You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

LAS Winter Fly-in Spectacular! [11/30]

Bryan Wollenberg 810243

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

That's right, it's almost here ladies and gentlemen. Only 10 days left until the FNO-style LAS fly-in! ZLA will be fully-staffed for your flying enjoyment. Come out and give us a workout.

vegas.jpg

With cold weather begining to engulf much of the country, and having stuffed ourselves with Thanksgiving turkey the previous week, what better way to spend a Friday evening than a nice, relaxing flight to warm and sunny Las Vegas?

With 75 degree average November temperatures, and dozens of ZLA controllers at the ready, pick your favorite plane and fly into or out of LAS, the world's 5th busiest airport. Or try your hand at some GA action in the LAS Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Bravo airspace or at other popular, local airports like HND, 61B, or VGT.

We look forward to seeing you in the friendly ZLA skies.

1700-2200 PST Friday (0100-0600Z Saturday)

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Sweet! One of my favorite airports, one of my favorite ARTCCs ... I am SO there!

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted

Someone post good excuses to tell your girlfriend/wife as to why you don't want to see her for 3 hours. I'm using up my free night next week with poker already!!! Grrr

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Any chance LSV will be staffed?

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Ron Priever 819415
Posted
Posted

Rey,

Why not just do like Ralph Kramden and tell (not explain, TELL) your wife that you are "the king of the castle, and she is nothing but a peasant".

If you get hit on the head with a frying pan, don't come looking for me.

Ron

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted
Any chance LSV will be staffed?

Center should be providing services into Nellis. I'll see what I can do about getting Nellis Tower staffed too.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Posted
Posted
Center should be providing services into Nellis. I'll see what I can do about getting Nellis Tower staffed too.

That would be cool! We're hoping to have a few ATA guys coming in. I know I will be there!

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted
Rey,

Why not just do like Ralph Kramden and tell (not explain, TELL) your wife that you are "the king of the castle, and she is nothing but a peasant".

If you get hit on the head with a frying pan, don't come looking for me.

Ron

Didn't work, I surrendered my night of poker and have to take her to the lightning ceremony at the plaza. Then I have my day of freedom!

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Rey, from all of us at ZLA, I extend our deepest condolences for having to attend such a thing. Looking forward to seeing you on Friday though!!

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted
Rey, from all of us at ZLA, I extend our deepest condolences for having to attend such a thing. Looking forward to seeing you on Friday though!!

Yep, well I can't miss an event at ZLA, so whatever it takes!

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

This is today! Looking forward to seeing everybody there.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Matt Bromback
Posted
Posted

Sounds great!! hopefully I will be able to make it, the good thing about this event is its nice and late for us east coast guys!!!

Have fun tonight everybody

Matt Bromback

Air Traffic Manager

N[Mod - Happy Thoughts]au FIR

Aaron Barclay 878822
Posted
Posted

Excuses?=Marriage is grand, Divorce is 20 Grand

Why are divorces so expensive? Cuz they're worth it

Marriage is the chief cause of divorce

Alright they're not excuses but I tried.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Looking forward to the event tonight ... the only question is, do I fly my new Aeroworx King Air (which I'm not yet very familiar with) or one of the other aircraft in my hangar that I am familiar with. See you in the ZLA skies tonight folks!

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

I should think it's best to leave the checkrides for calm days, and fly what you know best for the busy events.

8564.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I should think it's best to leave the checkrides for calm days, and fly what you know best for the busy events.

I've done two full flights in the King Air, and I'm familiar enough with it that I can do a flight without disrupting ATC or other traffic. Whether or not I will fly the aircraft with correct procedures (approach speeds, flap retraction schedule, etc.) is another question ... I need to spend more time with the POH. I've only done the quick start guide and tutorial flight so far.

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

I've done two full flights in the King Air, and I'm familiar enough with it that I can do a flight without disrupting ATC or other traffic. Whether or not I will fly the aircraft with correct procedures (approach speeds, flap retraction schedule, etc.) is another question ... I need to spend more time with the POH. I've only done the quick start guide and tutorial flight so far.

Well, you're the best person to judge when you are ready to fly the aircraft for "real" (that is, online with traffic).

I have a 767-300ER sitting unused because I haven't had time to learn it in detail and I'm not going to fly it for real (online) until I can figure out how it works. It's hard to stay current with the aircraft I already fly. Right now I know the 747-400 well and the Baron 58 as well, but I'm rusty on the 737-800 and the Bonanza. As for the 767-300ER, I can hardly figure out how to start the engines.

8564.png

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Okay, now I feel stupid. All this talk of warm weather and clear skies in the event info, and the one day we decide to hold an event, it's freezing and raining. Forecast for today is rain, with a high of 49. Same goes for Socal. hehe.

Don't forget your raincoats tonight!

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Charles Farley
Posted
Posted

I'm so sad I missed the ZLA Las Vegas fly inn. I sat at work observing the traffic wishing I was in the skies. Looks like SWA had a good turn out of pilots. Nice job on the event. Hopefully I can be involved the next time around. For now, I'll stay in a holding pattern awaiting my chance.

3151.png

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Thanks to everyone who came out tonight! That was incredible. We saw some great levels of traffic throughout ZLA, particularly at Vegas. A special thanks to our neighbors ZOA, ZDC, and ZAB for providing some top-notch adjacent center magic for us, and thanks to many of the VA's who made ZLA their home tonight. Nellis AFB saw a lot of AMT flights, DAL held a fly-in simultaneously to LAX, and SWA and COA were all out in full-force.

Thanks again to everyone who flew and controlled. That was a blast!!

Bryan

P.S. Oh yeah...if you all want, we can do it again on the 28th of Dec., only this time, the fun will be concentrated at LAX, and the other LA basin airports. Mark your calendars.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

Cool screenshots. I tried to look at a scope before signing off for the night but I couldn't figure out how to adjust it to see all the traffic.

Anyway, this was a very fun event. I only managed to get in two flights but they were great flights. And personally I think the bad weather just made it more fun. In the Great American Southwest, you get tired of "sunny and hot" every single day of the year, and a heavy rainstorm is like a holiday.

I also noticed that there didn't seem to be any "problem children" in the skies last night, or at least none in airspace near me. Some pilots sounded a bit hesitant about what to do, but they did as they were told once they understood. I didn't notice any Concordes flying supersonic down the strip, or F-99 Intruders popping out of hyperspace and strafing the terminal buildings, or anything like that. At least during my flights it didn't sound like controllers were having to spend undue amounts of time with any bad pilots, which is just as well because the skies were absolutely chock full of aircraft. One of those rare occasions when I could actually see other aircraft on the TCAS, although it was too cloudy to see them visually. I saw lots on the ground, though.

I wish events like this could happen all the time.

8564.png

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

That was pretty amazing. EXCELLENT pilots (I only counted 3 problem pilots, which is staggering for the number of aircraft).

The LAS arrival rate per hour during the event was 21, 20, 30, and 21. That's pretty exciting when using a single arriving runway with 200ft ceilings! There were long stretches of time with continuous 2.5-3 mile spacing on the localizer, a real workout for a non real-world approach controller, and probably equally interesting for the pilots.

Fantastic event, I hope we can do it again with better weather when we can double the arrival rate!

Keith

Posted
Posted

Outstanding event, guys!! It seemed like clockwork from my end, every controller knew who to hand-off to, everybody had a plan of action. Thanks for the GREAT work that made it that much fun!!

-AMT4325 (SEA-LSV) / AMT7255 (LSV-LAS) / AMT7051 (LAS-PDX)

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

Great JOB!

Bryan: Best Center controlling I have ever seen. Wow.

Keith: I would be surprised if someone told me you are NOT a real-world controller. You dealt with some tough situations VERY well.

Also, tower made me feel so warm on such a cold day That was Gary H. I believe.

And thanks to EVERYONE else that controlled. I was amazingly surprised that everyone sounded like r/w controllers!!!!

Take care,

JM