You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SID and STAR Tutorial video

Nicholas Sollazzo 1040387

Posted
Posted (edited)

I forgot where I first saw this video being linked but I feel I should put it here for all those who have ever thought of flying a SID or STAR and never got past the shear look of the thing. I myself, after watching these videos flew my first SID and STAR from KASE to KSDL. The LINDZ Departure and the JCOBS2 arrival. I hope you all enjoy and maybe even sticky these videos.

part1

part2

part3

part4

Oh, and for those of you who use the default planes alot, like I do, where he talks about the FMC, use simroutes.com to build a flight plan file for the flight and replace the SID or STAR name with the individual points listed. Then all you have to do is keep an eye on the altitude restrictions.

while you can be higher than the points listed, be sure to know whether you can make it down to any hard altitudes. For instance, ATC may give you a specific altitude to be at at a certain point. For instance, I was flying the JCOBS2 STAR into Scottsdale and ABQ_CTR told be to be at 12,000 when I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed over SWIRL. A quick glimpse at my chart and there was swirl. After that, I heard almost nothing from ATC till he vectored me for the final. It really does make life easier. Happy flying.

EDIT: Hi guys. Been a long time since I was in vatsim. I checked the links and it looks like that one program is gone as well as fsroute, but those 4 youtube videos are still there and those were the main reason I posted this topic so long ago. I guess myself and everyone else will have to find a new place to get a descent program. If you have a link to a helpful tool, I'll post it here at the top.

Until next time guys, I hope you all have nice flights.

Edited by Guest

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Oustanding. Move to sticky.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Andrew Davies 995276
Posted
Posted

From what I've seen, very, very good.

Andrew Davies

VAT-UK (SCONI RTS) S3

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

Very awesome! Please sticky this post.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Michael Smith
Posted
Posted

your a STAR

Thank you very much for taking the time to put together those great movies. Its going to be a great help to new and old members.

Paul Van Sebille 823628
Posted
Posted

Excellent work Nicholas ....

2847.png

Posted
Posted

I didn't make the movies, I just found them and put them here for all the newbies. The guy who made them deserves all the credit.

• 2 months later...
Dave Dave 1054861
Posted
Posted

and newbies say THANK's, l ami

• 2 months later...
Bernard Flannery 929346
Posted
Posted

Hi 1040387,

Super clips to help all newbie pilots of Vatsim!!

Thank you,

AFA3564

In a learning world...

• 3 weeks later...
Eric Cudney 1071780
Posted
Posted

dang good videos. really helped me out.

Eric Cudney.

see you in the skies

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted
dang good videos. really helped me out.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

• 6 months later...
Tony Hou 1093740
Posted
Posted

It's really good to me who like to fly default aircraft. Thanks a lot.....

• 4 months later...
Nick Giese 959828
Posted
Posted

Please sticky this. It has helped me tremendously!

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

These videos are used in my training program at my VA. Very good for those starting out...highly recommended.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

• 2 months later...
Lennyn Caro 1127338
Posted
Posted

love the video, nice

I forgot where I first saw this video being linked but I feel I should put it here for all those who have ever thought of flying a SID or STAR and never got past the shear look of the thing. I myself, after watching these videos flew my first SID and STAR from KASE to KSDL. The LINDZ Departure and the JCOBS2 arrival. I hope you all enjoy and maybe even sticky these videos.

part1

part2

part3

part4

Oh, and for those of you who use the default planes alot, like I do, where he talks about the FMC, use FSroute.com or simroutes.com to build a flight plan file for the flight and replace the SID or STAR name with the individual points listed. Then all you have to do is keep an eye on the altitude restrictions.

while you can be higher than the points listed, be sure to know whether you can make it down to any hard altitudes. For instance, ATC may give you a specific altitude to be at at a certain point. For instance, I was flying the JCOBS2 STAR into Scottsdale and ABQ_CTR told be to be at 12,000 when I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed over SWIRL. A quick glimpse at my chart and there was swirl. After that, I heard almost nothing from ATC till he vectored me for the final. It really does make life easier. Happy flying.

I'm adding another link here that can be really useful. It's a flight descent program where you enter your groundspeed (found in your GPS or in the main comp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] display on some planes.), current flight level (in XXX format, even if it's below 18,000 ft), the flight level you want to be at and finally how many miles you want to take to be at it.

basically, when you get to your cruise altitude and your speed stabilizes, this will tell you how far out from your target point (the first point in a STAR, or the airport itself) you should start descending and at what rate. Commercial Jetliners generally go for about -1500 so anything below that is good. just adjust the number of miles out and it'll come down. Happy flying.

http://downloads.fs-mp.com/Downloads/miscellaneous/MFCV1.0/MFCV1.0.zip

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

This video is what helped me learn SIDs and STARs a long time ago ! Thats what inspired me to join VATSIM to be honest.

By the way, the author is Tek Turbiasz 1013231 Cheers Mate !

New York ARTCC

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

The videos are so informative, that I require our student controllers to watch them. Simply an awesome presentation.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

• 1 month later...
Jonathan Kraft
Posted
Posted

Great videos!! I'm still having some trouble with the advanced parts of STARs but I think i got the basics down.

AKA363.png

UAL928.png

• 7 months later...
Nicholas Sowers 1150491
Posted
Posted

Fantastic post, explained a lot to me. I had this issue understand some parts of the chart at LAX the other day. This explains a lot to me! Thank you!

• 11 months later...
Allan Rhodes 1194378
Posted
Posted

Great post of info Nick

I don't know if this is just me or not, but the last URL link you posted, I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming it was for the GPS altitude calc you were last referring to in your post, the link didn't work for me buddy. Has there been another posting since then. I haven't searched just yet.

• 6 months later...
Glen Brown 1212956
Posted
Posted

Nicholas,

I know you posted this almost four years ago now, but I'm a VATSIM noob and these have helped me understand a lot! Thanks for posting and thank you Tek for creating them!

Cheers!

• 3 years later...
Daniel Cleary 982049
Posted
Posted

Nicky,

Videos are still working fine!

Very cool!

Thanks a bunch,

Dan C

• 2 years later...
Robert Tabler 1245167
Posted
Posted

Thank you so much for this I really needed a refresher as it has been 6 years since i flew my last flight, so glad to be back , I am going to miss fs nav though , But the videos really helped.

• 3 years later...
xing che
Posted
Posted

appreciate watch