You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

re-post solving those aa issues here (nvidia cards)

paul westcott

paul westcott
Posted
Posted

just trying to keep this topic for all to see, so i thought i would repost it here

heres the link for the 9.1 patch : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92CF4B8C-EA69-476B-A276-618C4AB52AAF&displaylang=en

for those that dont have it already.

and another tool for helping with those JAGGIES

http://nhancer.com/

you need microsoft framework 2.0 to run this (free) so here it is :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

follow these instructions closely : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=38921

and you should be good to go,

regards

paul

newironmic.jpg

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted

Can you direct me to a place that has the best settings for Nvidia cards? I've got an Nvidia 8800 GTS with 4 gigs of RAM on my pc but my FPs are still about 20-30 (lower on VATSIM) and it seems like I should be getting more out of my system .

I opened the Nvidia control panel to look at the settings fro FS9 but I'm not sure I'm qualified to make changes there.

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg

"The clueless newb of today is the seasoned loyal pilot of tomorrow." -Elchitz

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I've got an Nvidia 8800 GTS with 4 gigs of RAM on my pc but my FPs are still about 20-30 (lower on VATSIM) and it seems like I should be getting more out of my system?

FS is mostly CPU-bound and the higher-end video cards really only start to shine as the AA/AF values go up, and screen resolutions go up. What FS version, what's your CPU and what screen resolution are you running at?

Cheers!

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted
What FS version, what's your CPU and what screen resolution are you running at?

sim version: FS9

CPU: 2.80 Ghz

resolution: 1280 x 1024 x 32

Here are my sim settings:

settings1.jpg

settings2.jpg

settings3.jpg

settings4.jpg

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

What kind of CPU?

Offhand, I'd turn down the clouds and search for alternate cloud sets. The default FS9 clouds used to kill my frames on my old P4 until I got a DXT3 set.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted

What kind of CPU?

Offhand, I'd turn down the clouds and search for alternate cloud sets. The default FS9 clouds, used to kill my frames on my old P4 until I got a DXT3 set.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke, this is on a Dell XPS 400 desktop which has a Pentium D CPU. I use Active Sky for clouds so I suppose I'm taking a hit there, although I don't recall that much of a change after I installed it.

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Luke, this is on a Dell XPS 400 desktop which has a Pentium D CPU. I use Active Sky for clouds so I suppose I'm taking a hit there, although I don't recall that much of a change after I installed it.

The Pentium D is going to give you less performance than a new Core 2, but I'd guesstimate that its single core performance is pretty close to what I had. You've got a pair of 2.8 Ghz P4 Prescott cores in there; I had a single 2.6Ghz Northwood core. I suspect that you're CPU-limited by the way; at your resolution the 8800 versus a 6800, 7600 or ATI 9800 card would be about the same.

My personal suggestion would be to crank down the cloud percentage from 100 to 50-70% and see what that'll do. Have you compared your FPS in the clouds with during clear weather?

Cheers!

Luke

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted
My personal suggestion would be to crank down the cloud percentage from 100 to 50-70% and see what that'll do. Have you compared your FPS in the clouds with during clear weather?

That's a good question...looks like that's my next experiment. Thanks for the great answers!

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg