You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Best Headset?

John Cierpial 1008209

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

Hey guys I have a Plantronics Audioâ„¢ 350 Ultimate Performance Headset. This headset I have had for a year and now when i plug the headphone jack in, I no longer get sound unless I jiggle it and have the wire pulled taut. So I want to get a new headset. It needs to connect to my soundcard (no USB) Anybody have some good suggestions? I'll mostly be using it for ATC with the occasional flying too

CTP Planning Team Member

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Stick with Plantronics!

Bill Casey

Mike Phyrio 988306
Posted
Posted

I've got a set of Altec Lansings I really can't find fault with.

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

Any model numbers so I can do some comparisons?

CTP Planning Team Member

Mike Phyrio 988306
Posted
Posted
Any model numbers so I can do some comparisons?

Mine just say SRS on 'em. I went to the Altec site and couldn't find anything that looked exactly like them. I've had them for awhile so it's probably the same deal as with anything else electronic nowdays; they go to some outfit in Taiwan or India or Maylasia or Guatemala and have them build 25000 of some thing or other and then change the design the next week and you can never find the same thing again. Ah, modern life.

I was looking for a headset with a mic that had two separate connectors for the mic and phones and Altec has never let me down yet.

I got mine at Best Buy here. That's not saying that any other place anywhere in the known universe (and Texas) has the same thing.

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

I'm just looking for one that can survive having its plugs being yanked out of my sound card connectors. I am constantly pulling out the plug either to mute the mic or so i can listen through the speakers. Apparently from what I've read, Plantronics builds headsets with thin wires who tend to not handle being yanked well. So I need a headset that connects into my soundcard and can easily have its plugs pulled out and put back in over and over again

CTP Planning Team Member

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

No electronic device does well with having the plug removed by the wires.

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

Yeah what Garry said.

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted
Hey guys I have a Plantronics Audioâ„¢ 350 Ultimate Performance Headset. This headset I have had for a year and now when i plug the headphone jack in, I no longer get sound unless I jiggle it and have the wire pulled taut. So I want to get a new headset. It needs to connect to my soundcard (no USB) Anybody have some good suggestions? I'll mostly be using it for ATC with the occasional flying too

I've bin through so many $50 Plantronics headphones that it isnt funny. I went through a series of $100->$150 logitech speakers. I've bought a "cheapish" set of 5.1 (logitechs Z-530's) and i still wasn't happy. However this is not a story of sadness, but one of great joy and happiness.

I have two links for you,

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_aviation

"General" Aviation Headphones (im not actually sure if these will plug into a PC via audio jack, or if they're made specifically for AC. But if your interested send them an email)

I've bin using SennHeiser 2.1 HD 485 headphones. The clarity is superb, adjustable, comfortable, noise canceling, The wire to the headphones is removable, so when you transport your wires in the headphone itself dont get trashed. Only minus is no microphone, but ive got a desktop one anyway.

$135 Aussie Dollars. So probabally around $180 for you yanks

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/500266

John Cierpial 1008209
Posted
Posted

I realize that But what I'm saying is there are some headsets with flimsy wires that look like they'll break instantly and there are others that are very thick. I'm looking for good, durable headsets

CTP Planning Team Member

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

Thick and strong, they're so light that ive tried to walk away several times and the plugs just fallen out of the headphone and they hit the ground. No damage. ive done it a couple times. Its a smart system, and the wires appear to be quite strong.

John White 824274
Posted
Posted

Joe,

If you're constantly unplugging and plugging in just pick up one of these devices: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2262045&cp=2032061.2032365.2032388&pg=4&parentPage=family

I've had a similar model for years and it's the best 10 beans I've ever spent on my computer!

John

Cheers,

John

XXX977

"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

-Groucho Marx

• 1 month later...
Charles Farley
Posted
Posted

Just bought a Sennheiser 156 USB headset after my Logitec bit the dust after three months. I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait. I hear good things about Sennheiser.

3151.png

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

While on the subject of headsets does anyone know if there is a good quality wireless headset avaiable. can be usb or 1/8'' jack. Thanks

Tom Bergman

CEO of SkyWest Virtual

[email protected]

www.skywest-virtual.com

Tom Bergman

Hemisphere Virtual Airlines

www.hphvirtual.com

Ondrej Cada
Posted
Posted

I do have Sennheiser PC35 USB headset.

It's very light, so I can barely feel it on my head, but the quality is superb.

Sennheiser rulezz!

Donald Hudson 947262
Posted
Posted

14.99 Wal-Mart Crystal-clear.

klaxsigxs0.jpgeasternlogoze0.png