You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

coming up: smart ATC sectors on map

Michal Rok

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Just to let you know that I'm finishing work on new, smarter ATC sectors display algorithm. Until now, you could hardly ensure that a particular callsign will show on map as something else than a trivial "entire FIR" or "circle around airport".

From now on, you will be able to freely define ATC sectors by means of coordinates (with VRC sector file format being accepted on input). Once ATC sectors are defined, it will be possible to create rules that - if conditions are met - will light up particular previously defined sectors. The rules engine and the sectors already work, I'm currently busy copying the existing definitions into the new system.

What does it mean for real life?

- you can distinguish between NZAA-A_CTR and anything else matching NZAA*_CTR

- you can show EPKK_APP in it's real boundaries, rather than a standard 100 nm circle around EPKK

- you can differentiate between ML-BIK_CTR and ML-CAN_CTR

- you can adjust the way Ireland (EISN) CTR is shown

- you can even display the French CTR sectors based on the frequency picked by the controller (different frequency - different shape)

- you can have Potomac Approach and all NY_*_* sectors displayed in accordance with their real area of responsibility

... and so on, all the things that were outstanding since April can be now fixed and improved well beyond the stuff that was possible in i.e. Servinfo. In general, you will get much better corelation between the area actually served by the air traffic controller and what is shown on the map.

Keep in mind that such rules and ATC sectors are defined on vroute's server, so they affect the user base instantly without having to distribute an add-on to the users.

When? Should go live end of January.

How to? Don't send me your sectors yet, await further information.

Demo (Brisbane Downs Centre):

bn_dos.jpg

Michal

vroute.net founder

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Michal

You're a BLOODY MARVAL! What a fantastic Christmas present!

We've just renamed all the New Zealand Sectors because of the pending update to ServInfo and the "old" way that SI reads position names and now of course they're not being recognised in the current version of vroute so this is fantastic news for us. They have been renamed from NZCH_A_CTR to NZCH-A_CTR etc.

Speaking of which, is there a method to add the new names with the hyphen instead of an underscore to the ATC bookings portion of vroute as currently the "ADD POSITION" in the current version of vroute doesn't like the hyphen.

Well done on this awesome new feature!

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I have no problem to modify "old" vroute to treat hyphen the same was as it treats underscore now, if that solves the problem?

Michal

vroute.net founder

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

Wonderful work! I can see Steve Ogrodowski's "CLE_WTF_CTR" video becoming something old timer's joke about.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

Excellent feature Michal, looks good.

955672.png

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
I have no problem to modify "old" vroute to treat hyphen the same was as it treats underscore now, if that solves the problem?

Michal

If you could Michal that would be wonderful, would solve the issue for us!

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

OK, try now please.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
OK, try now please.

Michal

Michal

Getting the error message:

Error fetching data from server:500

invalid callsign

I tried to add: NZCH-A_CTR, NZCH-W_CTR, NZCH-N_CTR and NZCH-S_CTR and same result each time.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

OK, one more security restriction that I did not lift... Please try again now. If one callsign gives you an error, don't check the remaining ones. Sorry to bother you with checking, but it is easier that way than adding myself to VATNZ to be able to check that end-to-end.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
OK, one more security restriction that I did not lift... Please try again now. If one callsign gives you an error, don't check the remaining ones. Sorry to bother you with checking, but it is easier that way than adding myself to VATNZ to be able to check that end-to-end.

Michal

Excellent work Michal, all now work 100% and added without an issue. Really appreciate your help and Happy New Year.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
Excellent work Michal, all now work 100% and added without an issue. Really appreciate your help and Happy New Year.Mark

Michal

The bookings showed in my bookings page but do not appear in the New Zealand airspace page as booked and did not update from the script we call to show bookings for New Zealand on the VATNZ homepage.

I can send you screenshots later on if you like.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

There were more things to fix, this time in VATBOOK and not in vroute.info.

Right now I see one booking of yours for NZCH-A_CTR (with hyphen in callsign) for Jan 28th showing up properly in NZ booking calendar and marked internally az NZZC FIR which was clearly the reason why it did not show where you expected it to show. I also created one booking myself for NZCH-W_CTR and it was also marked as NZZC FIR internally.

So, please give it one more try and let me know if you encounter any more problems.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
So, please give it one more try and let me know if you encounter any more problems.

Thanks Michal

Will do it tonight when I get home from work and let you know.

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
Will do it tonight when I get home from work and let you know.

AND IT WORKS!

Thanks Michal... Now getting back onto subject, I'm really looking forward to this new feature.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

OK, if you'd like to remove the old callsigns (the ones that are no longer used), send me a list by email.

Michal

vroute.net founder