You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Aircraft Choice

Chris Miller 1031386

Chris Miller 1031386
Posted
Posted

In recent days, I've figured out how to connect to the VATSIM network and have spent a few hours parked, listening and learning.. That's easy enough (and WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!). My NUBIE question is this: In my X-Plane (Version 8.6) Squawkbox, I've only got one plane available to me - a B737. While this is fine, I would like to fly other planes. Is there a central location where I might find aircraft to be used in this virtual world? I downloaded a B737 from xplane.org and that's great, but I would like to fly other aircraft "approved" by VATSIM.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Chris Miller

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Chris,

Any plane you can load up in Xplane, you can fly on VATSIM. If it's the first time you've opened up that plane, you'll need to tell Xsquawkbox what ICAO code you'd like to use while connected to VATSIM. On subsequent attempts to connect, it will remember the code you used for that plane.

Example, if you open the Cessna 172 and attempt to connect for the first time, it might still use the B733 ICAO code (meaning everyone will think you're in a 737-300, not a 172). You can either type the ICAO code in directly (if you know it), or you can enter the aircraft manufacturer and model, and as you type each letter, the dropdown list of planes will be filtered with matching results. So, as you type "Cessna", the list will shorten to only include Cessna aircraft.

It's important to get the ICAO code right so that you will show up correctly to ATC and other aircraft.

Keith

Chris Miller 1031386
Posted
Posted

Keith,

Thank you very much.. I've been flying X-Plane for years, but I'm new to VATSIM and I would never have figured that out by myself. It's the down side of teaching myself aeronatical basics.

The Cessna Citation-X is my preferred plane.. I've been flying it solid for about 6 months now. I really enjoy its performance.

Chris Miller

• 4 weeks later...
Reece Hunter
Posted
Posted

Chris,

In case you are still looking for links to aircraft in general, go to the XPlane website (www.x-plane.com) and click on the link on the left pane to X-World: Links & Lists. In addition , you can also try www.avsim.com (rapidly deteriorating XPlane-related submissions, in my personal experience).

Welcome to VATSIM!

RH

Reece Hunter

vACC Philippines Chief

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Chris,

I don't have my X-plane system here to give detailed instructions, but essentially what you're seeing is the defaults in Xsquakbox.

You simply need to override them in the text field and the popup menus will adjust.

For example, in aircraft type, simply type in B200 for a King Air B200 or C172 for Cessna 172, etc.

If a field isn't appropriate, just delete the default entry.