You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Confirmation of RVSM flight levels over GMMM airspace

Juan Del Olmo 857991

Juan Del Olmo 857991
Posted
Posted

I never had any doubt in my mind about the RVSM flight levels applicable in Europe (including Morocco in this particular

case) until today when a controller in GMMM_CTR instructs me to change my current Flight level from FL380 to FL390.

I was cruising in an A330-200 (RVSM equipped) inside GMMM FIR at FL380 heading 200º on a LFPG-GUCY flight.

According to VATEUD-TD the RVSM flight levels for the sector 180-359º (the one I was flying) are 140,160,180,200,...340,360,380,400,430 etc... but not FL390 in any case which is a 000-179º RVSM flight level.The controller was

arguing that I was flying southbound and must go up to FL390 in RVSM, in total contradiction to the VATEUD-TD and other

sources that I have consulted.

My question is, has been modified the 180-359º rule and I missed it? or is Morocco airspace an exception to the rule? or

simply my controller was absent minded?

Would appreciate the Forum clarification about this point

Juan

Daniel Gustin 940540
Posted
Posted

Hi Juan,

I'm not sure about this however I can shed some light on this issue.

From my experience (not a whole lot), there are exceptions to this rule and Italy is a prime example. In Italy, they do not base their flight levels on West/East but rather North/South. I get pilots change altitudes at the Italy/Croatia border all the time because of this exception.

Maybe GMMM is an area similar to Italy where the FLs are on North/South.

As for RVSM, there is a page on the ICAO website that'll show you all RVSM cert'd airspaces. Keep in mind that not everything is updated on the Vateud-TD website. I'm sure that someone will come along with this website.

Cheers,

Daniel Gustin

VATEUD3 -Training Director Pilots

eud_logo.png

Come on kids! The more forum posts you have, the better!

Daniel Gomes
Posted
Posted
In Italy, they do not base their flight levels on West/East but rather North/South.

Hello,

Not only Italy. Portugal, Spain and France will also base their flight-levels on a North/South basis as you can see

HERE for the Portuguese case.

Cheers,

Daniel Gomes

Juan Del Olmo 857991
Posted
Posted

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your reply and information.I know that in some countries the north/south rule is applicable instead of the standard east/west.This is in effect in Spain and I believe in France as well and like you said also in Italy but I didnt hear about Morocco.

I will have a look at the ICAO website to try and find an explanation since I dont like to have an argument every time I overfly that FIR under ATC coverage.

Rgds

Juan del Olmo

Daniel Gomes
Posted
Posted

Hello Juan,

Take a look HERE

You will find what you need.....

Cheers,

Daniel Gomes

Juan Del Olmo 857991
Posted
Posted

hello Daniel,

I think this link covers all the information I was looking for.As soos as I get back home I will look into it.

Again thank you very much Daniel ,you solved my problem.

Best rgds

Juan

Daniel Gustin 940540
Posted
Posted

That is just a tad bit confusing.....

Daniel Gustin

VATEUD3 -Training Director Pilots

eud_logo.png

Come on kids! The more forum posts you have, the better!

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

RVSM flight levels for Central Africa are different as well:

DIRECTION

Reduced Vertical Seperation Minima (RVSM)

NO RVSM ABOVE FL310

East to West 180-359 Degrees FL100, FL120, FL140, FL160, FL180, FL200, FL220, FL240, FL260, FL280, FL300 FL350, FL390, FL430

West to East 000-179 Degrees FL110, FL130, FL150, FL170, FL190, FL210, FL230, FL, 250, FL270, FL290 FL330, FL370, FL410

Regards.

Tom

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Juan Del Olmo 857991
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information Tom.I think it is a good idea to gather all these data to avoid

last minute searches at different places and save time when making a flight plan or considering

a particular route.I dont know whether the major flight planners have been programmed to take

account of all these exceptions.

Rgds

Juan

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the information Tom.I think it is a good idea to gather all these data to avoid

last minute searches at different places and save time when making a flight plan or considering

a particular route.

No problem I plan my routes with the FL of my departure airport. If a Center changes my FL enroute, I gladly comply without argument while in "his/her" airspace and then resume filed FL when I get out of the airspace if it complys with ICAO standards until I meet the next controller.

Cheers

Tom

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

• 2 months later...
Richard Ronhovde 1001599
Posted
Posted

Worth Mantioning is that Above RVSM 2000 FT Seperations Applay.

EAST: FL450, FL490, FL530,

WEST: FL430, FL470, FL510,

I'm From PARIS, FRANCE ... were are you from ?

• 6 months later...