You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Panel on side of comp

Ryan Guffey 956726

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Regarding the buzzing though this sounds like hardware failure to me. ... FS9 has been ruled out, addons have gone west and tempreture has been flogged to death. I'm erring on the side of failing motherboard or more than likely failing ram.

You really should have more faith in hardware.

The nasty buzzsaw sound is a pretty common thing - I had a member complaining about it on our forums just last night, and I recall my old ABIT IS-7 had onboard sound that Lucifer himself would have been proud to call his progeny.

I've generally found that a) onboard sound until recently was [Mod - lovely stuff]; b) onboard sound drivers until recently were [Mod - lovely stuff]; and c) that nasty noise was pretty common. I'd suggest he go into DXDIAG and turn down the acceleration level for his sound driver by a notch or two and see if that makes a difference. I've generally had to do that even with add-on cards; I'm not 100% sure it's made a difference but it seems to reduce crashes.

I would without doubt though try and get a new PSU (powersupply unit) first and get a 650 watt just to be safe. I got one for £17 and it works a charm.

If he's got a 480 watt power supply he should be fine. No need to spend money without reason.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.