You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Matrox TH2Go

Benjamin Van Eps 987241

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Evening all-

Here I am again, trying to convince the simming demons that I don't neeeeed a Matrox Triple Head 2 GO....yes I do, no I don't! Yes, I, DO!

Well, I am really on the verge with this one. Can anyone on the Vatsim forum give me some personal insight and opinion on what you have found to like or dislike about the Triple Head 2 Go?

I currently have a TrackIR 4 Pro, 22" + 19" LCD monitors. I would be ditching the 2 LCDs I currently have an would be starting fresh with 3 matching if I decide to do this.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea? I know what my friends and wife think...

Benjamin

FSE.gif

ASUS P8P67 Pro | 2600k @ 4.7 | eVGA 460 GTX | 8 GB RipJaw | Matrox 3H2Go

Martin Bergin 931070
Posted
Posted

Benjamin,

I have the Triple head to go with three 19" lcd. I found it great value for mooney so much that I find it hard to use a computer for FS/Controlling. Whether flying in a VC across the three screens to using the extra screens for charts (possible chance to sell it to the other half as a cost/clutter saver) I find it a Gods sent. I also find it useful for non-FS work as you can have different app's docomenet open and easily viewable without haveing to switch between them.

If you are getting Triple Head to go get the digital version as this includes software to allow for the gap between screens.

As for a possible downside I have read that some people have had trouble with the TrackIR and the THtoG. I dont have a trackIR - but when you virtual cockpit is 45" wide you tend not to need it........

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Thanks Martin. The question now is, I know that the resolution is 3840x1024 (or close to it) what happens if I use 3 x 22" monitors? Will it dumb down the resolution on the fly.

Man, I love my TrackIR. I think the solution would be to turn down the head to screen movement ratios.

How bad do the sides stretch out? I have seen some screenshots to where they appear to skew a bit.

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
If you are getting Triple Head to go get the digital version as this includes software to allow for the gap between screens.

What does it do to allow for the gap?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

The Matrox driver / software has bezel (sp) management. Supposedly it fills in the gaps of where the frames are. I guess not so much fills in but starts and stop the display at the edges so it accommodates the monitor frames.

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

I got a TH2GO system about two weeks ago and have been seriously digging it. The bezel management is a great feature, it makes a huge difference.

I do not have a TrackIR system and wish I did, I think it would be the final step in this puzzle. With the TH2GO and TrackIR together you'll be very pleased.

Note that you will likely need to use 3 matching monitors in terms of resolution capabilities. I actually have two identical models and then an oddball. While all 3 run 1440x900 natively, the color portrayal on the oddball is just slightly different than the other two, and my toying with the color temperature and other configurables hasn't made much of a difference.

Note that the maximum resolution of the TH2GO is 3840x1024. If you are using widescreen monitors with a 1440x900 native like mine, the true triple resolution would be 4320x900 (1440*3x900). Because of the 3840px horizontal limitation, I have to run at 3840x800 to maintain aspect ratio. It's not a huge difference, especially once you're in the sim, but you may want to plan your monitors accordingly.

Tim Krajcar

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Tim-

Thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone with Matrox and the rep told me that I was in fact better ditching the 22" (widescreen) because the widescreen did throw another wrinkle in the mix. He said changing down both the resolution AND the aspect ratio will have mediocre responses. I think I will just hook up with 3 identical new DVI monitors. It sounds like the way to go.

I have the TrackIR and can't wait to get the Matrox up and running... (minus the price tag)

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Next time you talk to them, ask them if they are ever planning on releasing a product that can support 4320x900..

Tim Krajcar

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Funny you should ask - I already have asked them this about a month ago...

Thank you for contacting Matrox.

Our Graphics Expansion Modules ( GXM s) do support 22â€

FSE.gif

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Can one of you guys describe what "bezel management" means in practical terms? I ask because I have multiple monitors, and I'm curious what the benefit of this feature is.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

In short Ross (as I understand it) - the bezel management does two things

1) The software acknowledges where the monitor frames are and accommodates this for them on the actual display. In other words, there are no hidden pixels behind the monitor frames (which you have two bars to contend with)

2) As the view wraps around the 3 monitors you get a shift in the image where the screens merge. Similar concept as above but it will adjust the side images to line up.

See the link below..

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/media/common/th2go/Digital/Matrox_Monitor_Bezel_Management_White_Paper.pdf

Regardless - I TOOK the plunge... $900 bucks later and the FedEx guy just can't drive fast enough! Tim, I will let you know what I think.

Track IR 4 + Matrox... emm hmmm emmm

Benjamin

FSE.gif

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

900 bucks! Holy sh...

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Yeah, if my wife ever logs on here....delete this post stat! Ha... Actually it took me a good 4 months to get the approval. I was like a little kid... just couldn't live without it. This appears to be the last piece of the puzzle (of course, I say that every time)

Matrox = 300

Monitors = 3x200

The only saving grace is that I have 2 monitors to sell. That will help offset a little bit. I am going to miss my 22" though..dang.

FSE.gif

• 3 months later...
Stan Carney 1057378
Posted
Posted

I am curious too man, Please dont get sooo wrapped up in all that sim love and forget to comment to how cool the set up is. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the same kind of thing. I was researching the monitors when I cam accross this post. I am really curious if this only works in the VC. I kinda like the 2 D cockpit in the larger aircraft...

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Be aware that color temperature of the monitors will flat out vary - even between two of the same model of monitor. It's just the way things are.

You'll need something like the Spider2Pro or another colorimeter to adequately balance the various screens for RGB, WB, and Gamma.

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Stan -

How cool it is....ahh, coolest thing since sliced bread. Really, I haven't regretted one iota with regards to the TrackIR + Matrox + 3 Monitors! Absolutely couldn't imagine every flying without it (although I did for years). My immersion in to the game has increased in measures I can't put a stick on.

Yes, pricey from a checkout standpoint. However, I have come to grips with "same as cash" from newegg.com and all is well and paid for at this point. It's a hobby and I consider it something worth while to study and stay around the house with. (...does it sound like I worked hard at justifying the purchase?... I guess. It's that I was use to buying $40 addons and then it turned in to $400 addons.)

Relating to the color temperature. It's been a non issue. In fact, I bough nearly the cheapest monitors I could (digital versions). I have x3 Hanns G HX191D and the colors have been splendid and matching. I have yet to notice any difference as the images stretch across the screen. Lucky? I don't know....

In the event this hasn't been seen - here is my current set up

Matrox-TripleHead2Go-001.jpg[/img]

FSE.gif

Dustin Robbins 887494
Posted
Posted

vatsimuj2.png

John Binner
Posted
Posted

I got a Triple head last year, but the motherboard I had at the time would NOT shut down the USB connection, and the next reboot the Triple head would not power no the monitors. I have since upgraded and that problem is mute.

However I Am torn now, because I have a Vuzix VR920 coming, which is a set of gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es which "looks like a 62" monitor from 10'" and is worn like a pair of gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, so 3 monitors will do me no good at that point as the display will be IN the gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es. Still, I have used dual-monitors for years for work and play, you just don't realize how NICE it is to copy / paste, etc from one monitor to another till you have them. Seeing all these pretty triple head setups though....I am torn! lol

John Binner,

System Specs:

MB: ASUS M5A99FX

CPU: AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 125W AM3+ Eight-Core 4.0GHz

Video: Nvdia 970

Memory: 16GB DDR3

Win10 Pro 64-Bit

P3D v4, PMDG, ActiveSky, GEX, etc.

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Heck yeah - the rule of 8 hours bottle to throttle does not apply for the arm chair pilot in me.

(Disclaimer: This user does not condone the use of alcohol or illicit drugs while operating any FS equipment)

John Binner - Regarding the power issue. I had the same thing up until about 2 weeks ago. It was rarely a problem as I wouldn't completely shut down all that often. More times than not I would just do a hot reboot and in that case the power to the USB was not reset. I contacted Matrox nonetheless and did a firmware update - it solved the problem.

Matrox for the win over any cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es

Just my .02 - biased sure. True... of course!

FSE.gif

John Binner
Posted
Posted

nice. I might have to look at this then......but turning down the Vuzix gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, that is going to be a tough decision. Might have to stick with two monitors, vuzix for when i fly.

John Binner,

System Specs:

Win10 Pro 64-Bit

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

Vuzix combined with trackIR sounds like an interesting idea. Actually being able to turn your head to look out the side window.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

John Binner
Posted
Posted

don't need the track IR, if you turn your head with the gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es on, you turn your head in the cockpit. the gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es ARE your monitor, nothing else needed.

https://store.vuzix.com/store_VR920.php

displays are built into the gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es.

John Binner,

System Specs:

Win10 Pro 64-Bit

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

What's the resolution look like in those suckers?

640x480 VGA progressive scan LCDs

That seems to me like things would look pretty blocky.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

John Binner
Posted
Posted

nope, not at all. You gotta remember that is EACH EYE, so double that for overall resolution. From their website,

"Just plug in and view extraordinary high resolution video on a virtual display equivalent to a 62-inch screen at 9 feet. iWear® 3D and integrated 3 Degree of Freedom (DOF) tracker and built-in microphone deliver the ultimate interactive online experience."

I flew with them in Seattle at AVSIM FanCon 2007 and LOVE them. Just glad I have a system that will finally run it! lol

John Binner,

System Specs:

Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

They look pretty cool but it's hard to beat looking out the window, to your copilot, zooming up on your radio stack or up at the upper panel etc.

How do you contend with the keyboard or looking at charts? I spend a lot of time with checklists, airport charts, IAPs and a slew of keyboard commands.

Benjamin

FSE.gif