You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

KJFK no ATC procedures

Ka Iao Leong 982332

Ka Iao Leong 982332
Posted
Posted

Hi all, first wish you will all have a good Christmas.

I am planning to fly in KJFK from CYYZ as my first flight in North America, (I have flown quite a lot around Asia and Europe , i think...) I checked the JFK charts and all the STARs end at a fix and it says on the charts (expect vector to final.) That's fine if there's atc online, how about no atc? what path should I fly to the first point of the ILS from the last STAR point ? direct ? or there is some procedures for this?

Also, for the departure, if no atc online fly direct to first waypoint after the climb procedures?

many thanks!

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted
Hi all, first wish you will all have a good Christmas.

I am planning to fly in KJFK from CYYZ as my first flight in North America, (I have flown quite a lot around Asia and Europe , i think...) I checked the JFK charts and all the STARs end at a fix and it says on the charts (expect vector to final.) That's fine if there's atc online, how about no atc? what path should I fly to the first point of the ILS from the last STAR point ? direct ? or there is some procedures for this?

Also, for the departure, if no atc online fly direct to first waypoint after the climb procedures?

many thanks!

This example is VATSIM's weak point. You either vector yourself to join the final, or fly any approach that doesn't say "RADAR REQUIRED", since there is no radar available at the time. 99.9% of the time, however, you'll find pilots vectoring themselves.

Ka Iao Leong 982332
Posted
Posted

Thanks Travis, so....I think I will have a go tomorrow in America. Thanks for your fast reply

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

When I fly to a non controlled airport, I fly to the final fix on the chart then "vector" myself in

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Ka,

As Travis has pointed out, sometimes the gap in VATSIM reality when there is nobody who can provide radar services for your transition from the en-route environment to the terminal environment means the savvy pilot will have a "lost comms" plan, where you can navigate on your own to the IAF for the chosen approach (ILS, RNAV, VOR, NDB).

This is where doing some preflight planning pays off, as in RW, this is always a contingency how to get from point A to point B, solid IMC without any ATC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance. Of course in RW not alot of pilots are flying into JFK without ATC, as well as flying NORDO (No Radio). So a simple answer, study the SID's, STAR's and all the instrument approaches, look for the "lost comms" procedures, and have a "plan" on how you're going to get your bird from the en-route phase to the approach on your own, and your in the gold!

Remember, in the end it's the pilots responsibility to navigate via instruments (IFR flight plan) safely from takeoff to touchdown, as ATC is only there to provide traffic separation services, not to be the pilots 'navigator'!

Cheers!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Levi Duroy 981416
Posted
Posted

your best bet is to find routes through simroutes or others.You can find approach and departure charts through airnav or the artcc you will be approaching in's website.I almost never use an FMC,so I always copy down points on the charts and any restrictions so incase an ATC pops up,I am prepared to go on "as filed."