You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Using Callsigns

Michael Ruane 861948

Michael Ruane 861948
Posted
Posted

Hi

Had my very first online ATC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]isted flight on Saturday - what a buzz...

This led to a question that I have not found an answer to in the Resource Centre and wondered if someone could help me with (ps I also posted this question on Avsim so this is a duplicate). My question is:

What standards are in place to control the use of callsigns in Vatsim. I have just adopted a strategy of using the Livery and a number that I like. When flying GA aircraft I use a call of ZK-MAR. I am concerned that when operating the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger jets I could be selecting a callsign that is in use by someone else.

So what are the rules for selecting a callsign.

PS Thanks to the NZ_CTR controller last Saturday who shepherded QF900 to NZCH ILS02. A whole new world opened

Cheers Mike

NZWN

Cheers Mike

NZWN

Kiel McGowan 813486
Posted
Posted

No one can have a registered callsign. So you are free to use whatever you would like. VA's are the only ones that really [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign callsigns but most have procedures if its in use. Such as if you are UPS903 and the UPS903 in the VA wants to fly, they will simply make it UPS1903. So dont worry, be creative and have fun with whatever callsign you want!

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

And Michael, if you try to logon with a callsign that someone is using you will get a message saying:

"Error: Callisgn in use"

so you can't logon with another callsign the same anywhere in the world.

As an aside, in the REAL WORLD, New Zealand is actually displayed on the ATC radar as ZKMAR not ZK-MAR and in the Oceania region we're trying to encourage use of the this method, without the hyphen.

Welcome online!

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Michael Ruane 861948
Posted
Posted

Thanks Keil and Mark

I have finally figured it out now (thanks to the forums). Today I searched the local airline website and found the real world departures and just pinched the real world flight number. I timed the flight to match the real world version and off I went (as NZ452 NZCH-NZWN). The funny thing was, as I was approaching NZWN, I had the real world ATC tuned in on the scanner and at darned near the same time as I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed through 11,000 I heard the real world version calling ATC for approach clearance. Quite disconcerting really but a good laugh. I made an ILS approach however the real world version made a visual approach so beat me in.

This just gets better every day!

Mark, thanks for your welcome and the update on the use of the ZKMAR callsign. I did wonder about that and have used that call both with and without the dash. I will now omit the dash (unless I am operating the Dash 8... sorry) from now.

Cheers Mike

NZWN

Cheers Mike

NZWN

Michael Ruane 861948
Posted
Posted

Mark, another quick unrelated question.

Listening to Real World ATC today I noticed that the Tower appears to be getting GPWS system alerts from approaching aircraft and is able to warn pilots to check their altitude. It has happened a number of times this afternoon at NZWN. Is that (equipment) something you have experienced in the RW. I think it has only been implemented here recently because I do not recall hearing those kind of alerts to pilots before today.

I do not think it has come from the tags because the Tower is providing the alert rather than the Terminal controller.

Cheers Mike

NZWN