You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What joystick do you have?

Dylan Kay 974936

Dylan Kay 974936
Posted
Posted

What joystick or other input device(other than a keyboard) do you own?

I have a Logitech Freedom 2.4GHz Cordless.

Dylan Kay

Oakland ARTCC S3

42501.gif

96.png

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

X52 joystick and Saitek rudder pedals (both non-Pro versions).

8564.png

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

Logitech Extreme 3d Pro not the best but hey it does the job.

955672.png

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

CH Yoke & Pedals

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Seth Laws 1023369
Posted
Posted

Logitech Attack 3

and

CH Products Flight Sim Yoke

3.png

Without dreams, life ceases to entertain.

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

Saitek X52 (Joystick and Throttle)

Logitech Attack 3 (loaned to my brother/he loaned me FS )

vatme-sig.jpg

Yvan Ung 987353
Posted
Posted

Saitek Aviator (prior to December 25th I used my second-rate stock keyboard to pilot)

Regards,

Yvan Ung

Come pilot the longest and sharpest flying pencils of the online world!

China Eastern Virtual

Steven Bryce
Posted
Posted

The original Microsoft Sidewinder (non force feedback it a beauty!) no complaints using it for the last 7 or 8 years!!!!!

Cheers Steve

Emirates VACC S3

994379.png

994379.jpg

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

I originally forked out $200 for the X-52 Pro, thinking it would be worthwhile.

Worked well for several months, now the drivers are playing up, the joystick doesn't center properly, i cant un-bind rudder to the rotating sliders. So i've given up on the X-52. I borrowed my friends Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, i'm surprised to say that this $80 joystick was better then the saitek ever was!

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

The Saitek X45. It was about the fourth joystick I bought within about two months of starting Flight Simulator back in 2004.

Other Joysticks are the Saitek ST90 and the Logitech Attack 3. I like them all, but I like the X45 by far. If I purchased another one for my personal use it would be the Saitek 52.

My X45 started to squeak and not move as fluid as it did when it was new. I put a few drops of WD40 down the shaft. It removed teh squeak and made the action as good as new. That was about two years ago. Haven't had that type of problem since.

When I first upgraded to Vista, it worked perfect initially. Then it started to have calibration flaws. Installing the drivers made it worst. I had problems with it for a few days until I discovered beta drivers that you can find if you register to their forum and read their announcements. Without registering to their forum and happening to notice the announcement you'd never find the beta drivers that works. Also found it was necessary to delete two registry entries to remove the previous driver configuration.

The Vista drivers are beta drivers.

I believe they should put an announcement on their site for people who might not signup for the forum to at least have a heads up of what to do to fix the Vista problem.

Other than having to join their forum to get working drivers, I haven't had or seen any other problems with the joystick for 4 years.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Michael DeGroat
Posted
Posted

Used my keyboard for about a year after buying FS. Then I decided to spend a whole $20 on the Saitek ST290 Pro. It's cheap, but it gets the job done. And it's tons easier to use than the keyboard!

0.png

Yvan Ung 987353
Posted
Posted
Used my keyboard for about a year after buying FS. Then I decided to spend a whole $20 on the Saitek ST290 Pro. It's cheap, but it gets the job done. And it's tons easier to use than the keyboard!

I spent an entire year trying to master the keyboard and I can't still get the centerline in an ILS approach if I turned a tight turn before being established on the localizer.

I always said, the realism of a joystick has to be earned by mastering the keyboard.

Regards,

Yvan Ung

China Eastern Virtual

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I always said, the realism of a joystick has to be earned by mastering the keyboard.

There's no way you'd convince me to learn to fly an aircraft with a keyboard. I would say the realism of a joystick has to be earned only by buying a joystick.

To answer the original question, I use CH yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant. I also have a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick for flying helos or the upcoming AirlinerXP Airbus.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Yvan Ung 987353
Posted
Posted

What would you do if one breaks his joystick in a tough crosswind landing? (I remember an account from which one broke his joystick in a tough crosswind landing, in KDEN at that).

In that situation I would use the keyboard to taxi.

Regards,

Yvan Ung

China Eastern Virtual

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
What would you do if one breaks his joystick in a tough crosswind landing? (I remember an account from which one broke his joystick in a tough crosswind landing, in KDEN at that).

I would do two things ... I would reprimand myself for not properly controlling the airplane (under no circomestances should you ever apply so much force to a controller that you'd break it) then I would end the flight and fix or replace the joystick.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

In that situation I would use the keyboard to taxi.

I'd plug in one of my other Joysticks in the meantime.

I find there are so many things to learn concentrate on with VATSIM and FSInn, so trying to impose an unnecessary handicap would be throwing to much into the mix.

There was a time when I used to work on my car and use Vice grips rather than the proper wrench. I used the same mentality of what would I do if I didn't have my wrench. I eventually decided it would always be best to get the correct tool and do a good job rather than struggling, spending a lot of time not doing things the best way in the first place.

I find my time using the correct tools to be more efficient, giving me more time to do other things... plus I have the satisfactory of being happy with the job done correctly.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Alberto Molteni 915217
Posted
Posted

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.

Alberto Molteni

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

How do those of you with force feedback joysticks like them?

Does it work well with FS9?

ZAU_DB

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted
I use the same joystick with the x52 throttle I broke my x52 joystick during a tough cross wind landing into KDEN.

The joystick "actually" did not "break" but the rudder twist did not work right after that flight as it always pulled to the right. I was doing crosswind practice after watching a video on you tube and the winds at Denver were perfect!

I use the X52 throttle with the Aviator joystick now.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Michael Iacovetta 911721
Posted
Posted

ch yoke, saitek throttle and pedals.

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted
CH Yoke & Pedals

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

David Kluempers
Posted
Posted

I just got the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Throttle Quadrant for Christmas. I picked up the Pro Flight Rudder Pedals yesterday. I played with the Yoke and Throttle Quadrant and they seem to work quite nice. The only bad thing is that they will not mount properly on my desk due to the underdesk keyboard tray on the desk. I have either look for a new desk or look into rigging something to mount them on. Either way I am lookig forward to using them.

I really like the feel of the Yoke.

Happy Holidays All.

David Kluempers - 884266

VATSIM USA Division

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted

I have had the CH Yoke and Pro Pedals for about 2 & 1/2 years now, and a really ancient joystick (maybe one of the first USB models). I almost never use the CH Yoke because I think the springs are too strong. Having flown real Cessna 152 and 172's I can say that it's much easier to move a real yoke than the CH Yoke. I'm either going to sell my CH Yoke or give it to a relative since I never use it, and don't plan to use it anymore.

This Christmas I received the Logitech Attack 3 and so far I love it. I can use it with either hand, depending on whether I'm flying right seat or left seat, it has a lot more buttons than my old joystick, and I like the resistance level. I only wish it had a HAT switch so I could look around more easily. Still, it's a huge improvement over the old Gravis Destroyer Xtreme joystick that I was using before.

Sean Reeder 961605
Posted
Posted

I have a x52 pro. The only good thing seems to be the mfd. Need to make the springs stronger to make it more realistic.

Ondrej Cada
Posted
Posted

Saitek X52 Pro + Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

My schoolmates say I'm crazy that I spent nearly 400$ for a joystick.

I had Microsoft Sidewinder 2 before, but I wanted to upgrade .