You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sell me on X-Plane

David Baker 1004102

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Hey all you X-Plane users out there!

I'm definitely interested in X-Plane because of the flight dynamics, instrument modeling etc.

Let me tell you a little about how I fly. I'm currently on a tour of all the paved, non-private airports in ZAU.

I'm flying the default MS9 C182 skylane. I fly VFR when able, IFR when necessary, and have been grounded a lot lately due to icing airmets.

All flights VFR or IFR are /a. I don't like using the GPS.

Well, needless to say, in the Midwest with no real landmarks, I'm having a difficult time flying using just piloting and dead reckoning especially since I don't know of a way to get the winds aloft that vatsim uses.

I'm considering buying either a roads/rivers type scenery upgrade for FS, which I don't really like the idea of because of mismatching bridges etc, or X-Plane because I hear roads/rivers etc are already realistically positioned.

Could some body post a couple of screen shots of a VFR flight from KOTM to KPEA following either the Des Moines river, or the road that follows the river until Eddyville then branches north through Oskaloosa then over to Pella? I'm interested in seeing any combination of the road, river, towns and any other landmarks (towers/rail/power) that appear on the sectional.

I know that X-Plane has a demo, but not with scenery in this area, and 6 minutes is pretty tough to get an idea from.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Hi David,

I can't take the pics you've requested until some time this w/end at the earliest, but in the mean time, here are some pics of a VFR coast to coast cross country, /U.

http://picasaweb.google.com/keith.smith/EastToWestInTheWarrior

The scenery in x-plane is based on land cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, with great textures representing each cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]. The terrain, road and river data is good within the USA. XP9 introduces water reflections, trees and 25% more detail in the terrain mesh. The pics above are XP8.

I pre-fly most of my real world VFR cross countries with x-plane, and it has been invaluable.

When flying the coast to coast (PC based) flight, I remember the portion of the midwest around Chicago. I relied heavily on roads and the presence of towns, combined with timing each leg.

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Thanks Keith.

I'll be waiting patiently. Ottumwa is currently in IFR with icing (of course) and I don't have de/anti-ice equipmunt.

Mean while I'll take a look at the plethora of photos at the link you posted.

A question about timing the legs: Did you get wind aloft info from somewhere, or just estimate based on differences between projected and actual leg times?

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Another comment.

Screen shots taken from the cockpit would be most useful!

Thanks a lot.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

There are plenty of cockpit shots in the album above, if it helps.

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Just got done looking through them. Must have been a fun journey!

I'm almost sold.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

David,

X-plane has it's advantages and disadvantages - don't think otherwise or you'll be disappointed.

Positives:

1) Great flight model

2) Fairly easy for a mere mortal to create liveries and edit airports with taxi lines, markings and signs. Creating accurate planes and buildings and such is a little more difficult, but not hard for anyone with 3D experience.

3) Solid community

4) Nice, and generally accurate scenery

Negatives:

1) Scenery available for far fewer airports. At an airport for which you don't have scenery, all you'll get is runways and taxiways. No buildings, taxiway markings, signs, etc. Customizing the airport is easy if you're interested, except for the buildings, which take 3D modeling experience.

2) "On your own for resources" A lot of X-plane resources (planes, scenery, add-ons) exist, but you have to find them. The X-plane.org site does a reasonable job of cataloging them. However, it's not like the MSFS world, where if you want something, you log onto your favorite flight sim store and buy a package. That's not to say that payware doesn't exist - some does and is very good - but it's just not the same "retail" experience as MSFS.

3) While the community is good, most VA's and such don't cater to X-plane users. Most won't exclude you, but if you want to create their livery for example, you'll be on your own to create it.

4) Limited FMS and GPS. Right now the FMS and GPS functions are pretty limited. A comprehensive FMS is scheduled for release in February by a 3rd party developer, so we'll see how that turns out.

I'm an X-plane user and quite enjoy it. The few limitations I'm able to easily work around.

Just keep these things in mind as you evaluate the package.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Wade, you're spot on with your analysis. The only thing I'd add emphasis to is the 'great flight model' part. For planes which are designed correctly, the fidelity of the flight model borders on staggering (at least in my mind).

Xplane has improved my real world landings (particularly slips to landing). I don't know of any msfs pilots who feel that the fidelity of the flight model allows them to make the same claim.

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Thanks Wade.

I've been looking at X-Plane for a while and I would have probably listed the same pros/cons based on my research.

My replies as to why I'm interested in it

Pros

1) Great flight model

To me this is almost a bonus. MSFS is o.k., but if I can't navigate the way I want, the best filght model in the world isn't going to get me there.

2) I'm willing to accept this as most of the smaller airports are only there for touch and goes. I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming blender (the open source 3d modeling software) will get me where I need to be should I decide to delve into the buildings/planes department?

3)These type of apps are made or broken by the communities. I'm a big fan of foss and am familiar with linux and having to find my own answers to software problems

4) This is the biggie for me right now.

Cons

1) see 2 above

2) see 3 above

3 ) don't care about VAs right now. No biggie.

4) don't use the GPS much so I'm not too worried about this right now. Wouldn't one GPS option be to have X-Plane drive the software Garmin stuff? I would have thought that to be a fairly descent option and probably superior to the MSFS default GPS. Am I wrong? How?

Thanks for making sure my expectations aren't too high. I'm certainly not expecting an FS9 killer, just something that suits my particular wants a little better.

Cheers,

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming blender (the open source 3d modeling software) will get me where I need to be should I decide to delve into the buildings/planes department?

Yep, as far as I know, both Blender and AC3D work. Naturally some of the more expensive packages do too.

4) don't use the GPS much so I'm not too worried about this right now. Wouldn't one GPS option be to have X-Plane drive the software Garmin stuff? I would have thought that to be a fairly descent option and probably superior to the MSFS default GPS. Am I wrong? How?

I think that is an option, though I've never tried it. And yes, I'm sure that'd be quite superior to the MSFS GPS, even though I've never used it.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

David,

One more thing: from Austin's comments, I think X-Plane 9 is getting ready for "stable" status. When that happens, it will hopefully be only a short time before plugins are updated, etc.

So, you might want to hold off purchasing until you see that happen. I'd hate for you to purchase X-plane 8 and then immediately have to turn around and purchase 9.

(Some plugins like the Goodway flight planner don't work with 9 yet)

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Very good point Wade.

Thanks again.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

• 1 month later...
Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Hi David,

Did you still want some screen shots of that VFR flight you requested?

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

That would be great Keith!

I understand everybody's busy so I didn't want to come off as demanding.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

Steve Willis 1027702
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi David.

Scenery in X-plane?

Below took 10 - 15 mins to 'create; courtesy of a FS9 scenery add-on converted into X-plane.

A few clicks, and you have adequate scenery. Simple, but effective. I can park in the hangar [-: But it will not stop the rain ...(((:

FJDG , some shots at defualt, and those after with the scenery installed. You have to clean a few things up, usually, but it literally takes a few seconds to do with an overlay editor.

Ascension Island, default pics shown. will be next to overlay.

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshotFJGD_4.png

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshot_Ascension.png

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshot_Ascension2.png

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshot_FJDG.png

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshot_FJDGdefault.png

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshot_FJDGnew.png

Most of the Vatsim hubs are catered for.

Edited by Guest

Steve Willis 1027702
Posted
Posted

Shanghai City.

10 minutes ago, no scenery.

Now this.[-:

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshotShanghaintwi_6.png

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshot_3.png

http://graphite888.fileave.com/screenshot_4.png

Looks good in my book.

Enjoy X-Plane David.

Edit: Scenery and conversion can be easy as looking up charts,((:

Take your pick.

http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

David,

CLICK HERE for the pics you requested, OTM to PEA.

I was going to fly it online, but as you can see from the first pic, the weather wasn't exactly fantastic Frame rates are shown on the top left. For the most part, they vary based on how many objects (building) are being drawn. I could've cranked the object density a little higher (more objects, lower frames), it's a sliding scale.

I took off rwy 22, heading towards the river and the road. I joined the road and kept the river off the left side. I backed up my position using the NDB's along the way, but for the most part, I look for the roads, railways and the river, as depicted on the sectional chart.

I made the right turn to follow the road to Oskaloosa, and then departed northwest following another road.

After landing, a flock of birds showed up and eventually parked themselves in front of me. I gunned the throttle and it scared them away. I kid you not.

I hope this is what you were looking for. Yes, there are working cars and trains.

Reece Hunter
Posted
Posted

Keith,

Remember that preppy dude outside the fence that would wave at you as you taxi onto the runway? Is he still in V9?

No intent to hijack the thread. The person waving outside the fence was one of the intricate details in XP that I thought I would mention in support of scaring birds by gunning the throttle.

R

Reece Hunter

vACC Philippines Chief

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Thanks a lot for your time Keith. I appreciate it!

I'll try and find the time to check them out today.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Looking at the pics looks promising indeed.

Its been a bit since I flew the same flight. I'll have to compare, but I suspect it will be difficult to decide that MSFS is anywhere close (at least for VFR navigation).

Again, thanks for taking the time Keith, I truly appreciate it!

Are these from V8 or v9?

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Glad you liked 'em. That was from xp9 beta 24.