You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

X-Plane 9 BETA Released!

Brian Ratledge 962606

Brian Ratledge 962606
Posted
Posted

ZLA Director of Pilot Relations

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Downloading the demo now. I'm going to order the DVDs when the x-plane.org store has them, so that x-plane.org gets a cut to help them keep running.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Mark Steele 953544
Posted
Posted

Pre-orders are available at the .ORG now - just ordered mine - will be shipping after November 30, 2007

FYI - I highly recommend anyone loading the demo to do a 'fresh' install - not an upgrade - if you have the space available.

While the upgrade appears to leave your 8.64 (or current version) intact, the older scenery in the 820 Default Scenery folders cause X-Plane to crash.

87.png

61.png

cax_sig.gif

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Order Complete.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Brian Ratledge 962606
Posted
Posted

I got mine ordered today from .org.

ZLA Director of Pilot Relations

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

Wow, that actually looks pretty good. Now they just need to get avionics on par with MSFS, and I'll switch.

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

Just tried the demo, and I gotta say, I'm not as impressed as I was hoping I'd be. It looks OK, but it's nothing spectacular. The controls welt WAY too responsive, not to mention the number of times the thing locked-up on me.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
The controls welt WAY too responsive

The controls are extremely configurable. Correctly setting the Null Zone, Center, and linear responses of the controls can result in a perfect configuration. You also need to calibrate your joystick using the internal settings by going through each axis' full range of motion. In 8.6 this could be accomplished while the application is loading up. Going with the app out of the box always results in it being too responsive.

not to mention the number of times the thing locked-up on me

Not sure why this is happening. Probably has to do with a combination of your system specs and the XPlane rendering settings. I have not downloaded the new beta so I'm not sure what has changed. I recommend you spend some time checking out posts in both this forum - and searching the ZLA forums (http://www.laartcc.org/zla) for posts about configuring rendering settings. The ones posted by Keith Smith are extremely informative.

Most people who open XP for the first time don't like it at all. It takes a little getting used to and some time to configure things just the way you like them. Once you reach that point - you may enjoy it much more. This is hard to do with a 10 minute demo however.

Ian Elchitz

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted
Order Complete.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted
Wow, that actually looks pretty good. Now they just need to get avionics on par with MSFS, and I'll switch.

The avionics in X-Plane are actually more like the real world ones. It just lacks the FMS type toys.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

The avionics in X-Plane are actually more like the real world ones. It just lacks the FMS type toys.

How do you figure that?

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

Hop in a C172 in the real world. Track to a VOR and let me know what happens when you cross over the station. Now do the same thing in X-plane and tell me what it does. Now do it in MSFS and watch the autopilot chase the needle for 20 minutes. That will answer your question. Same thing when you get out of station range, the needle bounces all over the place just like it does in the real world.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

I don't fly 172's (Actually I do, occasionally. I don't like them, though.), and nothing I fly has an autopilot that's anything more than eye candy, so I can't take you up on the first part.

Anyway, I don't know what your flying, but that doesn't happen to me. (In flightsim, that is.) And thanks to RXP, all of my VOR's, ADF's, etc., act like I would expect their real world counterparts to.

I wasn't talking about that anyway. By "get avionics on par with MSFS", I meant, "They need to get more stuff." Yeah, it functions fine, but there is so much more variety in MSFS.

Andrew Turnbull 992265
Posted
Posted

I have been a x-plane fan for a long while now. X-Plane 9 Beta 2 is good with new water textures, global scenery 9, not much change with A/P tho...?! But as you know it A Beta more will follow later on during development. I have ordered my own copy should get to mine by December. I have tryed X-plane 9 on VATSIM and it connects pretty well and was able to commuicate to pilots and ATC.

I find X-Plane a great SIM to learn how to fly. Im taking my first flying lesson next year and its a great tool. Lately a few more airlines are interested in X-Plane for training. The flight models are out of this world. And it FAA approved. I agree with the statement "The avionics in X-Plane are actually more like the real world ones" My flight instructor agrees to.

From Scott Johnston post "They need to get more stuff." Yeah, it functions fine, but there is so much more variety in MSFS."

Answer: MSFS has lot to offer for the game but.... there is alot for x-plane too. Im joined with www.X-Plane.org and www.xplanefreeware.net. There have been new scenery and Aircraft developments. There are 1000s. Feel free to check the sites out.

Kind Regards

System: X-Plane 8.64 with Global Scenery 8

Brian Wilber 831268
Posted
Posted

I wasn't talking about that anyway. By "get avionics on par with MSFS", I meant, "They need to get more stuff." Yeah, it functions fine, but there is so much more variety in MSFS.

What good are all the nice toys in MSFS if they don't work acurately, or the whole sim crashes to the desktop three times on a two-hour flight? Please don't tell me I don't know how to set up FS to work right, I have a good deal of experience with computers and software. I know how to set it up; it's just that FS will only work with Windoze (of course,) and Windoze is the most unstable OS known to man.

New%20Banner.jpg

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

Brian, you can't have everything, now can ya? You just have to make due with what you have.

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

That's the thing, they do work accurately. Trust me, I'm a stickler for realism, I wouldn't use the stuff that I use if it wasn't relatively realistic.

I haven't had FS crash on me in months. (Knock on wood.)

Andrew Turnbull 992265
Posted
Posted (edited)

LOL "That's the thing, they do work accurately. Trust me, I'm a stickler for realism, I wouldn't use the stuff that I use if it wasn't relatively realistic."

My flight instrutor advise me to use X-Plane as i said in my other post. X-Plane has a realistic flight model. Being a Simulator! it simulates the behavoiur of Aircaft as it would in the real world. The FAA approval to train pilots towards their COMMERCIAL CERTIFICATE, INSTRUMENT RATING, and AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT CERTIFICATE. This training is done in a full-motion simulator, using X-Plane as the simulator software! The Link: http://x-plane.com/FTD.html

But if you like MSFS that all well and good. My mates have FSX and Love it. I like x-plane.

Kind Regards

Edited by Guest

System: X-Plane 8.64 with Global Scenery 8

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty happy with MSFS, but thanks.

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

Yeah, it functions fine, but there is so much more variety in MSFS.

Agreed 100%

I was more talking about how smooth the actual instrument needles move, etc.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

I loved MSFS for years. I love x-plane now. Both simulators have their strong and weak points- let's not turn this into an Airbus vs. Boeing thread.

You can take away my X-Plane when you rip it out of cold dead hands - however I'd trade my soul for my PMDG737 or LevelD767 to work in X-Plane.

Ian Elchitz

Seth Laws 1023369
Posted
Posted

LOL!

That's how I feel about x-plane. Though I do have a question. Why did it skip 8.7-8.99?!?!?!?!? It seems weird.

3.png

Without dreams, life ceases to entertain.

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

There's no meaning to jumping "straight" from 8.64 to 9. Some companies prefer to put their beta code in the current series of numbering, some in the next. It's just numbering and doesn't mean anything.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

Normally a Jump from 8x to 9x means a Major update. Typically.

Brian Wilber 831268
Posted
Posted
Brian, you can't have everything, now can ya? You just have to make due with what you have.

Sure I can. But some of what I have, I found after I got it, I didn't really want it. MSFS is not quite in that category, but close. Just kidding. FS is OK, but I do have issues with it locking up sometimes, usually on final after a very long flight. I have never had a crash of any kind with X-Plane running on Linux.

I had a problem once with the Windoze based version, but I only had about five programs running besides X-Plane so I attribute it to that. That's the beauty of Linux, I have had as many as thirteen programs open at once on it with zero stability issues.

New%20Banner.jpg