You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

new graphics card

Ryan Guffey 956726

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I just bought the BFG 8600GTS OC. I installed the drivers that came with the card. When I went to turn up the Anitalising and Antiscopic filtering, all the jaggies are still there. So I thought it may be the driver. So I installed the latest driver but still, all the jagged edges are there. I dont know what to do.

VATSIM Supervisor

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

my frames are actually worse than they where before. At Cloud9 LAX i was getting 28 or so with my 6800GS overclocked. Now with the 8600GTS im getting 22..

VATSIM Supervisor

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Have you tried using nHancer? If not download and read the manual,

this program should help you with your problem.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

no not yet, ill try that thanks.. Im also going to go back a couple driver versions

VATSIM Supervisor

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

i get an error says it cant install with .NET framework less than 2.0?

VATSIM Supervisor

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Check version of .net Framework in your system if 1.1 or none download .Net Framework 2 and install.

Reboot and try again all should be Ok this time.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

I can tell you from experience that there seems to be a problem with nVidia's driver profiles for certain apps (such as FS9 and FSX) which are built into its control panel. Basically, these profiles lock the Anti-aliasing to "EnhanceOnly" . This results in AA being unavailable within FS9 and FSX. This has been the case for most of the driver revisions that have been released in the last 6-8 months.

The fix that worked for me was to use the nHancer program (you do need the .Net Framework 2 for nHancer to work). Here is a link to a post from an nVidia forum by a flight simmer that explains how to override nVidia's driver profiles and get back AA in FS9 and FSX:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=38921&st=60

This procedure did work for me and many others. Give it a try (nHancer backs up all nVidia profiles automatically so it's OK to experiment). I hope it helps.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

paul westcott
Posted
Posted

EDIT ; disregard

newironmic.jpg

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

thx guys!

VATSIM Supervisor

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

I just would like to add one more thing concerning nHancer.

On the latest nHnacer manual it states:

Supersampling (Not for GeForce 8x00 and later cards). Manual now suggests that MUltisampling be used instead.

Also they way I solved the antialias problem was by following the instruction also in the manual to do as follows:

Multisampling: On @ 8xQ

Enhance in-game AA setting: On

Gamma correction: On

Super Transparency AA; On

AF: 16x

Vertical Sync: On

Now the final thing to do is to ensure Antialias is on, inside the simulator, yes you heard right, despite all posts

recommending the oppossite. I no longer have antialias issues and all surfaces are as smooth as they can possibly be,

and haven't had a single CTD since.

For your info I am still using FS9 and my graphics card is an 8800GT 512Mb.

Trust this helps.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

• 3 weeks later...
Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

Ok, I took back the old card and just got an XFX 8600GT. Anyone up for a step by step on how to fix the problem. I did what the forum said to do, but no luck. Still jaggies out the wazzu. I have skype, just PM me plez.. Thx.

VATSIM Supervisor

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Supersampling (Not for GeForce 8x00 and later cards). Manual now suggests that MUltisampling be used instead.

Also they way I solved the antialias problem was by following the instruction also in the manual to do as follows:

Now the final thing to do is to ensure Antialias is on, inside the simulator, yes you heard right, despite all posts

recommending the oppossite. I no longer have antialias issues and all surfaces are as smooth as they can possibly be,

Trust this helps.

Regards

Not to thread hijack, but I have two quick questions for you..

First, what resolution are you using for FS9?

Last, What FPS are you getting at that resolution?

I just got this card installed and am just starting to get it set up and going. As I was targeting 20FPs with a 4 year old card before, with this beast, I'm wondering what I should expect, and as you're running it, you're my guinea pig!

So, inquiring minds want to know, Joaquin.. How good's the goods getting you!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm an idiot, never mind.

Edited by Guest

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

Based on my experience with nvidia cards. I'm an 8500GT user. Vertical sync (vsync) is a KILLER! I found my frame rates doubled in both FSX and X-Plane with Vsync turned off. Give it a try!

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Hello Brad

Sorry for the delay in replying.

<

Running WinxP & FS9 at 1920x1200x32 on an LG 24"

<

Depends. Flying above clouds on any of the PMDG. Level-D, PSS aircraft frames are very high, 40s & 50s

Flying in thick cloud or overcast (using ActiveSky6 and clouds therein) upper 20s and mid 30s

At some airports like Simflyers and others frames drop to low 20s.

Noticed that using the "enhance in game AA" option in enhancer and enabling it also on FS9 actually

increased frame rates. Will have to test it in other scenarios/combinations wthin FS9 to see if this applies

across the board. Had to ensure Vsync was on, was getting bow wash otherwise.

For your info I'm using Nvidia drivers 6.14.11.6909 - Overall very satisfied and frames rate problems are

a thing of the past. Noticed more colour and solidity on sim 3D objects which has increased my enjoyment.

No overclocking whatsoever on the system or the card.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

Scott, I did figure out the problem. We ran a bois on the CPU. Failed 3 out of 4 tests. Stressed the thing and the CPU temp went into the 60's and crashed. Overheating, so I bought a new copper heatsink and Fan. Hopefully if it works great, I may be able to overlock it to 2.3 or 2.4 from 2.2 We will see. I just want to get my GCard working now.

VATSIM Supervisor

Charles Farley
Posted
Posted
Based on my experience with nvidia cards. I'm an 8500GT user. Vertical sync (vsync) is a KILLER! I found my frame rates doubled in both FSX and X-Plane with Vsync turned off. Give it a try!

What visual difference did FS and XPlane have with the vertical sync disabled?

3151.png

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

Vertical Sync limits your frames to the same amount as your monitors refresh rate. Vertical sync is used to reduce "tearing" or "Shreadding" which is a predominate horizontal distortion. Why it happens i have no idea

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Ryan

Are you runing an 8800 or is it definitely a 8600 card

most of the comments in this thread re nhancer etc are for the 8800 series of cards.

even so you should have no problem regarding jaggies.

try this

1) make sure the game resolution and monitor res are the same

2) AA on in the card software and off in the game

3) make sure you download the correct drivers, your probabaly better off getting the Unified Drivers

4) in the nVidia properties set for quality not performance

Joaquin Blanco 860975 wrote:

Trust this helps.

Regards

What Joaquin has written here is perfectly correct but once again this is for the 8800 series of cards only so vsync does work if youhave an 8800.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted
Ryan

Are you runing an 8800 or is it definitely a 8600 card

most of the comments in this thread re nhancer etc are for the 8800 series of cards.

even so you should have no problem regarding jaggies.

try this

1) make sure the game resolution and monitor res are the same

2) AA on in the card software and off in the game

3) make sure you download the correct drivers, your probabaly better off getting the Unified Drivers

4) in the nVidia properties set for quality not performance

Joaquin Blanco 860975 wrote:

Trust this helps.

Regards

What Joaquin has written here is perfectly correct but once again this is for the 8800 series of cards only so vsync does work if youhave an 8800.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Yep, I got the XFX8600GT 512MB. 540Mzh core clock I think. I also got a new completly copper HeatSink with Fan. Im stoked to get it home. So are you saying with the 8600GT I wont have to use Nhancer? I though that was a driver problem. And if it is, which driver do you suggest using that I can get around it. And what is a "unified driver". Never heard of it. Plus I hope to get the comp back tonight, I have to control tonight for the event.. hehehe Im stoked for that too.

VATSIM Supervisor

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

ahhh got the comp back. The 8600GT works like a charm. Just stick on AA and AS, and FS works perfectly.

VATSIM Supervisor

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

one more question. Whats up with loosing almost 10 FPS with SB? anyway to fix that? The Driver I have installed is kinda odd now too. Anyone have a good suggestion? I cant even have AA at 4X without having the black line

VATSIM Supervisor

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

aight, im getting ticked now. I updated to a new driver. The 169 I think. I did EXACTLY what that forum said. I even dupilcated the profile one time since you cant delete profiles after the 163 driver. Still, all the edges are jagged. I read that entire thread and couldnt get anything they said to work for me.

XFX 8600GT 512MB

VATSIM Supervisor

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

ok, i think i may have found a driver that may work.. 158.22. I can get AA all the way up, and there is not one jaggie. But frames are the [Mod - lovely stuff] with 12-15. I am aiming to get around 30 constant, and could settle for 22 or so. So I decided to drop the AA to 4X. Still frames are the [Mod - lovely stuff] shoot. I decided to try that FPS booster I found. Doesnt work that well for me. And now I cant seem to find the defualt autogen XML file.. ahhhh just not the best day.

VATSIM Supervisor