You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The SAG is coming to down under - Australian ATC: Scramble!

Andre Koch 852831

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

As you may or may not know, a large number of pilots of the VACC-SAG (Switzerland, Austria, Germany) are currently on a trip around the world to spread love, happiness and friendship. Or something. So far we have flown the first two legs, taking us from the SAG-area to Almaty UAAA and then Kuala Lumpur WMKK. Check out this thread and this one as well to see some pics and to get some more information.

So now our next leg will take us to beautiful Australia. To the great city of Perth, to be precise. There is no set date for that trip yet, but it will probably be in about two weeks. We usually fly during the weekends, since that is the best time for our longhaul trips and also it gives ATC all over the world the possibility to give us (much appreciated) service. We aim to arrive at our destinations in the neighborhood of 21-22 UTC.

In order to be as prepared as we can be, I would like to ask you guys to fill us in on whatever there is we need to know about Australian airspace and procedures. Any good tips, websites to check out or training and reading material will be greatly appreciated by the SAG pilots. Oh, and if you guys could staff your airspace for us, that would be really sweet too!

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

VACCSAG-Banner-300x65.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andre Koch 852831

• Norman Blackburn

• Michael Krause 810881

• Terrence Scanlan

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andre Koch 852831

Andre Koch 852831 20 posts

• Norman Blackburn

Norman Blackburn 14 posts

• Michael Krause 810881

Michael Krause 810881 8 posts

• Terrence Scanlan

Terrence Scanlan 3 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 11 2005

7 posts

• Mar 23 2005

5 posts

• Jun 10 2005

4 posts

• Jun 11 2005

4 posts

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Andre,

Make sure and check out our website www.vatpac.org - it has all the info you need.

A full collection of charts (also linked from VATPAC) covering all the airfields in Australia is available here

Airspace is RVSM

Updated Servinfo definitions for Australian airspace can be obtained here

Make sure and post here with plenty of notice and I will do my best to make sure you guys are welcomed into Oz airspace.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Awesome, thanks a lot Norman! I linked to this thread in our forum so everyone can check out those links you provided. By the way, the date has been set now, it will be April 10th.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Andre,

Bearing in mind that most Australian controllers are 9 or 10 hours ahead of CET would the 8th or 9th be options? You will still get ATC I am sure, just more chance of varied ATC over the weekend.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Hi Norman,

good point, the 8th or 9th would indeed be better for you. I am not the one organizing this trip however, so all I can do is ask the responsible person. That would be Michael Krause, who also participates in these forums. I´ll ask him to come in here.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Michael Krause 810881
Posted
Posted

Hi Norman!

Thanks for the quick reply and the info!!

We are well aware of the time and day problem but somehow can't find a really good solution for it. The days for the flights are fixed on Saturdays and Sundays so everybody has the chance to take part (on Fridays most normal workers would have a problem with the departure time). Then there are real life meetings on the 2nd (EDDM) and 9th (EDDS) which would cut the pilot numbers about in half. The only change of date I can think of is the 16th of April but with the new clients there is a large "risk" that there will be a huge event on this day in Europe/SAG...

So all in all not a real solution to it but maybe we can delay our departure a bit so that we will reach Perth about 45 to 60 minutes later resulting in an ETA for the first pilots of about 0500 lcl time...

We'd be glad to get ATC but as you see we have the problems in mind and we won't be disappointed if not. The following leg will take us from Perth to Auckland (about 2-3 weeks later) so this should be then at a better time for you (at least the departure time at YPPH).

Greets!

Micha

signatur_400_80_nuemo.gif

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Guys,

With so many variables its probably best to run with what you usually do and if possible we will endeavour for ATC. You will have me doing enroute at worst.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Michael Krause 810881
Posted
Posted

Yeah, looks like the best option for me as well.

We have two different routings for the trip but they join eachother at IDOKU:

Singapore-Jakarta-Route: SAPAT A457 VJR G579 SJ B469 DONGA.NORTY3

Christmas-Islands-Route: RUMID B335 PKU G337 XMX G209 IDOKU B469 DONGA.NORTY3

leg3karte.jpg

Greets

Micha

signatur_400_80_nuemo.gif

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Norman, can you recommend a scenery for Perth? Unfortunately I wasn´t able to find one on the vatpac.org site. I do have one installed right now made by Claude Schmidt, and while it looks stunning it also unfortunately brings my fps down to 4 to 5. Are there any alternatives?

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Andre,

Perth International can be found by clicking the image below.

perthairport_2004_dennisstiglmayer27.jpg

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Downloading it as we speak. Cheers!

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Joerg Dolgner
Posted
Posted

Hey Norman!

Before downloading just one question: Is that scenery compatible with FS2002? Or can you give me a link to another FS2002-compatible scenery of YPPH?

Thanks,

Joerg

So long,

Joerg

MQT66J ~~~ DLH6514 ~~~ D [C|E|F|G|H|I] JDO

?id=edll,vatoic&vid=881387

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
www.virtualvfr.com - search down. I am sure there is a 2002 version.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Joerg, it is perfectly compatible with FS2002, I checked it.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Joerg Dolgner
Posted
Posted

Norman, Andre,

thank you for your help!

I almost have forgotten this thread because I wasn't at home the weekend, in the next few days I will download and install it to be prepared for the next sunday!

cheers

So long,

Joerg

MQT66J ~~~ DLH6514 ~~~ D [C|E|F|G|H|I] JDO

?id=edll,vatoic&vid=881387

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Gents,

just a word of warning..

If an old codger using the name "Scanno" or "black dog" approaches you whilst in Australia, please have no contact with him and report the incident to the authorities.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Uhh.... oookay.... I´ll make sure to turn off my position lights and strobes. Better to be on the safe side I guess...

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Terrence Scanlan
Posted
Posted

Ha, I am the authority so if you see me, AKA Black Dog or Scanno, contact me and I will deal with me

Terry

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Only five days to go... I´m starting to get excited again.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Sooo.... are you guys (or is it "mates"? ) ready? The SAG is in the middle of the preflight preparations.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Lets take a look, see where you guys are!

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted

Norman, on behalf of the SAG I would like to thank you for the services you provided yesterday. It was really appreciated by the pilots, and you are being praised in our internal forums right now. At times you were a little hard to understand, but that added to the experience, since communication in the real world is not the best over the oceans as well.

The use of SELCAL and the interesting position reports made for a welcoming change even for experienced long-haul pilots. Especially the unique position reports, which were not what an experienced atlantic-hopper is used to, gave some pilots a few problems at first. You probably noticed though...

I just hope you didn´t get into too much trouble with your wife and kids last night, we were a bit worried about it to be honest.

Anyway... I will upload some pictures later today, so stay tuned.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Boy was I getting abuse from them. You guys arrived right in the middle of our late dinner.

Yes, our position reports in the south atlantic are NOT the same as you get doing for example the Atlantic (I know since I guest on Shanwick on many occ[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ions)

I didnt get back on until most were well into Perth, by which time it was probably best to leave things as were. I know a controller from Brisbane logged on just as you were all quit.

Next week, wife et all have been warned

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted
Next week, wife et all have been warned

Hehe... we are trying to figure out a date for our flight ou of Perth right now... Looks like it´ll be in either two or in three weeks.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Let us know. I am just abusing VATPAC1 now to make sure we can get a full service for you guys next time. Where is the next leg to?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg