You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Air Traffic Corridor 11/3/07 - Focus Airports?

Peter Allen 873584

Peter Allen 873584
Posted
Posted

The last ATC event was a blast and I did a ton of flying that night (MDW-PHX-LAS-SAN iirc) and I'm already getting ready for tonight's ops. However, the focus airports are still listed as TBA and the start time is about 3 hours away. I'm trying to plan out some routes (following RL schedules), download sceneries as needed, etc but its a bit difficult w/o airports to look at . Anyone know what airports are going to be the focuses tonight?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Bailey 969331

• Ryan Whitford 995253

• Earvie Rollins 971247

• Brian Sperduto 856560

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Bailey 969331

Alex Bailey 969331 15 posts

• Ryan Whitford 995253

Ryan Whitford 995253 12 posts

• Earvie Rollins 971247

Earvie Rollins 971247 6 posts

• Brian Sperduto 856560

Brian Sperduto 856560 4 posts

Popular Days

• Nov 6 2007

34 posts

• Nov 5 2007

19 posts

• Nov 2 2007

7 posts

• Nov 3 2007

6 posts

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Good question.

My answer, who knows? The Director and the Events Director are both MIA, and the division is being run by others who can fill in where needed. Good luck getting a straight answer. My guess is to log in where you see ATC and hope for the best.

I'll make sure your concern and this issue is brought up to the proper person in charge, most likely Craig Merriman. This certainly isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that something will arise about the staff...

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

11/3/2007 is tomorrow night, not tonight

8564.png

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

The event is tonight.

11/2

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Benton Wilmes
Posted
Posted

In my opinion, just use your common sense. What airports would be featured in ZBW airspace? Hmm...about 99% chance of KBOS being one of them so fly in there. How about ZNY? Maybe....KJFK, KLGA, or KEWR. ZDC? Probably both of the airports that serve the Washington area, KIAD and KDCA.

Bottom line, if you don't know what's featured, go into the main airport in the ARTCC. 9 times out of 10 it will be the one featured.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Benton Wilmes

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

this is why i love FNO

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Colin Levy 976130
Posted
Posted

Sorry about the wait guys, we are in the process of updating the calendar and the forum post. Stay tuned! Here are the featured airports though...At this point (in process of getting in touch with certain ARTCCs still)...

ALbany-KALB

Boston-KBOS

Dulles-KIAD

Reagon-KDCA

976130.png

Matt Bromback
Posted
Posted

Just curious...who gets to pick the focus airports?? A meeting between the ARTCCs or VATUSA??

Thanks!!

Matt Bromback

Air Traffic Manager

N[Mod - Happy Thoughts]au FIR

Brian Sperduto 856560
Posted
Posted

The ARTCCs are selected by VATUSA in a way that they all are involved an equal number of times.

The ARTCCs pick their own airports they want involved in the event.

Brian Sperduto

VATSIM Membership Team 1 Lead

[email protected]

Cross the Pond Oceanic Veteran '07, '08, E & W, '09 E & W '10 W

Benton Wilmes
Posted
Posted
Sorry about the wait guys, we are in the process of updating the calendar and the forum post. Stay tuned! Here are the featured airports though...At this point (in process of getting in touch with certain ARTCCs still)...

ALbany-KALB

Boston-KBOS

Dulles-KIAD

Reagon-KDCA

Out of curiosity, ZNY was involved in this event as well right? I see 2 ZBW airports and 2 ZDC airports but 0 ZNY airports. Thought the event was designed to have focus airports in EACH ARTCC involved.

I know the event is over with but just an FYI for whoever chose those airports.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Benton Wilmes

Matthew Jordan 919403
Posted
Posted

Noticed he did say at this point, which implies there could be more in there. I think it's safe to say though that when NY was selected it would either be the NYC airports or PHL.

Gary Millsaps 830104
Posted
Posted

Due to circomestances beyond control, the list was posted at the last minute.

I would like to offer a congrats to all of the participants in last night's Air Traffic Corridor event. Though the information about vZNY's airports did not get posted (KLGA & KPHL - we tried our hardest), it appeared they did not want for traffic.

I hope this this didn't unduly inconvenience anyone.

Sincerely,

Gary Millsaps

VATUSA1

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...

guaranteed."

Ryan Hall 1002527
Posted
Posted

Well, I'm not sure about the whole PHL not want for traffic actually means, but it was 4 hours that I was controlling PHL with 4 total planes. Believe me, I wanted traffic, but for the sheer fact that it kinda seemed snubbed, I chose to fly, and only had another 2 departures after that.

PHL WANTS TRAFFIC...PHL WANTS TRAFFIC

In fact, if you fly into philly, you'll receive 2 vouchers good for a virtual cheesesteak. Or if your already stuffed from your flight, we'll make sure you get the city tour in a beatup '81 faded yellow camaro rs. Bring your own c[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ette tape for added enjoyment.

roflcopter.gif

Aaron Barclay 878822
Posted
Posted

Bring back FNO and make everyone happy

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Plan your own FNO. There are three Fridays open every month.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted
Plan your own FNO. There are three Fridays open every month.

People still don't get it...

Aaron Barclay 878822
Posted
Posted

I dont have to plan my own FNO 1) It's not MY job and 2)It's VATUSA's job to help ARTCC's and if they don't want to do that, apparently there's a bigger problem to be looked at Alex.

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

VATUSA, and especially Karen, has stated multiple times that three Fridays are open and you can easily have them help and advertise. This leaves more to the ARTCCs to decide what events they want to have, and it leaves more dates open for specialized events. We are all tired of hearing people whine and complain, yet they do nothing to help. Plan an event, that is why you have an EC in every ARTCC. They accepted the responsibility of the position, now let them work.

All I can say is to contribute, or don't complain. Too many people think things are handed to them on a silver platter...

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

David Reimer 913748
Posted
Posted
VATUSA, and especially Karen, has stated multiple times that three Fridays are open and you can easily have them help and advertise. This leaves more to the ARTCCs to decide what events they want to have, and it leaves more dates open for specialized events. We are all tired of hearing people whine and complain, yet they do nothing to help. Plan an event, that is why you have an EC in every ARTCC. They accepted the responsibility of the position, now let them work.

All I can say is to contribute, or don't complain. Too many people think things are handed to them on a silver platter...

I have to partly agree, and partly disagree.

If a poll were taken, The majority of the pilots would most likley vote for the old FNO. And since it looks as the event dircetor who made all these changes are MIA or gone (Someone please correct me if this issue has been updated) I think it should go back to the way it was.

How was the traffic turnout for Friday Night by the way? I never went and looked.

signiture.jpg

Brian Sperduto 856560
Posted
Posted
I dont have to plan my own FNO 1) It's not MY job and 2)It's VATUSA's job to help ARTCC's and if they don't want to do that, apparently there's a bigger problem to be looked at Alex.

No one has said they don't want to do that, in fact there was a message sent around just a few days ago to all of the ARTCCs regarding events. To date I received two replies to that message. We are more than willing to help, you just need to take the initiative and ask for it because we have no heard a word from the vast majority of ARTCCs. As Alex said we can't just sit here and do the job of 22 Events Coordinators it just isn't possible. If you guys ask for help we will give it but help isn't doing an EC's job.

Bring back FNO and make everyone happy

I find it very hard to believe that a handful of people represent all of VATSIM.

Brian Sperduto

[email protected]

Brian Sperduto 856560
Posted
Posted

If a poll were taken, The majority of the pilots would most likley vote for the old FNO.

This is just personal opinion, or are there some facts to back this up?

Brian Sperduto

[email protected]

David Reimer 913748
Posted
Posted

If a poll were taken, The majority of the pilots would most likley vote for the old FNO.

This is just personal opinion, or are there some facts to back this up?

Not a problem.

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=22621

Also there was a very interesting post from American Virtual Airlines where the former event director (founder of FNO when it started off at AvA, Then was renamed and moved to VATUSA, Where he became the event director) Pretty much called this new event a very bad idea.

This may also have something to do with the rather considerable amount of decline in controlling in VATUSA Ive noticed. Its such a same to of gotten rid of such a new event, to find out the person who did the changes is MIA.

signiture.jpg

Aaron Barclay 878822
Posted
Posted

take a poll and find out brian.

Alex, Don't tell me to do something about it. If I could I would. Do I have that right to do something about it? Last time I checked my title was training administrator NOT events director for VATUSA.

Since you say everyone's complaining, usually good management listens. BRING BACK THE OLD FNO.....there's, that's me doing something about it! I voiced my opinion now have a nice day mr. bailey

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Believe me, the MIA status of certain individuals in VATUSA is well noticed, and is being taken care of.

The argument here, is that people complain and do nothing about it. We have a new event that you should support, as well as three Fridays every month to hold an FNO if you please. Do it. I haven't received a single email asking me to staff up my ARTCC for an FNO-style event. Contact the ARTCC and get it rolling. Or sit and complain, but we just won't listen.

My title is ATM, does that stop me from doing events? Your title TA, I wouldn't just focus all on training. You know your EC, get an event going. Right?

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Aaron Barclay 878822
Posted
Posted

I dont know how to use the quote feature mr. bailey but I love your "just do as told" attitude. "We have a new event that you should support."

Let's just tuck our tails in and not stand up for what the network wants......Good to have you leading miami.