You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Stupid computer

Ryan Guffey 956726

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

Im still having FPS issuses. My Freezing has pretty muched stopped but it has happened a couple times no biggie. I used to get between 30-40 FPS with my old PNY 6800GS Overclocked and Old heatsink with fan. I now have a New Zalman Heatsink with fan that is all Copper and a XFX 8600GT 512MB core clock 540mhz. I have tried all kinds of different drives with no luck. My biggest loss of FPS is with SB. I HATE SB now. I loose almost 15 FPS with it. Today I was getting 40FPS in the PMDG737 cockpit at HOU today and when I loaded SB outside of FS it just drops almost 15-20 instantly.

When I got in the air frames were around 20 and dropping, and when I hit the clouds it dropped to 10. I was so [Mod. You kiss your mother with that mouth? ] I disconnected. I checked my GPU temp and it was almost 50. So mabye im thinking my GPU is getting to hot now. I was thinking of getting this. http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=289&code=013. The fan on this card isnt very big to begin with. Ive put as much money on this comp as when I first bought it.

Before I changed to the 8600GT I put in this new fan...

p1020427ef5.jpg

Ive been bugging everyone about my computer issues, but there is really nobody else to go to. Ive talked to the people at the computer repair places and they just say my CPU was overheating. Well yes it was and I got that fixed with this...

Zalman Heatsink and Fan. All copper.. My CPU runs around 40 celcius most of the time.

p1020428hh6.jpg

p1020429mn2.jpg

Here is my system info

18267536sp4.jpg

cpuwb5.jpg

I run most of everything on high and extremely dense. I have autogen on low right now because who needs to see trees at 30k. I know my computer should be able to handle these settings because Ive seen it before. BTW the power supply is not the issuse. Ive been thinking of overclocking my CPU to 2.6 ghz but I just dont know if my new Copper heatsink will handle it. My CPU is already almost 3 years old. I just did a system recovery so I would have to see hard evidence before I did that again. It may be just one DLL doing this, I wish I could just find it and fix it.

VATSIM Supervisor

James Duncan 1001989
Posted
Posted

Have a look at your PSU, power-supply-unit.

Matthew Brown 960601
Posted
Posted

Try running squawkbox externally from flightsim. It may be a pain to switch windows every so often, and you won't be able to use full screen view for obvious reasons, but i was losing about 10fps off norm. because of the mere squawkbox window being in flightsim. Just an idea. Sorry i can't help with any of the technical solutions

sig.jpg

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted
Have a look at your PSU, power-supply-unit.

I already said it wasnt my PSU. Tests have been run already. Matthew, I do run FS externally. I still loose almost 15-20FPS

VATSIM Supervisor

Nick Banks 1025540
Posted
Posted

I think you have mounted your HS/F the wrong way. Try with the fan pointing toward the front of the case as it is intake and providing you fan on the back of your case is exhaust, it will let the hot air out and vice versa for intake on back of case. Also what are your FS settings? AA off and tri-linear?

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

Try FsInn. I haven't looked back since

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted
I think you have mounted your HS/F the wrong way. Try with the fan pointing toward the front of the case as it is intake and providing you fan on the back of your case is exhaust, it will let the hot air out and vice versa for intake on back of case. Also what are your FS settings? AA off and tri-linear?

No I dont.. http://www.zalman.co.kr/images/pr/computex2005/image28.jpg... You cant mount it any other way.. AA is 2X. AF is 16X. and Triliner.

I used to have 4X and still get 35FPS atleast.

VATSIM Supervisor

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted
Try FsInn. I haven't looked back since

Ive thought of that too. SB is just so easy to use. But if I dont loose 15-20FPS anymore than its all worth it.

I still dont understand with the performance loss and all that I have installed. BTW I forgot to say I have COD4 installed and all settings on High and it runs great.

VATSIM Supervisor

Nick Banks 1025540
Posted
Posted

Which one is it? I have the 9700LED but for Intel 775. Maybe different for AMD?

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

I have the 1 intake fan on the side. And there are tiny holes on the front bottom part of the case for air. The back fan is the exhaust fan. I dont think my CPU is overheating still. Mabye its just dying because its almost 3 years old.

VATSIM Supervisor

Nick Banks 1025540
Posted
Posted

Could be. Maybe reinstalling the sim/sb or even XP would help, get rid of all the [Mod - lovely stuff] on your PC?

James Dean 1036133
Posted
Posted

I would just invest in an Nvidia 8800GT or for cheaper a 7900 my mate has the 8800GT runs fine with FSX only issue he has is the PMDG 747 FSX version which he says jerks a tiny bit but still playable and yes he maxes out FS9 with active sky mega frankfurt, heathrow etc, AES and nearly maxes FSX out.

His comp is pretty old about a year it was a dell.

But cooling won't solve all your problems from what i can see, he just has standerd cooling. I'm waiting for my PC which will run things fine, with your rig i can't see why you won't have a problem.

James

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted
I would just invest in an Nvidia 8800GT or for cheaper a 7900 my mate has the 8800GT runs fine with FSX only issue he has is the PMDG 747 FSX version which he says jerks a tiny bit but still playable and yes he maxes out FS9 with active sky mega frankfurt, heathrow etc, AES and nearly maxes FSX out.

His comp is pretty old about a year it was a dell.

But cooling won't solve all your problems from what i can see, he just has standerd cooling. I'm waiting for my PC which will run things fine, with your rig i can't see why you won't have a problem.

James

Im not buying a new GC. I just threw down $400 dollars on 2 fans. New Copper heatsink and 8600GT. I shouldnt be having these problems. Im coming to a conclusion that I must have installed something at sometime that one of the DLL's are just interfearing and killing my comp

VATSIM Supervisor

Nick Banks 1025540
Posted
Posted

I would reinstall everything. It is known to make frame rates better because all the bad stuff from your PC is gone.

James Dean 1036133
Posted
Posted

wowsers... thats bit of money man!! No, don't think i would either. Have you tried doing a system restore? You won't lose no files besides any driver updates ...

or do whats best - back up your Aircraft and probably the other 14gb worth of flight simulator stuff clear it down and start over. Be a h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]le but be like a brand new pc

James

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

I thought FsInn was hard to use but after a week I had gotten used to it.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted
wowsers... thats bit of money man!! No, don't think i would either. Have you tried doing a system restore? You won't lose no files besides any driver updates ...

or do whats best - back up your Aircraft and probably the other 14gb worth of flight simulator stuff clear it down and start over. Be a h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]le but be like a brand new pc

James

Well I was thinking of doing a complete reinstall and not keep all of it. It would take me about a day to reinstall everything. I still think it may be something "inside" of FS that may have done it.

VATSIM Supervisor