You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

setup for usa flying

David Howell 1037923

David Howell 1037923
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

How do I setup the necessary radios and atc for the US? All my connections are green but I cannot connect to atc or do a actual radio test. My base is KSAT, San Antonio, TX. I've tunned com1 to ksat gnd but I see no controllers or hear or see any text traffic for KSAT.

Thanks,

Dave Howell

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

Since controllers on VATSIM are real people, they are not always on 24/7. Both FSInn and Squawkbox have "Controller" or "ATC" Lists when you're connected. Look on those lists to see what ATC are online.

Go to the link provided by Jonathan to read about what positions there are, and what callsigns ATC use. As a specific: KSAT is within the Houston ARTCC. Their website is located at:

http://www.zhuartcc.com/

You can find more information about flying in their airspace. You would want to look for a HOU_CTR and ask him who to contact for operation.

Steve Ogrodowski

David Howell 1037923
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Went to the web site; a Houston Approach Controller is up, Jordan Jafferjee, HOU_APP; but no Com1 number is listed; remember I haven't yet setup my radio's for USA use, so no controllers come up in the ATC window. I still need this info to identify controllers, they and traffic came up when I setup for the Australia ATC...???

Thanks,

DaveHowell

Glenn Blanco 852844
Posted
Posted

David,

What do you mean "setting up for USA controllers"? AFAIK, both Australia ATC and USA ATC comms work the same way in VATSIM. As long as there is a controller, you tune to their frequency and SB3 or FSInn should set up/join the voice room for you automatically. I don't think there is any special set up for regional use. If the controller has no primary frequency, you can bring it to their attention through chat.

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the info. Went to the web site; a Houston Approach Controller is up, Jordan Jafferjee, HOU_APP; but no Com1 number is listed; remember I haven't yet setup my radio's for USA use, so no controllers come up in the ATC window. I still need this info to identify controllers, they and traffic came up when I setup for the Australia ATC...???

I'm also confused by what you mean? All radios on VATSIM are the same...all you have to do is tune your COM1 frequency in Flight Simulator/XPlane. When you are connected and see the controller, it should definitely list a COM frequency. You just tune to that frequency. If you see frequency 199.998, then the controller hasn't set his frequency yet, and you have to wait for him to set up his frequency.

It doesn't matter whether you are in Europe or the USA or Australia: If you tune 124.250, you will transmit/receive on 124.250. And if there is a voice channel attached to the frequency by a controller, you will automatically be connected to the voice channel. Further, text-based transmissions are range limited. If you are in Australia on 124.250, you won't see any text messages from a controller or pilot who is in the USA on 124.250.

Voice channels are not range limited, and each controller has to have a unique voice channel to operate voice. So while text transmissions are attached to each frequency and limited by range, there are no voice channels attached to any frequencies. A controller could name his voice channel "Sweet_Home_Alabama" if he wanted to, but pilots would still be connected to it once they tune his frequency.

Incidentally...I don't know what would happen if two nearby controllers set up the same frequency with different voice channels. IE, Let's say CHI_CTR sets 128.800 as his primary frequency and sets up a voice room, and CHI_APP sets 128.800 as his primary frequency but sets up a different voice channel. What does a pilot client located at KORD do when the pilot tunes 128.800? Does it not log into any voice server?

Steve Ogrodowski

David Howell 1037923
Posted
Posted

Hey Steve, Thanks!!

Your info has been a big help. For Aus you have to bring up the Vatsim network under Networks under Settings and enter some info that I thought had to be accomplished to fly in the US also. I have been monitoring the Houston ARTCC for a controller to come up so I can do a radio test with him. Before when Jordan, the Houston controller was up, he did not show in the ATC window. I never could bring him up. Is my setup incorrect? I will keep looking at the Houston center and if I see anyone up I will go to the Inn ATC window to see if he/she will come up and if I can contact him/her.

Thanks Loads,

Dave Howell

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted
Your info has been a big help. For Aus you have to bring up the Vatsim network under Networks under Settings and enter some info that I thought had to be accomplished to fly in the US also. I have been monitoring the Houston ARTCC for a controller to come up so I can do a radio test with him. Before when Jordan, the Houston controller was up, he did not show in the ATC window. I never could bring him up. Is my setup incorrect? I will keep looking at the Houston center and if I see anyone up I will go to the Inn ATC window to see if he/she will come up and if I can contact him/her.

Let's get more details here. Are you using FSInn or Squawkbox 3? Are you using Flight Simulator or Xplane? If Flight Simulator, what version: FSX, FS9, or FS2002?

To get connected to VATSIM, you first need to have your simulator set up at the airport. You need to be positioned at KSAT, for example (at a gate or parking, not on the runway).

You then have to run your Pilot Client, and connect to VATSIM. Your CID and P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word are always the same to connect to VATSIM; you don't have different log in credentials for different countries. It does not matter what server you connect to, they all communicate with each other; you can connect to any server. Wherever your Flight Simulator location is, you will be at on the VATSIM network. So once you are connected, and you're located at KSAT, you should have no problem seeing HOU_APP. Now, if your Flight Simulator is set up at Brisbane airport, you will not be able to see HOU_APP...HOU_APP is centered around his airspace in Houston. In Brisbane, you will see the Brisbane controllers.

Steve Ogrodowski

Darryl Roach 988606
Posted
Posted
So once you are connected, and you're located at KSAT, you should have no problem seeing HOU_APP.

Not entirely true. His location and controller list will also depend on what the controller's visibility center is set to as well. For HOU_APP, KSAT is actually past the outer edge of that controller's general range, so I would doubt he'd see/be in radio range of HOU_APP on the ground at KSAT. If he sees HOU_APP online next time, he should pick an airport a little closer (within 150nm - KAUS actually would fall in this range), maybe even KHOU or KIAH (where the controller's visibility will be set).

Anyway Dave, as a ZHU controller I had to respond to this. Most of our controllers tend to be online in the evenings anywhere from 7pm - 10pm Central weeknights, so that's probably your best bet to find us on a regular day. Also feel free to visit our website and find out when our next events are, as there will be controllers there for sure. I believe in Australia that would be 7am-ish in the morning, the time difference is a stretch. We do have a few controllers whom pop on throughout the day as well (including me), and weekends you'll find us on randomly. But as I said, our most popular time is 7-10pm local.

http://www.zhuartcc.com

Darryl Roach

0[/url]

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted
Not entirely true. His location and controller list will also depend on what the controller's visibility center is set to as well. For HOU_APP, KSAT is actually past the outer edge of that controller's general range, so I would doubt he'd see/be in radio range of HOU_APP on the ground at KSAT. If he sees HOU_APP online next time, he should pick an airport a little closer (within 150nm - KAUS actually would fall in this range), maybe even KHOU or KIAH (where the controller's visibility will be set).

Roger on that, I thought KSAT was within the APP airspace...but obviously if it isn't, then yeah...

Steve Ogrodowski

David Howell 1037923
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great info. On ground at KSAT I was, yesterday, only able to get one controller, CTR, where he did [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist with setting up my mike and I was able to listen to his traffic. I guess I can station myself and fly out of Houston, TX not KSAT, and perhaps pick up more controllers. Well back to the drawing board to change my first flight preplan. I will let you all know how it goes...

Thanks Loads,

DaveH

• 4 weeks later...
Kyle Gibson 937127
Posted
Posted

David,

Most of the time we do staff up our primary airports-KIAH and KHOU. Once and a while, especially during events in the area, we'll staff up SAT. If you're interested in becoming a controller at vZHU just contact me or some staff to get going and get to the point where you can control SAT. Good luck, and I'll see you online!

David Howell 1037923
Posted
Posted

I have signed up to train as an artcc controller for ATC. I am listed on the personnel roster but I have yet to receive an E mail letting me know how to get started and to start training. Since I am retired Air Force C-130H aircrew member I am familiar with lots of comm info. I was an aircrew guy for 20+ years. My ATC position was upgraded to S2 when I registered. Any way any info you can give me to get started and eventually I will be able to handle the SAT area since my hours are very very flexable being retired and all. I applied at Houston as Houston controlls SAT and I look forward to working with all of the zHOU staff.

Thanks Loads

Dave Howell

1037923 S2

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM David. I'm sure one of the Houston training staff will love to get in contact with you shortly.

And thank you for your service!