You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Scenery installation for dummies

Ron Priever 819415

Ron Priever 819415
Posted
Posted

Greetings all,

To protect the innocent, I won't tell you who this dummy is, but I have a....er...."friend" who can't figure out how to install a scenery update that reflacts the new KORD runways (10/28 and 9R/27). "He" loads it according to the instructions, but nothing happpens and the same default scenery shows up. Can someone please explain, in simple terms, how to install it. and I will tell this to my "friend". Also, any suggestions on which specific file to use (from AVSIM or whichever site provides these files) will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ron....and his.....um..."friend"

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted
Greetings all,

To protect the innocent, I won't tell you who this dummy is, but I have a....er...."friend" who can't figure out how to install a scenery update that reflacts the new KORD runways (10/28 and 9R/27). "He" loads it according to the instructions, but nothing happpens and the same default scenery shows up. Can someone please explain, in simple terms, how to install it. and I will tell this to my "friend". Also, any suggestions on which specific file to use (from AVSIM or whichever site provides these files) will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ron....and his.....um..."friend"

I need to know who this friend is before we can proceed, the information is very um, sensitive.

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.

Jason Baker 1028693
Posted
Posted

Scenery files can have different methods of installations.

Depending on what "he" does it may be only necessary to click a button and install the scenery.

AFCAD's, Scenery & Texture and possibly Effects can demand installation "by hand".

If he follows the instructions for installation and it does not work - he is either misplacing the files, not reading the instructions right and/ or not following the appropriate steps to activate and implement these changes in FS.

Maybe he is also using a different version of FS, and the installation is entirely "unrecognised" by the file structure?

From what I gather in your post he's trying to replace a AFCAD?

They say I have ADD. But, they dont understand... Ohh, look!!! A chicken!

Ron Priever 819415
Posted
Posted

Guys,

OK....the man in the mirror is getting self conscious

As an example, I (yes....it was me....lol) downloaded from AVSIM a file created by Christian Brettrager. Here's the "read me" file":

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Simply place the included file in your Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and you are done. This updates your runway 27L-9R to 28-10. Also changes old rnwy 18-36 to taxiway GG.

Author

Christian Brettrager

[email protected]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did exactly as he said, restarted FS9, got the msg at startup that new scenery files were being built, but then it still shows the old runway scenery. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Ron

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

You may want to go into the Scenery Library in FS and ensure it's present, enabled and selected at a higher priority than the default scenery for that area.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ron Priever 819415
Posted
Posted

Luke,

I just checked to make sure the above file is where it should be. It's in FS9/Add-on scenery/scenery. In that scenery folder, in addition to the AF_KORD.bgl file, I also see afcad files for a few other airports (DEN/IAH/LAS/MSP). I then started FS9, went to the "settings" area, and clicked on "scenery area" and then "add area". The FS9 directory pops up, and I double clicked on "add on scenery", then double clicked on "scenery". After I do that, there's nothing left to do. There are no files in the scenery folder to add, in fact the "select scenery area" is blank at that point. How can this be if I checked thru "my computer" to verify that there were indeed some afcad files in there? This is where I'm getting confused.

Ingo Harders
Posted
Posted

Ron,

I believe Luke meant to start flightsim. Go into scenery library, add the scenery that you just placed into the 'add-on" folder of flightsim. Then check-mark it.(activate it).

After that you have to close the flightsim first and re-start, before it will show up.

Regards

N405HT

Ron Priever 819415
Posted
Posted

Grrrr.....still doesnt work. When I click on the "add area" button, I'm getting what looks like a menu with all the FS9 items (just like when you look at files on your computer). I can click on ADD- ON SCENERY, which beings me several items in that folder (scenery, texture, DEN, CYYZ2007, etc) I added those other files (Denver and Toronto) a while back, and they work fine. When I double click on SCENERY which is where I placed the KORD afcad, nothing happens. There's no list of files in that folder, therefore there's nothing that can be added to the "scenery area" list. But I know there are files in there, because when I look at the FS9 files by going to MY COMPUTER/LOCAL DISK C/PROGRAM FILES, etc, all the files are in there.

I'm getting frustrated.

Ron Priever 819415
Posted
Posted

and yes....I've tried closing FS and restarting it. That doesnt work either.

Jason Baker 1028693
Posted
Posted

Ron - would it be possible to send this file - or post a link where to get it?

Maybe someone could walk through this with you.

Ron Priever 819415
Posted
Posted

Jason,

The file can be found at Avsim.com....just put "Christian Brettrager" in the search area. Only that one file in question will come up.

It should be noted that in the ZAU ARTCC forum (page 2..."New Ohare Afcad") this file is also discussed, and at least 1 other person successfully loaded it.

Jason Baker 1028693
Posted
Posted

Okay - here is a KORD AFCAD for FS9 I was referred to.

Download [afcads2007.zip] There are 110+ AFCADS in this zip, show them as list and select AF2_KORD. I would do this one only, so you do not interfere with any other AFCADS you may have installed.

If AF2_KORD is in there I'd rename it as copy/ backup rather than overwriting with a unknown file.

The one you have may be the better compilation, I don't know.

Now select AF2_KORD to be copied into your FS9 Addon Scenery folder. Fire up FS9, check Addon Scenery on top. Shut down FS9, I usually reboot my computer after installing scenery to clear all caches.

If AF2_KORD is in there I'd rename it as copy/ backup rather than overwriting with a unknown file.

Also this AFCAD addresses the GG TW looking from South to North starting at 09L/27R, intersecting Taxiway P, Cross 14L/32R further 04L/22R. The writer has failed to delete Intersecting Runway Designators (18/36) and the taxiway has no designator himself. Since this is the only Taxiway without designation - and RWY18/36 has been replaced with it - I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it's the right one.

Ron Priever 819415
Posted
Posted

Still no luck. At this point, I have no idea why it's not working. I've created a "print screen" file of what's in my FS9/add- on scenery/scenery folder. My e-mail address is [email protected]. If you want, you could e-mail me with your address and I could send the JPEG file to you.

thanks,

Ron

Jason Baker 1028693
Posted
Posted

Hi Ron -

if you installed the AFCAD according to it's instructions and it does not work - I am at wits end too.

The next thing for me would be to contact the author of the AFCAD and ask him for [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

The only logical other thing is checking the settings in your FS to make certain it is using and allowing Addon Scenery.

Again if other files work and just this one doe not... ?? Not a clue...

I found the above mentioned AFCAD to work - and even though with the flaw of not designating the Taxiway GG it works.

Since I do not fly in this area by choice - someone who does would be better to accommodate you.

Good Luck!