You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Canyon run videos

Keith Smith

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

They're big downloads, but here are some videos of XP9, with some fast runs through the Grand Canyon:

Video 1 - External view of F4 Phantom taking off from KGCN, entering Grand Canyon, and making a run along the river.

Video 2 - Internal view of same scene

Video 3 - Following Ian Elchitz through the canyon in multiplayer.

More info about the 3 videos is here

All of the videos end in my demise, but that's ok, it's a technology demo, not a flying demo!

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

CLICK HERE for a high res pic from the vid (1920x1080)

Two interesting points are the water reflections (which I turned up to max for this replay to get this shot), and the jet blast hitting the water (the white puffs behind the plane).

The max reflections really don't hurt the frames too much, I'll probably leave them on going forward!

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Beautiful!

Would an AVI format of the movies make sense? Those are pretty fat.

Seeing the a/a loadout you've got there, I'm surprised the let a maniac like you loose with hot loads. Then again, it's a wonder you didn't get rid of them just to get another 10 knots worth of suicidal speed.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Wayne,

The capture was done using xplane's built-in movie recording. Using FRAPS, I'm sure a lower bandwidth codec could be used to generate a smaller file.

• 4 weeks later...
Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Here are some smaller, shorter videos from a subsequent run through the canyon in the F4.:

QT movie 1 (20MB)

QT movie 2 (9MB)

QT movie 3 (15MB)

QT movie 4 (17MB)

QT movie 5 (13MB)

QT movie 6 (10MB)

QT movie 7 (10MB)

Movie 3 starts with a recovery from blackout after a high G turn. We also drag a wingtip through the ground (which, luckily, xplane doesn't detect).

Movie 5 shows the reflection of the plane in the water.

Movie 6 shows the effect of the jet blast hitting the water.

Movie 7 shows a two aileron rolls on the downline with an aggressive pull to avoid the river, resulting in jet blast.