about the following: EuroScope starts from the current plane position then calculates points along the route. The points are exactly one minute distance from each other. And ES does it for every position update. In this every calculation will be different from the previous and in some cases the calculated next controller can be also different. It can happen if along the calculated route there is a small sector or an uncontrolled area. If the route of the AC is less than a minute there, then you have the chance that in one calculation you have a point there but next time no point there. That may indicate different next controller or UNICOM (122. as you found. In both cases the sector setup change may solve this problem.

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Opher,

Do you have the last sector to go down to 0 feet? There is no altitude database for all airports behind ES so it is always [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed to go down to 0 feet. If the bottom of you last sector is above that then you have an uncontrolled sector below.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Set to zero as all towers are in my files. It happened yesterday when 2 Cessnas were flying the exact same route 5 miles astern. One had -- as next controller, the other 122.8.

Opher,

Do you have the last sector to go down to 0 feet? There is no altitude database for all airports behind ES so it is always [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed to go down to 0 feet. If the bottom of you last sector is above that then you have an uncontrolled sector below.

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Opher,

Next time you notice similar, please make a log and send me. I will take a look after it.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer