You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Advice on purchase of new computer

Bruno Cote

Bruno Cote
Posted
Posted

Looking at purchasing a new computer and I am in a bit over my head as far as evaluating the components recommended by the salesperson.

Motherboard S775 ASUS P5K SE P35 PCIE

Processor INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850 3.00G/1333/4M/S775

Memory CORSAIR 800MHZ DDR2 NO-ECC 2048MB TWINX

Hard Drive SATA2 320.0 W.D 7200 16M WD3200AAKS

Power Supply 550W POWER ATX ANTEC TRUE550 TRIO

Optical Drive DVD+/-RW LG GSAH55N DL 20/20/+10 OEM BLK BLACK

MS-WIN XP PRO OEM EN SP2C 1PK

Video Card SAPPHIRE PCIE RAD HD3850 512M TVO LITE

Additional Sound Card STD SOUND CARD PCI-32

I presently use FS9 and VRC.... considering for the future FSX, X-Plane and Euroscope.

Just wondering if these components made sense for the intended use. Would anyone have a guess of what the framerates would be with FSX with sliders maxed?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew York 944266
Posted
Posted

Well I have a Dell XPS710

Quad core 2.66 GHZ

4 Megs of ram

Nvidia 8800 GTX 768 MB

basicly a very good PC, and i got 15 frames with about half the things on max. Stick to FS2004 with all the addons it is so much better than FSX. Atleast in my opinion.

0898054.jpg

Jim Karn 850752
Posted
Posted
Would anyone have a guess of what the framerates would be with FSX with sliders maxed?

Probably single digits in New York City, London, or any large city. Possibly in the upper 120's pointed directly at the sky with no panel displayed.

In all seriousness, that looks like a very capable machine. FSX is predominantly CPU Dependant, though any weakness in hardware will tend magnify its shortcomings. Moving all of the sliders to the right will produce an enormous slideshow on any machine. Realistically setting the sliders will produce a very satisfying experience.

With FSX in your future, consider 2 X 2GB RAM and Vista x64. DDR2-PC6400 RAM is cheap right now and the x64 version of Vista will take advantage of all of your RAM.

Regards,

Jim Karn

2mdotvp.png

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

Does FSX take advantage of Quad Core at all, or would I be wasting my money with that upgrade?

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Max Udaskin 948868
Posted
Posted
Looking at purchasing a new computer and I am in a bit over my head as far as evaluating the components recommended by the salesperson.

Motherboard S775 ASUS P5K SE P35 PCIE

Processor INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850 3.00G/1333/4M/S775

Memory CORSAIR 800MHZ DDR2 NO-ECC 2048MB TWINX

Hard Drive SATA2 320.0 W.D 7200 16M WD3200AAKS

Power Supply 550W POWER ATX ANTEC TRUE550 TRIO

Optical Drive DVD+/-RW LG GSAH55N DL 20/20/+10 OEM BLK BLACK

MS-WIN XP PRO OEM EN SP2C 1PK

Video Card SAPPHIRE PCIE RAD HD3850 512M TVO LITE

Additional Sound Card STD SOUND CARD PCI-32

I presently use FS9 and VRC.... considering for the future FSX, X-Plane and Euroscope.

Just wondering if these components made sense for the intended use. Would anyone have a guess of what the framerates would be with FSX with sliders maxed?

Thanks for your help.

You cannot go wrong with the P5K... I got it and then got the E6750...2.66 GHz

Go fly a plane...better yet, go build a tree fort and get some fresh air.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

As many people here can attest, as well as those in the simflight.com forums, no-one will be able to achieve good results in FSX with sliders maxed, and no-one probably will for a while. FS9 will do great, but there is still a fair bit that needs to be worked on and expanded in FSX for it to work well, let alone powerful enough hardware to even test out at maxed sliders.

With that said, drop the ATI video card for a Nvidia GeForce 8800GT, and you should be set. That card will eat up that ATI card like kids in a chocolate factory.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
Does FSX take advantage of Quad Core at all, or would I be wasting my money with that upgrade?

~Nate

Affirm, FSX uses multiple cores and therefore will utilise your Quad.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg