You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC Runway Labels?

John Cierpial 1008209

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, I'm just dipping my toes into the ATC water. I just sent to ZNY my practice clearances for EWR (pray you will see me on EWR_DEL soon! )

Meanwhile, I have been playing around with VRC in observer mode and trying to get a handle on most of the functions of the program. However, when I loaded the sector file for EWR, i noticed that everything was there but the runways weren't labeled (4L, 22R etc.) Is there any way to turn on these labels?

And any tips you guys may have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day and I hope to soon be giving clearances to some of you

-Joe

CTP Planning Team Member

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Joe,

While it may seem helpful now, I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you that within 1-2 hours of working live traffic at EWR you will not need runway labels. Always have an airport diagram on hand so you can give taxi instructions, but the runways themselves will jump up into your memory faster than you might think.

Tim Krajcar

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

As Tim said, you will not need them, you will memorize the taxiways, runways, etc. But I guess you could use em as a beginner. Some sectors do not have taxi/runway numbers, while other do. It's just they way people design them.

Joshua Black

Greg Calderin
Posted
Posted

Trust me, Newark is a relatively easy airport to control since its a bit farther from LGA and JFK which are huge pains, you will never need those runway labels in about 1 day of controlling.

Bryan Richards
Posted
Posted

Hi, heres a tip a fellow ATC gave me, you dont really have to memorize the taxiway labels, just go to View and check Static Text, that should turn on the letters for the taxiways, but the runway labels are unavailable

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted
Hi, heres a tip a fellow ATC gave me, you dont really have to memorize the taxiway labels, just go to View and check Static Text, that should turn on the letters for the taxiways, but the runway labels are unavailable

Bryan,

That tip working depends on the taxiway labels being defined in the sector file - that may not be the case in the file Joe's trying to use.

Tim Krajcar

Bryan Richards
Posted
Posted

oh ok, i never knew that

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

Ya, some sectors have that option while others dont. If they dont, just print up an airport chart

Joshua Black