You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Rigging a real VHF Mic to a computer?

Diego Vasquez

Diego Vasquez
Posted
Posted

Hello everybody.

My daughter literally ate my Microphone, and I was thinking that instead of going out and buying just another headset, I thought that I could rig an old VHF Radio Microphone to work with my computer, maybe even getting the PTT key bound to work inside the FSInn voice client.

Has anybody done anything like this? Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Elliot Lezam 895373
Posted
Posted

Yeah, that has been done before. You have to rig a ptt button to act as a keyboard stroke. I think there are plug adapters on ebay too.

Zachary Beard
Posted
Posted
Hello everybody.

My daughter literally ate my Microphone, and I was thinking that instead of going out and buying just another headset, I thought that I could rig an old VHF Radio Microphone to work with my computer, maybe even getting the PTT key bound to work inside the FSInn voice client.

Has anybody done anything like this? Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Wouldn't that be fun, sitting there with your David Clark headset clamped on.

P.S. Hope your daughter is okay.

Diego Vasquez
Posted
Posted
Yeah, that has been done before. You have to rig a ptt button to act as a keyboard stroke. I think there are plug adapters on ebay too.

I just checked at ebay, I couldn't find much.

Do you remember seeing it on any forum, maybe a hint?

• 2 weeks later...
Diego Vasquez
Posted
Posted

Not exactly a full headset since I am used to listening on the full-size computer speakers. I was thinking more like a HAM Radio style Microphone with PTT button.

Something like MFJ-297.jpg or maybe CHPRangrMic.jpg

Francis Shepherd 980238
Posted
Posted

Wouldn't that be fun, sitting there with your David Clark headset clamped on.

P.S. Hope your daughter is okay.

I had a headset failure a couple of days ago and had to use my headset (with an adaptor)... believe me it gets uncomfortable, although noises of small children demolishing 3-course meals of audio equipment are lost to me... which by the sounds of things is fairly useful

generate.php?mid=1235