You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

RAM increasing Frames.

Matthew Brown 960601

Matthew Brown 960601
Posted
Posted

Hello all.

I have installed Flight simulator 2004 on my Laptop (Dell inspiron 1520).

I have 1024mb of memory at the moment, with a 128 graphics card.

Im considering Upgrading to 4GB of RAM, Any ideas on by how much (or if) this will increase FPS?

Cheers

sig.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Im considering Upgrading to 4GB of RAM, Any ideas on by how much (or if) this will increase FPS?

If you're not RAM-limited, then little to none.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Matthew Brown 960601
Posted
Posted

Ram limited?

sig.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Ram limited?

If you're running out of available physical memory, and swapping. On my 1GB box I never ran into that, even with VB6, Eclipse and FS9 open, but your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Matthew Brown 960601
Posted
Posted

I i understand you correctly, Im not actually running out of memory, I think about 80% is used, I Thought upgrading would help.

Thanks

sig.jpg

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

My guess is that the FS software adapt to how mush RAM are available, i.e. if you have 2G it will load more data into RAM and then quicker change views etc.

The RAM will likely not increase the FPS in general, but may make it quicker to change viewpoints (to exlude lot of required harddisk accesses).

As well it is much matter what addon software are installed. Some take lot of RAM to create VC cockpit or big databases and RAM above 1G may make difference.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Matthew Brown 960601
Posted
Posted
My guess is that the FS software adapt to how mush RAM are available, i.e. if you have 2G it will load more data into RAM and then quicker change views etc.

The RAM will likely not increase the FPS in general, but may make it quicker to change viewpoints (to exlude lot of required harddisk accesses).

As well it is much matter what addon software are installed. Some take lot of RAM to create VC cockpit or big databases and RAM above 1G may make difference.

Thanks, think i'll still upgrade for performance in general, not just fsim

sig.jpg

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Keep in mind that without a hack, XP will not address more than 2GB of RAM per process. Of course, the other RAM can go for other processes, including addons that spawn a separate process (like ActiveSky). and others.

The hack info: http://www.gehrytechnologies.com/catia/catia/catia_windows_large_memory.htm

Tim Krajcar

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted

Your abilities are increased with more RAM, however overall frames might diminish. This is because each 'part' of the RAM needs to be checked to handle the operation, which takes time.

Critics: This is what I was taught by a certified Microsoft IT Academy instructor. The things I have learned from him have gotten me to first in the state and sixth in the nation for Business Professionals of America.

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Your abilities are increased with more RAM, however overall frames might diminish. This is because each 'part' of the RAM needs to be checked to handle the operation, which takes time.

???

Elliot Lezam 895373
Posted
Posted

RAM prob wont make much of a difference for you. You most likely wont even be able to up the performance on your laptop at all. Unless you can remove your graphics card, which very few laptops can do.

Mark McCoy 823112
Posted
Posted

As much as I hate to admit it, Elliot's probably right. At best, maybe 2-3 FPS but that's stretching it. If you can find a copy, there's an older program out there still floating around called EnditAll -- and it was freeware for a while -- which will strategically kill unneeded processes hogging resources. I snagged a copy of this a long time ago when it was freeware and have kept it, and used it, since.

As laptops usually run a bunch of extra nonsensical garbage in the background, it might be an idea to explore killing unnecessary processes and experimenting with the results. BE CAREFUL doing this, as killing a system-required resource is likely to make your system unstable. Don't kill it unless you are absolutely sure of what that particular process does.

Dominic Russell 866138
Posted
Posted

i use end it all it really helps when i run fs it's hard to fine the origninal thought because and it all 2 is not free. If anyone needs the original freeware one i can forward it for you.

Dom

19.png

Matthew Brown 960601
Posted
Posted
Keep in mind that without a hack, XP will not address more than 2GB of RAM per process.

Vista

sig.jpg

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Vista with only 1GB of RAM? You're a brave soul.

Tim Krajcar

Matthew Brown 960601
Posted
Posted
Vista with only 1GB of RAM? You're a brave soul.

Haha, more the reason to upgrade, lol

sig.jpg