You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

TrackIR 4:Pro

Sven Groot 1044304

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

Any got this thing? (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/ if you don't know what it is).

It looks extremely interesting but I'm wondering a few things.

1. How well does it work in general? Is it easy to use or do you end up looking all over the place and get seasick or something?

2. How well does it work with FSX in particular.

3. The website says it's compatible with Vista x64 but if anyone can confirm that it'd be great.

4. Does it affect performance? If it cuts into my framerates I wouldn't use it. How about with CPU-heavy planes like the PMDG 747? I guess what this depends on is whether it does the tracking in the device itself or on the PC in software.

Any input would be most welcome. Current euro/dollar rates mean that I might actually be able to afford this thing if I buy it using my Dutch bank account.

Creator of VATSIM Monitor, a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista.

7996.png

Oliver Smith
Posted
Posted
Any got this thing? (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/ if you don't know what it is).

It looks extremely interesting but I'm wondering a few things.

1. How well does it work in general? Is it easy to use or do you end up looking all over the place and get seasick or something?

2. How well does it work with FSX in particular.

3. The website says it's compatible with Vista x64 but if anyone can confirm that it'd be great.

4. Does it affect performance? If it cuts into my framerates I wouldn't use it. How about with CPU-heavy planes like the PMDG 747? I guess what this depends on is whether it does the tracking in the device itself or on the PC in software.

Any input would be most welcome. Current euro/dollar rates mean that I might actually be able to afford this thing if I buy it using my Dutch bank account.

TrackIR is the best investment I made since buying FlightSim. Only thing I can note is that it is very important that you have flyable frames in the Virtual Cockpit, as 2D does nothing for TrackIR.

1) It works great, first time you'll feel a little disy (especially on larger monitors)

2) I've only tried it a few times on FSX, works a treat.

3) If they say it I believe it, however I can not comfirm this.

4) No perfomance lose but see my above comments.

Forget ILS approaches, with TrackIR I find it hard to switch the Autopilot on!

Cheers!

siggy.png

Dominic Russell 866138
Posted
Posted

it really is fantastic i have an earlier model and now i hate using 2d panels it runs so smooth and has no impact on FPS. Just make sure your system can run properly in the VC mode if frames are slow it makes the experience not so good.

I would recomend this as an essential piece of hardware if you fly in the VC a lot.

Dom

19.png

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

After going through the order process it turns out they charge about $70 for shipping to Japan. This means it is almost to the cent exactly as expensive as buying it on Amazon.co.jp, where the product price is a lot higher (but I get free shipping).

I really can't afford it, I just upgraded my computer. But since I have no willpower, I bought it anyway. The one advantage is that since I bought it from Amazon and not directly from the makers it'll be here tomorrow. This thing looks incredibly awesome, let's hope it lives up to my expectations.

I always use the Virtual Cockpit anyway, I don't like the 2D panels at all. I get great framerates, only in the PMDG is the VC problematic at times (naturally, most often during landings) but some tweaking with the settings makes it acceptable.

7996.png

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

I am telling you Sven - you will not regret it!

TrackIR 4 Pro took my simulation to the next level. I bought that and haven't looked back since. I have been buying and buying ever since then.

Upgraded the computer, bought a new rudder peddle..today... Matrox Triple Head..

Where does it end I don't know but it begins with TrackIR.

Benjamin

FSE.gif

ASUS P8P67 Pro | 2600k @ 4.7 | eVGA 460 GTX | 8 GB RipJaw | Matrox 3H2Go

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

Oh dear, I sure hope not. I could do without spending more money on FS for a few months. I live off a government scholarship, so I'm not exactly rich.

7996.png

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Sven

I got my daughter to but this for me Christmas 2006 and it was the bets addon of the year. I use it all th etime, it is superb for VFR flying and really does make a heck of a difference.

check my site for an honest review

www.wycliffebarrett.co.uk

look for the heading tRack ir make me sick

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted

One negative view from someone who wears gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, and I would like to hear the views of others who have to wear gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es.

I find that trying to keep my eyes focused as I turn my head away from 'direct on' to the monitor difficult. I should add that I wear varifocal gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es which may add to the problem.

Having said that, I do like the freedom that TIR gives in the VC.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
One negative view from someone who wears gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, and I would like to hear the views of others who have to wear gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es.

I find that trying to keep my eyes focused as I turn my head away from 'direct on' to the monitor difficult. I should add that I wear varifocal gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es which may add to the problem.

Having said that, I do like the freedom that TIR gives in the VC.

I wear gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es and find it no different with my gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es or without. My eyes stays focus on the screen in the same spot, or the same way with or without the gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es.

I don't understand the difficulty you describe.

It might naturally appear awkward at first to maintain your eyes stationary while moving your head to represent looking around. But it's something I adapted to immediately. Maybe you think having the gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es is adding a negative aspect. But it's not something I notice.

I would say, I'd prefer the ability to see as well without gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es and be able to do everything I do with gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, without them. But that's something else that I've already adjusted to.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Varifocal lenses, aka progressive lenses, are akin to bifocal lenses except that they have a continuous range of focus. And one critical difference: They are blurry in peripheral vision. This may render them unsatisfactory when used with track-IR. It's not that the track-IR doesn't work. It's just that what you see when your eyes are looking left or right is blurry. Up and down is alright. So imagine this: You want to look off of your left wing, so you move you head 10 degree left to command the track-IR, and your eyes 10 degrees right so they are still looking at the screen. Track-IR shows you 90 degrees off your left wing. You now see a blurry image of 90 degrees off of your left wing because of your gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es. See what I mean?

I've got a set of single-focus lenses I had my OD prescribe just for computer use, focused at about arm's length. That's what I use when I'm flying. I've got a set of Varifocal lenses as well, which I use for shopping, driving, etc. I've used them with track-IR. They'll do for that, but only in a pinch. Peripheral vision is quite fuzzy with them.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted

You describe the 'problem better than I did Wyane , thanks. I may try the single focus idea.

It is only a problem at extremes such as when trying to get to the F/Os side of the upper panel in the 767 or 747; what I do currently is get the view then pause TIR while I read the gauge or set a switch or control.

Some time ago I used TIR with anaglyph gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es and a Nvidia graphics card with stereo enabled, now that was awesome

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

I wear contact lenses

Anyway, I got it yesterday, and it's awesome! It took me some time to get it working; initially it wouldn't recognize FSX. I tried completely reinstalling FSX, which screwed something up so then I had to do it again and wasted a lot of time with that and it didn't even help. I reinstalled the TrackIR software and that did the trick and now it's working properly.

I've been flying around and it's very nice to be able to look around like that. I've done some patterns and the ability to check where I am in relation to the runway quickly really helps. I still screwed it up because a) I suck at traffic patterns and b) I'm still getting used to the TrackIR.

I also tried it briefly in the PMDG 747 cockpit, although I haven't flown yet, just sat in the cockpit and looked around. Not much VFR flying in that thing, but it'll still be a big help I suspect, since the PMDG VC has the annoying issue that the flight yoke obscures part of the PFD and ND sometimes, which is especially annoying during landings. Am I on glideslope? I don't know, I can't see the glideslope indicator! I always instinctively try to look around the yoke when that happens, and now that might actually work.

I did have some trouble clicking buttons and stuff in the cockpit, but I suspect I'll get used to it. Worst case I could look towards the button, press F9, then click the button. How do you other TrackIR users do that?

In summary, I like it, but I will need some time to get used to it. And get used to wearing a baseball cap; I haven't worn anything on my head since my scouting days, and it feels weird.

7996.png

Kay Wesche
Posted
Posted

Hi Sven,

I also tried it briefly in the PMDG 747 cockpit, [...] the PMDG VC has the annoying issue that the flight yoke obscures part of the PFD and ND sometimes, [...] I can't see the glideslope indicator!

Just click at the bottom part of the yoke. It will minimize and let you see the glideslope again.

bye,

kay.

Kay Wesche - 991619

VATSIM Supervisor | ATC Examiner vACC Germany

RG Frankfurt of VATSIM Germany | http://www.vatsim-germany.org

RG_Frankfurt_sig.jpg

Kay Wesche
Posted
Posted

Hi Sven,

I also tried it briefly in the PMDG 747 cockpit, [...] the PMDG VC has the annoying issue that the flight yoke obscures part of the PFD and ND sometimes, [...] I can't see the glideslope indicator!

Just click at the bottom part of the yoke. It will minimize and let you see the glideslope again.

bye,

kay.

Kay Wesche - 991619

VATSIM Supervisor | ATC Examiner vACC Germany

RG Frankfurt of VATSIM Germany | http://www.vatsim-germany.org

RG_Frankfurt_sig.jpg

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

Cool, I'd been trying to figure out a way to hide it but couldn't find it. Thanks!

7996.png

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Sven

Nice to hear you got the track Ir4 you will soon get used to it and wonder how you managed before with out it.

The baseball cap is a bit of a nuisance and you can't help feeling A bit of a nerd when sat with it on including your headset. After a while you'll be wishing that you bought the Track Clip pro.

This just attaches to your headset and is so light you barely feel it.

This means that you can get rid of the baseball cap, well put it on a shelf and only wear it when you go to a flight sim show.

All the best and enjoy.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

I can't use the trackclip pro, as my headset consists of a single ear and a microphone, so there's nothing to attach the clip too. I got the thing with a webcam and it's brilliant (the webcam itself wasn't nearly as good ). I have a "proper" headset, but the recording quality of the small one is much better and it's more comfortable to wear too.

7996.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have any experience placing the TrackIR camera somewhere other than directly in front of you on top of the monitor? Can it work off to the side a bit, or up higher? I'm thinking about getting one, but I use four monitors, with the fourth one being stacked directly on top of the center one, so there's no way for me to put the TrackIR camera on top of the monitor. Here's a pic of my monitor layout:

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/graphics/user_screenshots/controlling_setup.jpg

Could I still use the TrackIR effectively in this setup? I'm thinking it could go on one of the side monitors, just to the left or right of the upper monitor, or on top of the upper monitor. I read on the TrackIR site that if it's not centered, some movements may be exaggerated (presumably due to the angle to the IR reflectors being skewed) but I can probably live with that depending on how severe it would be. My guess is that if I put the camera on top of the upper monitor, any upward head movements would be exaggerated, which I think would be preferable to having either left or right head movements exaggerated if the camera were off to one side of the upper monitor.

I've asked the TrackIR folks this question but haven't heard back yet.

Any thoughts?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Dominic Russell 866138
Posted
Posted

it doesn't have to be exactly central mine is below my monitor and to the right hand side of it. As long as the front is facing whatever reflective material it's using you should be fine.

Wycliffe: I cut my hat up and just super glued the reflective piece aroiund my mike so now theres nothing visible worked well.

By the way my advice is based around the older track IR so not sure about track ir 4.

Dom

19.png

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

That's a sweet setup!

You can place the TrackIR whereever you like, however at some point you'll be turned away from it so far it can't see the vector thingy anymore and it'll stop working. I think if you'd put it on the top monitor in that setup and point it down a bit it'd still work, but you wouldn't be able to look down very much. If you put it on one of the side monitors you'll lose a bit of range in the opposite direction but it looks like that'd be less than when placing it above.

It's also so small that you might be able to fit it onto the center monitor after all.

EDIT: Come to think of it you could probably turn the reflective vector thingy towards whereever the TrackIR is standing, then you wouldn't lose any range.

7996.png

Ed Tomlinson 1014292
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

I have my TrackIR 4 sitting on top of my CH Yoke. This is working but it is less than an optimal position being much lower than my head. However, I think the TrackIR does quite well at accommodating the offset, just to point out that extreme placement can work.

I have found that if I perform a check to ensure the 3-dots are centered in the Tracking View utility, the little bit of “exaggerationâ€

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Come to think of it you could probably turn the reflective vector thingy towards whereever the TrackIR is standing, then you wouldn't lose any range.

Yeah, I was thinking I might try that. I wear a baseball cap most of the time anyway, so I might use the clip, and just have it off to one side of the visor.

I’d set the receiver on top of the Right corner of your Left monitor.

Okay, I'm convinced. I'll order it today.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Awesome Guys. Sven, glad you like it. Yes, it just takes a little practice and you will have no problems reaching for switches etc. The better the VC the better the TrackIR experience and function.

Ross - you won't regret it.

Now TrackIR + Matrox.... oh yeah, just got it hooked up last night. See link here. The TrackIR and Matrox work like charm together.

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137921

FSE.gif

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted

Glad you are enjoying TIR Sven. If F9 pauses or locks the TIR so the view is locked while you access a switch you may like to try setting the mouse scroll button to that function. I have mine set that way as I will be using the mouse to change a value anyway; so look at the panel, press the scroll wheel to lock the view, then change the value with the mouse and finally press the scroll wheel again to return TIR to its normal function.

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Dave - Great idea. It's nice and accessible now to pause. For what ever reason the center button on mine didn't want to hotkey on TrackIR profile...so I used the backup page key. That's never used in FS so it will work out great!

Thanks for the tip.

Benjamin

FSE.gif