You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ITS FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abel Tuinei 937769

Abel Tuinei 937769
Posted
Posted

DECEMBER 15th,2007 is the Date that has been chosen for Cross the Pacific 2007. Please keep checking the VATUSA page for time details coming soon!! (most likely will be an all day event due to flight times). Please tell your friends

Instructor3/pilot

TA

HCF

Francisco Obregon 1004310
Posted
Posted (edited)

Down for editing!

Enjoy!

Edited by Guest

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Looks good!

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Looks good, however "PAFICIC" spelling error on the banner is quite humorous... I do like it though!

AJ

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

And the repeated error plus one more that's almost a watermark on the bottom too:

Yes The Paficic (sic)

Not The Carribean (sic)

Pacific. Caribbean. I'm curious, personally, why that statement on the bottom there anyway? Anyway... just trying to help the otherwise great banner look more professional. Otherwise, a nice looking image.

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Sounds like fun guys - have you contacted the events people yet for all of the facilities listed?

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Posted
Posted

lol, i was told to try and make it humorous ... and i used the font from pirates of the carribean so yeah, ill change that and fix the error.. woops, i was working on it, and i changed something with the letters

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

Why did you have to make it during exams? New Years eve would be a great time for this.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Elliot Lezam 895373
Posted
Posted
Why did you have to make it during exams? New Years eve would be a great time for this.

That would interfere with WINTER BREAK. Many of us are gonna be getting some tans

Abel Tuinei 937769
Posted
Posted

Well apparently people have different exam dates because the thusday before the 15th is my last day... sorry about that.

Ian as for your reply yes we are coordinating with all the ARTCC's involved.

Instructor3/pilot

TA

HCF

Posted
Posted

Here we go:

ctpsed2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Abel Tuinei 937769
Posted
Posted

I am also very excited and pleased to announce that our friends down in VATSIM New Zealand will also be supporting us for Cross the Pacific this year! Thanks to Jeff Smith and all the others that helped coordiante in the South Pacific!

Instructor3/pilot

TA

HCF

Posted
Posted
vatmm8.jpg

Mark McCoy 823112
Posted
Posted
I am also very excited and pleased to announce that our friends down in VATSIM New Zealand will also be supporting us for Cross the Pacific this year! Thanks to Jeff Smith and all the others that helped coordiante in the South Pacific!

Wow, that sounds like fun too. Hmm, might be time to break out the ole' 747SP!

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

Just over 12hrs to go...

Controllers have feelings too...

Trace Lewis 970532
Posted
Posted

So HNL is up @ 2130Z, is there any idea for when the oceanic controllers will be on? Or should I just plan to arrive at HNL just after 2130?

This is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that the oceainc FSS will be on before HNL to cover the people coming into HNL. Or, does the whole thing start at 2130? Meaning that I should plan to be entering the oakland oceanic around then for an early arrival?

Sorry for the questions, I just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thanks, really looking forward to this one

I will either be AAL73 ORD-HNL, or HAL1 LAX-HNL, depeding on whether or not I get up for the 8AM local departure for the 8 hour flight from O'Hare

So, most likely ill be on the LAX-HNL route.

PPL-G/ASEL

"My" MySpace

userbar501318zo7.gif

2610.png

Posted
Posted

Oakland Oceanic will be staffed by about 4 or controllers, unsure. zak.vatusa.net should tell you what time they will staff up. As for Honolulu, we are staffing it up at 2100Z

Trace Lewis 970532
Posted
Posted

Ok, cool thanks.

Also noticed that there is nothing about this in the Events forum, and am actually happy that I just ran across here this evening, maybe someone should put up a quick notice on the Events Forum to generate a little more traffic?

Maybe even on the VATSIM homepage.

Can't wait!

PPL-G/ASEL

"My" MySpace

userbar501318zo7.gif

2610.png

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

ZAK should be staffed before 1800Z(1000PST). I'll be going online in about an hour.

Posted
Posted
Ok, cool thanks.

Also noticed that there is nothing about this in the Events forum, and am actually happy that I just ran across here this evening, maybe someone should put up a quick notice on the Events Forum to generate a little more traffic?

Maybe even on the VATSIM homepage.

Can't wait!

it should had being, not sure what happened..

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

Posted
Posted

Hey Trace, i actually saw you around there hehe.

Well its well finished now, and im still on with a few late arrivals, after everyone left me .

Had fun controlling center with a bunch of guys that were together.

Thanks everyone for flying will post some pics later and a little report .

Mike Cassel 849958
Posted
Posted

I just wanted to extend my personal gratitude to all the pilots that flew in my sky tonight. I was running the West side of ZAK on R576-R578 for most of the day, and I have to say that on the whole the quality of pilots was exceptional. I hadn't controlled an Oceanic Position in years, and it was certainly interesting to get another crack at it under heavier traffic.

Although I thought I would be indulging a masochistic tendency by turning off all the targets and blips, given what p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es for piloting so often around here, everyone seemed to get where they were going safely without me "seeing" any of you. It was certainly a very cool experience to be plotting your separation without a radar, but merely a spreadsheet and your word as pilots. I can see why the real ZAK people must love having the new ADS-C stuff that has put an end to the non-radar days in real life, but for one day, it was a lot of fun. Thanks for letting me get a once in a year experience in such a different form of control.

Still, if anything, this also demonstrated the need once again to have some way to get a central source of winds aloft for VATSIM. No two pilots seemed to have the same winds; even at the same altitude, I had traffic that was .05 mach "faster" than succeeding traffic and still getting a slower groundspeed. Using time is a pretty draconian restriction if the faster traffic is behind, and although I had some altitudes to play around with, nearly all my traffic was between FL340 and 360, so squeezing in one critical altitude change wasn't easy. Please, if anyone on the BOG or with other influence reads this, finding some way to take care of this would be a wonderful change.

Lastly, but certainly not least, thanks to Alex Stjepanovic for giving me a perfectly separated stream all night, and for taking care of the sometimes messy OC situation out of LAX. Although I wasn't involved with that aspect, I was (literally) sitting next to the guy who was, and his frustration could only have approximated yours. It is hard to imagine what goes on behind the scenes to make that work; I know his poor brain must have been fried by the end of the event. Also, to Jeff Smith, for relieving me after close to 7 hours even though he had been on just as long; how much longer he stayed on and how his brain made it intact are a mystery to me.

Fun Event Folks, Lets do this again sometime!

Mike C[Mod - Happy Thoughts]el

ZLA I1/ZAK for a day guy

CS13_Sig_E.jpg

Posted
Posted

You betcha it was fun. Even thought I didn't control Center for the event, i controlled before and after for about 30 planes. Believe me, I can't think how much Don and the guys had to deal with at HNL. I got tired with just them and about 20 of them before the event, amazing.

Thanks to all the pilots who helped me with that seperation towards the ending, that took alot out of me, just like 1 hour trying to seperate all the Delta guys so approach could have a easier time, as i got them within 5 mins of each other from Oceanic *ouch*.

Thanks to James Hull, United 061, who helped me alot , and i had to talk to him alot due to coming in to joint he line of the deltas and understood quite well my position. All the other guys who i tried to stay on for a bit who understood how tired i was and were being cool with me, Even Dr.Podd from L.A.

Thanks again, and can't wait till next year! CTP 08!

Some Pics at

http://www.joseobregon.com/CTP/

Of the end.

And yes, I left after 6 hours of the event , and about 25 planes were still inbound.

Kudos to Donald Gebhart for getting all those planes down.

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

Now that I have caught some air, I can write my report too

It all started off pretty slow, and at one point I think Mike and Tom Solon were nearly falling asleep. Then pretty much all of a sudden, a tonne of pilots just turned up and it more or less stayed that way till the end. It got so busy with OCs at one point, that we had to resectorize and re-delegate controller load.

As Mike pointed out, the fact that pilots had different winds, made separation a living hell. At one point I had a pilot complaining to me about his TCAS going off, even though he was sequenced 15 mins behind the guy in front....just cause his tailwind was much higher. So a common source of weather, and especially for events like these, would be unbelievably invaluable.

Mike played a major role in keeping the seperation for most of the crossing, and he carried it out perfectly. He's summed up the evening pretty well, so I'll just use this opportunity instead to thank to the brilliant work of ZLA controllers, without whom, the work for us ZAK guys(And for my sector especially), would have been a nightmare...and the event would have pretty much been in a big mess. They all did a fantastic job, but the biggest thanks goes out to Tom Solon on LAX_DEL and Peter Grey on LAX_AE_CTR, who carried out the burden of OCs and separation. Of course a huge credit goes to Scott Mulhollan on LAX_TWR, Eugene Zaporozhets on LAX_APP and Shawn Goldsworthy on LAX_CTR for playing a large role in sequencing the departures out of LA.

Except for a few semi-server-splits and one pilot having to be removed by a SUP so he could connect back and talk to us...and for the problem with weather, it all went pretty well.

Jeff did an outstanding job on his sectors too....and I hope he was alright after Mike and I logged out

Jeff if you are still alive, respond to this